The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2006, 09:25 AM   #26
sleepyboy
'69 Step

Re: what grind's your gears?

I love them because I am all interstate miles and it dropped my rpms over 1,000 at 80 mph.
sleepyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:48 AM   #27
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

My son's truck had 3.08 gears and when we put the 700R4 tranny in it out hum at 1900 RPM at 75 MPH. That absolutely sounds great, YOU WOULD THINK. The truck had to work harder to go down our hilly roads (to make up for the lower RPMs) and the cruise controlled was constantly going into a "Shift Down" condition. This cost us gas m ileage. We put a set of 3.73 gears in and gained 2 MPG and got the response back in the truck. I imagine that a set of 3.42s would have been a better choice, but you get what you can. The truck by no means gets 20 MPG, but it does get 14 + MPG and runs great. The RPMs at 75 MPH are at 2500, we run shorter profile tires than most.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:53 PM   #28
racerman85

When I would be working on a project (woodcarving) and my woodshop teacher would sit in his office on his computer. Then, he would come up to me (he has NEVER done wood carving) after I have been working on carving a pretty detailed blue marlin and ask why I havent done any work in the past hour. Next, he tells me to move because "all I do is talk."

I hate it when he says "take your time and make it look right", but then when I make it look the way I think it should look and be careful I dont cut somewhere I dont want to, he tells me that I need to "work harder if I want to accomplish something in life".

My favorite "lecture" was on how it is "impossible" to build anything without plans that are written on paper. I find it amusing because all of our roll cages in our race cars never had plans on paper, my dad has built sprint car frames, front axles, fuel cell bumpers, and we know a guy that builds sprint car frames for a living and he's never drawn up dimensions in pencil.

Its been an uphill battle, and I can only draw one conclusion... He's a ford owner, lover, etc.
racerman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:53 PM   #29
ND_guy
Tool Addiction=Money Shortage

People who grind my gears are the critics who say I am ruining the VALUE of my pickup by not keeping it stock or "period correct". First off, I bought the k-20 without the 292. It had a torch and large hammer installed 305v8 so logically I upgraded to a 400v8. Second, If I am spending $1000 on paint it will be a color I want NOT baby blue. Third, if getting 35" tires to fit means a little fender trimming and a 4" lift I will do it. Heck I've got 4.56 gears and lockers might as well use them. Fourth, I am not going to fix the dash and mount a stereo under the dash because my PO already butchered it and I want some tunes.
Lastly, the VALUE of my truck ISN'T about how much I could get for it at the auction. It is about how much I enjoy working on it with friends and family and how I love every minute driving it.
ND_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 05:44 PM   #30
pimperout

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton72 View Post
What bugs me the most is when everyone I know bugs me about the truck. They will say that i'll never get back together or i should have just bought a car for a dd. I just tell them to wait and see and proove them wrong.
exactly got the exact same problem
pimperout is offline   Reply With Quote