The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #76
KY_GMC

Re: Trusty Rusty - 72 GMC LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
We are starting a 67 GMC. I also bought an AAW kit. How did you like it? Beautiful work!
It was pretty good. Covered all of the upgrade options that you could have (single wire alternator, HEI ignition,...) and was well documented.

Get a roll of the wired tape (not electrical tape) and a good pair of strippers and crimpers for the connectors. I bought a set of the Kline Tools. Layout and install the wires first and make sure that you have everything installed before you wrap the wires in tape. you always find something that you miss and then have to unwrap the wires to add something. You'll also have a lot of connectors and left over wire for future options.

After I completed the install, I ohm'd out all the wires to make sure that everything was installed correctly. Then I started with one circuit at a time adding fuses and checking functions. The only thing that I burned up was the fuse link to the starter solenoid when I hooked up the battery wrong .

That's another thing you will need, new battery cables. For the positive, get the cable that enables you to add a direct battery feed wire for the alternator because the kit does not come with the battery power junction block.

I also recommend upgrading the headlights to relays and halogens. You can buy this kit fairly cheap (~`$20). I had to swap the wires in the connectors for the low beams since they were backwards. The lights were very dim until I did this.

Good luck!

Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592157
Engine Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592233
KY_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:32 PM   #77
Low Elco

I'll need it- I'm not an electrical guy at all. I usually make my own battery cables from 4-0 welding cable. Gonna be an interesting couple months. Thanks for the reply, beautiful truck!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #78
fried_daddy

Beautiful truck and great job on all of the prep, paint, and bodywork. This gives me the confidence to handle all of that in my garage for my 87 I'm working on. Sucks that the frame shops gave you the run around. But good that you were able to find a way around it by getting a whole new frame with extra parts to sell to recoup the costs!!
fried_daddy is offline   Reply With Quote