The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
raidmagic

Project daily driver

Well I didn't intend to start this yet, kinda wanted to wait for the heat of summer to leave but there was a fatal occurrence in the transmission when I took it to work on Friday and I'm not spending any money on this drivetrain.
I bought this truck in November of 2017 with the intention of making it a daily driver. My daughter is 15 and rather than buy her a cheapo commuter car I decided to buy me a cool truck. She will be getting my truck (2007 Sierra) when she starts driving. Made more sense to me and gave me a chance to get back in a mid 60's Chevy. I drove one for years when I was in construction and lack of common sense and life got in the way and I sold it years ago. Always wanted another so here it is.

It came with a 6 cylinder and 3 speed on the column. Someone somewhere put a cam in it, 4 barrel and split header. Sounds great but it won't get out of it's own way and gets 10 mpg. Not something I'm willing to live with so I started parts gathering.
In the 1st week of owning it I determined it needed a new tank. The stock one was seeping at the seam underneath it and really making the cab a bad place to be. So I ordered a new tank and put that in along with all new fuel line and took the carb apart and cleaned it all out. It was quite a mess in there, There was a lot of crap in the stock tank. I guess that explained all the extra fuel filters the guy had on there.

Once that was done I just drove it and enjoyed it for a few months. The more I drove it the more little things started popping up until I had a major electrical failure. Instead of patching it up I just ordered a new harness and rewired the whole truck. When I took it all apart I found a small rust spot so I patched that up while I was there.

Last edited by raidmagic; 07-17-2018 at 10:36 AM.
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
raidmagic

Re: Project daily driver

Now that was done I drove it more and enjoyed it while gathering parts. I already had an LS1 from a WS6 Trans Am and a 4 speed. I really prefer old school and didn't want all the wiring and computer stuff for this project so I bought an intake and timing controller. A buddy changed directions on his project so I scored all this suspension and brake parts for cheap so it will all get cleaned up and swapped on the truck for disc brakes. I called up Captain Fab and ordered his brackets for power steering and power brakes.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
raidmagic

I also restored the gauge cluster and covered the butchered radio hole with some real gauges so I could keep tabs on the engine. I also built a radio console and painted it to match. Gotta have my tunes.

Now it is time to take it all apart. I started small just unhooking everything then I decided I want to remove the front clip. That's all unbolted and just sitting there, I smashed my hand last night and can't use my left thumb. Ouch. So I guess I will be slow for the next week or so anywhere here is how it sits.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
raidmagic

Got the front clip off or at least all unbolted and ready to come off. Need some muscle to actually take it off. For some reason the PO decided to weld this inner fender at the top. After some grinder work I was able to get it loose. I'll have to repair it while it's off. Anyway, not much of an update but it's progress, trying to do a little everyday.

Got the clip off and out of the way.

Last edited by raidmagic; 07-23-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #5
raidmagic

So I got a few hours in after work tonight. I decided it was easier to do the front suspension on the driveway so I pushed it outside and removed the springs. I then put the ball joints back in so I could roll it. I love how low it sits but that's not going to stay that way. I have some spring options. In the middle is stock on the left and right are lowering options. I am also going to add 2" drop spindles.

Now that it's back on the lift out comes the engine to make way for the new one. Also need to remove the linkages and all that won't be used but I was tired and ready to stop for the day.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #6
CousinTone

Baby steps and one day it will start with quite a roar. Looking good, what’s next?
CousinTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:45 PM   #7
raidmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinTone View Post
Baby steps and one day it will start with quite a roar. Looking good, what’s next?
Get the crossmember out then pressure wash everything. Then I'll cut the crossmember for the motor mounts. Get that where I want and make a trans mount. After that I'll redo all the suspension and brakes.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
raidmagic

I haven't updated lately. I marked and cut the crossmember and mocked up the motor. It's going to work out perfect. I just need to get the front suspension redone and get the truck on it's wheels at ride height so I can get the driveline angles set.

And today I got an awesome hook up from a good friend of mine. He was cleaning out his back patio and gave me this tool box. There were even some tools left in it. SCORE!!

Old 08-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #9
jimmythompson1964

Free tool box is always a good score
jimmythompson1964 is offline   Reply With Quote