The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
thekuse

1969 C-20 Custom Camper

While restoring my 1969 Chevy, I noticed it used to have running boards, explaining the bolt holes I found underneath. I'm looking for any pictures of a 1969 with running boards to see if I should acquire a pair in the future. I was also wondering if anyone had some picture of the original aftermarket add-ons for these tricks as well. Thanks, Elliot
thekuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
ole dollor

Re: 1969 C-20 Custom Camper

I have no pic's , but I do remember that they sold some aluminum type running boards several years ago. they made them for almost every thing.
you might try google and see if they show any..
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
SS Tim

The add-on aluminum or steel running boards were a later accessory. Really a mid 70s and later sort of thing. Saw a lot of them on dually pickups as they became the "in" truck. Most of the time they end up looking like tacky add ons, being cut from flat stock and extrusions. Just about any old truck magazine will show you a set. Dee Zee comes to mind as on brand.

Now are you sure your truck had running boards? There were semi-popular camper steps that attached to the door and rode in and out of a cab mounted loop as you opened the door. They actually worked once you got past the look or actually needed them.

Running boards in general tend to be too high as an assist step and to me are more akward than useful. They do however make good splash guards.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 04-25-2014 at 07:42 PM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
thekuse

SS Tim, I'm not sure now. Was the second picture the camper steps or would you happen to have a picture of them?? Didn't know there was such a thing!?
thekuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
ole dollor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
The add-on aluminum or steel running boards were a later accessory. Really a mid 70s and later sort of thing. Saw a lot of them on dually pickups as they became the "in" truck. Most of the time they end up looking like tacky add ons, being cut from flat stock and extrusions. Just about any old truck magazine will show you a set. Dee Zee comes to mind as on brand.

Now are you sure your truck had running boards? There were semi-popular camper steps that attached to the door and rode in and out of a cab mounted loop as you opened the door. They actually worked once you got past the look or actually needed them.

Running boards in general tend to be too high as an assist step and to me are more akward than useful. They do however make good splash guards.
Tim that is the ones that I remember. good pic .
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuse View Post
SS Tim, I'm not sure now. Was the second picture the camper steps or would you happen to have a picture of them?? Didn't know there was such a thing!?
The second picture is an automatic camper step kit.
If you look at it the tread is the piece with the beveled ends and the chromed channel mounted to the bottom of the door. The tread attached to the door channel and slid in and out on the hoop bracketed to the cab. I know I have some pictures and if necessary I can probably get a picture/drawing from a J.C. Whitney catalog. But that will have to be later.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
JDL

The first pic is my camper and they do look all right on it and help some.
Agency Iowa
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
swamp rat

Its a 72 but they have been on my truck since my step dad bought it, pretty much in sad shape and will be removing them soon for a set of Aries step bars EDIT, Drivers side is fine, passanger side a bit mashed..
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote