The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thread sealant on oil pressure fitting?

Big block Chevy.........

Should the oil pressure fitting be installed with thread sealant? Word sealant must be used on NPT fittings. Can't tell for sure, but I don't think these are NPT. Thanks
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #2
72c20customcamper

Re: Thread sealant on oil pressure fitting?

Never used a sealant . But make sure you use copper tubing. Nothing worse than a plastic line failure spraying 180° oil on your jeans. Dont ask how I know this.....
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

The big fitting is tapered pipe, you can use a sealant if you want, but it is meant to seal on its own. The line uses a compression fitting. Do not use sealant on it.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #4
hjewell2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
The big fitting is tapered pipe, you can use a sealant if you want, but it is meant to seal on its own. The line uses a compression fitting. Do not use sealant on it.
What he said
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #5
Sheepdip

Sealants as they are called are 90% lubricant so as to not gall the threads. They (sealants) all have their little microscopic voodoo magic patented fillers to fill voids that you will normally only see under a microscope but the real seal is the stretching of the threads to the proper tightness.

The best method with a brass fitting is to always go just snug, this will work almost 100% of the time and then if it leaks just tighten till it stops.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:47 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Tapered is another term for NPT. They say use sealant on tapered, but I get your meaning, should seal. I don't believe it was sealed and there was no sign of a leak. But I think I'll hit it with high temp. sealant.

OT: I suppose temperature senders are tapered as well? I installed that one dry, though I read something about a grease that's conductive friendly.

Thanks for the good info.

https://www.industrialspec.com/about...tandards-intro
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 04-02-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
Roostre

I think every new temp sender I've ever seen had the sealer already applied. It's usually orange and looks like dried clay on the threads.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #8
Chris_oz

I dont use teflon type tape (plumbers tape) on electrical single pole senders as there is a chance of not getting an earth through the tape.

Loctie make a great teflon based goo that I have never had an issue with, it seals VERY VERY well, even when not super tight, has a very mild thread locking, but removes with hand tools. It is white but cleans up very easy and paint etc should not be affected.

Loctite 567 paste, a single tube should last the average car guy lifetime.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/sk/...ctite_567.html

I have been a plant mechanic (heavy desiel fitter) for over 30 years, rebuilt hundreds of engines, transmissions, final drive and alike, this product, is the go to for sealing up rebuilt components that you dont want a warranty claim on.
Chris_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:34 PM   #9
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_oz View Post
I dont use teflon type tape (plumbers tape) on electrical single pole senders as there is a chance of not getting an earth through the tape.

Loctie make a great teflon based goo that I have never had an issue with, it seals VERY VERY well, even when not super tight, has a very mild thread locking, but removes with hand tools. It is white but cleans up very easy and paint etc should not be affected.

Loctite 567 paste, a single tube should last the average car guy lifetime.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/sk/...ctite_567.html

I have been a plant mechanic (heavy desiel fitter) for over 30 years, rebuilt hundreds of engines, transmissions, final drive and alike, this product, is the go to for sealing up rebuilt components that you dont want a warranty claim on.
I'll second the Loctite Paste...it's a must have on stainless to stainless NPT applications.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:48 PM   #10
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

The thing about stainless on stainless is that threading the same alloy parts together will almost always cause galling and thread seizure- thus the need for lubrication. Not a problem with brass fittings, as they are pretty likely to be made of free-machining brass, which has lead in it to allow the chips to break off while machining.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Great info., thank you. I have a tube of Permatex high temp thread sealant, and used that on the sender and the block's oil pressure fitting. Using the same on the water pump and thermo. housing threads.