The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
mikl911

1969 Shortbed Step side to shortbed fleetside change.

I'm new to the forum and have a couple of questions. First, what are your thoughts on converting a 69 stepside to a fleetside? The truck is not an all original trailer queen. It has been fitted with a 402 BB and painted a non original color. The look is a personal choice but if there is value in leaving it the way it is I'm ok with that. If I decide to make the switch where is the best place to source a good used box?
mikl911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:08 PM   #2
zicc1835

Re: 1969 Shortbed Step side to shortbed fleetside change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikl911 View Post
I'm new to the forum and have a couple of questions. First, what are your thoughts on converting a 69 stepside to a fleetside? The truck is not an all original trailer queen. It has been fitted with a 402 BB and painted a non original color. The look is a personal choice but if there is value in leaving it the way it is I'm ok with that. If I decide to make the switch where is the best place to source a good used box?
Welcome
my opinion, your truck do with it what makes you happy...SWB fleets bring more money and are it seems more desirable you may find one on the for sale side of the board from time to time depending on condition and price ....I sold a good solid LBF for 1k to finance a repop SWBF from ABS in Conneticut. drove up and picked it up they were good about taking the sides out of the boxes no dents or dings I purchased every thing minus the tailgate for about 1700. wheel tubs croos bars head board etc.... if I remeber right.... it was 2 years ago and its all sitting in my attic ,,,havent got that far yet my thought was finding one out this way that needs no repair...slim to none... west of Rockies shipping kills it ...repop scuff epoxy and paint straight bed sides ....I also am fortunate enough to have a stepside and love its looks too ....all what you like that’s what makes these trucks what they... are stepper today fleet if you want and depending on condition yours could fund some of the fleet if you go that way....Im sure there will be others to add thier 2 cents welcome again lots of good people and info here
PS pictures of your truck please......

Last edited by zicc1835; 04-02-2019 at 10:09 PM. Reason: more
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
mikl911

Thank you for replying! I am located in upstate New York, Rochester so finding anything usable around here is almost impossible. It's been a minute, 30 years, since i've owned an older truck. First one was a 69 Chevy fleetside long box, but i am now realizing just how popular they are right now. I got this 69 from a friend that I see now was a really good deal so that opens options. How difficult and/or expensive would it be to build one with new parts? I am a pretty competent welder, fabricator, wrencher not a pro but pretty good. I will post pics as soon as I can the truck is in storage about a two hours from me right now should have it by the end of April. Looking forward to more input.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
Lanman1972

I have restored 2 of these trucks in the last 5 years and I have purchased complete bed kits for both of them. 1 long bed and 1 short. I am very pleased with the repop beds and knowing they are rust free. All depends on your plans. You can get a complete short bed for around $2100 plus shipping. Used beds will always have more rust than you can see and usually dented and beat up. Spending time and money to repair used ones didn't work for me. Good Luck!
Old 04-03-2019, 08:21 PM   #5
zicc1835

X2 on the Lanman1972 post....... ill look for your pictures when you can.... I was in High School when these trucks were being produced had a 71 GMC my first Tow Truck in 77 wish i had it now and i can’t find the picturesor id post them... good luck let us know how we can help.......
Old 04-03-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
mikl911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanman1972 View Post
I have restored 2 of these trucks in the last 5 years and I have purchased complete bed kits for both of them. 1 long bed and 1 short. I am very pleased with the repop beds and knowing they are rust free. All depends on your plans. You can get a complete short bed for around $2100 plus shipping. Used beds will always have more rust than you can see and usually dented and beat up. Spending time and money to repair used ones didn't work for me. Good Luck!
Thank you that definitely helps me make my decision. Who do you recommend for the new stuff? LMC is the only site i'm familiar with.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:54 PM   #7
mikl911

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
X2 on the Lanman1972 post....... ill look for your pictures when you can.... I was in High School when these trucks were being produced had a 71 GMC my first Tow Truck in 77 wish i had it now and i can’t find the picturesor id post them... good luck let us know how we can help.......
I checked out your builds nice work! Thanks again for the input.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:00 PM   #8
flashed

Southern Kentucky Classics is one good source .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:02 AM   #9
Lanman1972

I used GMC Pauls for both of my builds. Freight charges will most likely determine where you buy.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #10
shoveldug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanman1972 View Post
I used GMC Pauls for both of my builds. Freight charges will most likely determine where you buy.
I bought my bedsides from GMC Paul’s also. They pull the parts and check them before shipment.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #11
zicc1835

here is the info on the vendor I bought all my SB fleet side parts from you can price it and if you have the means to pickup its 5.5 hours from you in Middlefield CT. I had a good expirence with them . When i was there they took bedsides out to make sure no damage etc. or you can see what the delivery will be much closer than the other places mentioned . i hear from time to time about bedsides showing up because the freight co.miss handle and then the seller wants no part of the claim and you have to fight with UPS FEdX or whoever over all of it....thats why I found somone within a reasonable distance cut the freight cost and damage exposure here is the website
http://autobodyspecialt.com/search.p...ection=content

also most of the distributors ,distribute Triplus reproduction parts and some drop ship so they are far removed from the shipping damage not for that reason, some just dont have in their inventory so be aware ask lots of questions
Old 04-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #12
mikl911

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
here is the info on the vendor I bought all my SB fleet side parts from you can price it and if you have the means to pickup its 5.5 hours from you in Middlefield CT. I had a good expirence with them . When i was there they took bedsides out to make sure no damage etc. or you can see what the delivery will be much closer than the other places mentioned . i hear from time to time about bedsides showing up because the freight co.miss handle and then the seller wants no part of the claim and you have to fight with UPS FEdX or whoever over all of it....thats why I found somone within a reasonable distance cut the freight cost and damage exposure here is the website
http://autobodyspecialt.com/search.p...ection=content

also most of the distributors ,distribute Triplus reproduction parts and some drop ship so they are far removed from the shipping damage not for that reason, some just dont have in their inventory so be aware ask lots of questions
Thank you. That's a good idea, I have a truck and trailer so picking stuff up would not be a problem. If I do decide to do the conversion I would prefer to get as much stuff from one vendor that can provide everything I need in. Nothing worse then having to wait 2 weeks for a bolt you didn't know you needed to finish a project.