The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2020, 02:11 AM   #1
tino0217

Rag joint replacement bent steering column now

I replaced my rag joint on my 71 C10 but being a newbie I bent the steering shaft trying to muscling it it off instead of taking my time and doing it it right. It was a bear for doing something I've never done before. Now I'm getting squeaking when I turn and my hor goes off when I turn right. Do I try to straighten it out or just replace? If I can do either that's what I'll do because promised the little woman if I can do it myself I would.
tino0217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Rag joint replacement bent steering column now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tino0217 View Post
I replaced my rag joint on my 71 C10 but being a newbie I bent the steering shaft trying to muscling it it off instead of taking my time and doing it it right. It was a bear for doing something I've never done before. Now I'm getting squeaking when I turn and my hor goes off when I turn right. Do I try to straighten it out or just replace? If I can do either that's what I'll do because promised the little woman if I can do it myself I would.

Yeah, you need to drop the steering box down to replace the joint. I guess you don't have anything to lose if you try straightening it. Can you see where it is bent?

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:37 PM   #3
randy500
Account Suspended

Hard to believe you bent it, take the shaft out and roll it to see where its bent. I could probably put it in my press, PM me if you want, im in Tacoma.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

Been there and done this.
All you probably did was blow apart an already worn out column bearing, and it's probably jammed up and will eventually come apart and make the steering will feel loose.
Best to take a look at the schematic of the steering column, and order the bad parts and replace them. Be a good time to replace the turn signal switch and hazard button, since they are usually petrified and ready to fail if they haven't already.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote