The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Papaloo

Stolen Bedside

Looking back over the past three years, my 1971 k10 has really been quite the trial. I purchased it with a rebuilt engine, that turned out to be repainted and it died 30miles later, on my way home from buying it. When I pulled the engine, I found the cab was mostly held together with pop rivets and bondo and while cleaning that bondo off, I had a wire get past my safety glasses and pierce my eye, you may remember the pictures of that. I purchased a 1972 C10 that I decided was too nice to scavenge parts for the k10, so I bought another k10 cab after my eye had healed a few months and I could work again. After loading the new cab, the seller asked me to help him move a few things and when I did, I blew out my back putting me out of commision for a few more months. After that healed, my grandfather told me that his dying wish was that I restore his beloved 1985 Harley Sportster. I spent the next 9 months working on that and had nearly finished when hurricane Irene came through. You may remember me posting about that:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=521410

After the flood, I had a couple of people that had begun to annoy me and my neighbor by bothering us to try and buy my trucks. Of course,they didn't realize that just because what the trucks were worth to me was more than what they were worth to them, they thought I was stupid or crazy.

Anyways, I finally overcame the sense of depression that I had been feeling whenever I thought about the trucks after the storm and started to work on them. I ordered all of the patch panels I needed from GMCPauls (Thank you! The shopping experience was easy, and the shipping was amazingly quick!). I then decided I would reassemble the bed that I had disassembled for paint/bodywork and ease of access to the frame. I attached the floor the frame, then the bed front, the left bedside, then... Wait, the right bedside was missing. I walked a half mile down the creek, digging through every pile of debris thinking it must have been washed away. After I got home, I realized I had taken a picture of the truck after the storm. I pulled it up. There were both bedsides carefully stacked next to the truck. Then I remembered that after the storm I had carefully stacked both bedsides on the frame rails, then stacked the front fenders and other miscellaneous body parts perpendicular to the bedsides so everything would be neat.

My wife thought that perhaps one of the scrappers that us and our neighbors have had to chase off multiple times after the storm may have taken it, but I realized that was unlikely. Scrappers are people of opportunity. They would have grabbed the easier to handle front fenders that were on top. They would not have dug down to the rust free 8ft bedside then carefully stacked things back up off the ground. Nope, it seems that my bedside was stolen by another 67-72 owner, probably one that lives near me and possibly even someone from this site. Someone who probably even morally justified their theft by reasoning that they were saving that nice bedside from someone who was just going to let it rust into nothingness. I hope that if that person does belong to this forum that they see and realize what a selfish dick they are. I hope they were attacked by an angry swarm of wasps. I know every other part of the truck has had numerous nests.
Papaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
msgross

Re: Stolen Bedside

that sucks...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
jocko

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits. -Cpl Klinger
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Sorry to hear that. Hope you figure it out and I hope your luck changes for the better. If I had one I would send it your way, I think you deserve a break.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
gearys 5600

That sucks !!! I hope you find out who stole it.
Posted via Mobile Device

1969 custom/10 swb--SOLD
1968 swb 50th anniv.--SOLD
1967 camaro ss/rs..LS-6-speed, 16-year long project
1956 chevy nomad
1955 chevy 210 2-dr sedan
1978 el-camino ss 1-owner
gearys 5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
LUCKTRUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits. -Cpl Klinger

awesome quote

LUCKTRUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Papaloo

I enjoyed that quote as well

Unfortunately, it's unlikely I will ever find who did it, unless they come forward and said they did. I'm not even sure how long ago it was taken because I had too many other things on my plate to worry about the truck and since they had piled the parts back up like they were, I didn't notice anything out of place. Most days my retired neighbor keeps a careful eye on my house, and he was surprised to hear something was missing, but he must not have happened to be home that day or it's likely he would've had the police there.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Tinkermc

someone once told my if it wer'nt for bad luck I would not have any luck at all, are we related?
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
YBNORML

People suck. I am constantly worried about jerks jumping my fence and helping themselves. I try to keep everything in me sheds but sometimes that just isn't possible. I do have a dog that helps with deterrance. But he isn't always outdoors, he's a pet not a guard dog.
Attached Images

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
Papaloo

Is that a rottweiler/lab mix? I think that's the friendliest looking rottweiler I've ever seen. Unfortunately, I don't have any storage sheds where I could put my parts Hopefully when my wife and I upgrade from a starter house to a family house, it'll have a garage workshop for me. I've about had enough with literally being a shade tree mechanic, working under the old mullbery tree and losing things in the grass.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
YBNORML

He's a purebred. Weighs in at about 130lbs. And he is super friendly, as long as I am the one who lets you in the yard if not he's not so friendly.
Posted via Mobile Device

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote