The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2020, 10:28 PM   #376
roll_the_dice

Re: 1965 LWB Stepside Build

OK, so I made a deal tonight to buy a new truck. It is getting delivered in a few weeks. A matching numbers 64 GMC 1 ton Dually. It runs, needs a new master cylinder...no idea what I am going to do with it. Probably put a flatbed on it eventually. Not going to touch it (much) until I finish my current truck. I will start a new build thread when I get it and start on it. Here is a teaser picture...
Attached Images

roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:22 AM   #377
J Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
OK, so I made a deal tonight to buy a new truck. It is getting delivered in a few weeks. A matching numbers 64 GMC 1 ton Dually. It runs, needs a new master cylinder...no idea what I am going to do with it. Probably put a flatbed on it eventually. Not going to touch it (much) until I finish my current truck. I will start a new build thread when I get it and start on it. Here is a teaser picture...
That looks like a good time!
Posted via Mobile Device
J Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:51 PM   #378
straight6chevyguy

Keep up the great work it's looking good!
And the dually looks like the beginning of another great project!
2002 Chevy s10 4.3L auto 4x4
1971 mercury monterey wagon 400 auto
To many projects!
straight6chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:54 PM   #379
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy View Post
Keep up the great work it's looking good!
And the dually looks like the beginning of another great project!
Thanks! I think the dually will be fun, but I won't start anything on it until I finish my current one.

Going to bleed my brakes tomorrow morning. I went around and made sure all the bleed valves would open yesterday. Got the 2 for the rear drums cracked...the fronts would not budge and one broke. I tried PB Blaster, heat, etc etc and multiple times...I tried everything. Then I went out and spent $22 per wheel for new brake calipers! So today I swapped out my front calipers and put in new pads at the same time. Was worth the $ not to fight with the bleed screws any longer. Probably should have swapped out rotors also, but I will down the road.

Once the brakes and clutch are bled, I am going to start buttoning up the front end and getting things back together! Shouldn't be long before I am driving it.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #380
Johns 66

Quote:
I have seen this truck somewhere......hmmmmm
2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #381
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
I have seen this truck somewhere......hmmmmm
Thanks for taking a look at it for me John! Glad you were close enough to do that! Sorry the 59 didn't work out for you.

Got my brakes bled this morning! WOOHOO I need to get the clutch bled and get the exhaust on...1 thing down...not as many to go!
Old 07-13-2020, 06:11 PM   #382
roll_the_dice

BIG DAY today! I got the clutch bled and hooked up the battery and installed the Steering Wheel...and backed it out of the driveway and pulled back in! First time it has moved under its own power since June 2017! I have a small leak on the hydraulic clutch line I need to get straightened out, then I will start putting the front end back on it...then take it to the exhaust shop to get new exhaust put on...so close to being able to take it for a cruise...a few more weeks!
Old 07-13-2020, 10:39 PM   #383
cwcarpenter98

Gotta love when it moves again after not moving for awhile! You could probably get the front end back together in about 1 and a half full days of work. That's basically what I did on my truck a couple weeks ago

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:00 PM   #384
J Williams

[QUOTE=roll_the_dice;8774013]BIG DAY today!

That’s awesome man! So jealous! Haha way ahead of me! Let’s see some pics of that thing!
Posted via Mobile Device
J Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:33 PM   #385
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Gotta love when it moves again after not moving for awhile! You could probably get the front end back together in about 1 and a half full days of work. That's basically what I did on my truck a couple weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Williams View Post
Quote:
BIG DAY today!
That’s awesome man! So jealous! Haha way ahead of me! Let’s see some pics of that thing!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks guys....it was a huge day. I am stoked! I have a video of it moving, but I will get a better one soon...I ran it for 30 seconds...no radiator was hooked up so I didn't want to go crazy with it! I literally backed it into my cul-de-sac and drove it back in...Main thing I was checking were the brakes and the clutch.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:24 PM   #386
roll_the_dice

Just ordered my seat belts from Seatbeltplanet.com Thanks Christian for the correct items to order and the discount code...from last year. It still works! Some pricing went up, but not a lot...

Bleed Brakes
Bleed Clutch
Order Seat belts
Install front end
Install wood in bed
Drive & Enjoy

marking more and more off the list!
Old 07-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #387
cwcarpenter98

That's funny that the code still worked I hope the belts serve you as well as they have served me. I feel much more comfortable driving around with the shoulder belt than I did with just lap belts. I'm sure my passengers feel the same way with my driving

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 07-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #388
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
That's funny that the code still worked ...
I know...saved me about $20. I think all 3 belts were $266 delivered...including all new hardware and I did what you did and upgraded the buttons to the GM logo...the look was worth it to me. I went with charcoal gray belts to go with my black seats and silver interior. Should look good, but as long as they secure me in the vehicle...it's worth it!
Old 07-14-2020, 03:19 PM   #389
cwcarpenter98

They do lock fairly quickly compared to modern cars, so whenever my friends ride with me, I always have to tell them that the belt has to be pulled out a little slower than what they are used to. It doesn't really bother me though, so I have no complaints with them

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 07-14-2020, 07:27 PM   #390
roll_the_dice

OMG...I have never done anything with drum brakes before. So today I tackled replacing the parking brake cable for the passenger side. It frustrated me for longer than I care to admit. I got the drum off easily, which surprised me. Then I was "hoping" I could just get the cable out and replace...but I couldn't figure out how to do that...so I had to disassemble the shoes to get to the cable. Then it took me forever to finagle everything back together correctly. So happy I got it back together without throwing any tools!
Old 07-19-2020, 08:14 PM   #391
roll_the_dice

Trying to finish the A/C install...got the heater hoses installed. I also put the drier on the condenser. I was about to drill the radiator support when I realize I don't have a 1 1/4" hole saw...thought I did! Will pick one up and finish up. Going to install the inner fender gaskets also, so I can get those installed...then go from there.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:06 AM   #392
roll_the_dice

Just found out the seat belt GM logo buckle is backordered until the end of August. So I called and changed the order to the starburst logo. A little disappointed, but can't wait that long since my truck will be finished before then.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:13 PM   #393
roll_the_dice

So before I put on my inner fenders and radiator support I thought I would clean up some of the engine bay wiring. Much easier to get to now with no fenders on than later. Here is a before and after picture...still need to connect the green temp gauge wire and the alternator wire, but much better!

Attached Images

Old 07-22-2020, 02:43 PM   #394
roll_the_dice

Quick question...figured someone could answer here instead of creating a new thread on the main board. Never had a 1 wire alternator before.but I have a 1 wire alternator now and the AAW wiring harness. I am "assuming" the 1 wire from the alternator goes to the battery post on the starter or directly to the positive terminal on the battery?
Old 07-23-2020, 06:19 PM   #395
roll_the_dice

I got a text today from my buddy John who milled my bed wood for me. Here are a few pictures of them in process. The wood is walnut. I am just going to use marine grade sealant. I am also going to fill any knot holes or imperfections with black two part resin...I should have it first week of August.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #396
cwcarpenter98

Dadgum, that wood looks nice!

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 07-23-2020, 10:25 PM   #397
72cs20

Quote:
Quick question...figured someone could answer here instead of creating a new thread on the main board. Never had a 1 wire alternator before.but I have a 1 wire alternator now and the AAW wiring harness. I am "assuming" the 1 wire from the alternator goes to the battery post on the starter or directly to the positive terminal on the battery?
My instructions say to the battery post on the starter.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:29 PM   #398
roll_the_dice

After much research, the alternator can be connected to the starter or battery...I am choosing to connect to the battery. I think it will be a cleaner install in terms of wires.

In between raindrops today, I got one of the bed cross sills sand blasted and primed. Waiting on some black paint to arrive. Will get the others blasted and painted this week. Not a fan of outdoor blasting in the heat and sand blowback. I also couldn't resist installing the air cleaner since I received the new stud kit. I thought about painting the top green, but decided to keep it powder coated black.

Waiting on my "new" v8 radiator bracket to arrive. I will need to sand blast it and powder coat satin black, but that shouldn't take long.

I also "think" I am going to try and take off the horrible DIY spray on bedliner the PO put on. I have already taken it off the inside of the tailgate. I used paint stripper and it did a good job and keeps the theme of the truck going..."not a show truck".

Will try to get a better picture of the air cleaner tomorrow...looks like the colors don't match, but they are spot on.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #399
Johns 66

Quote:
So before I put on my inner fenders and radiator support I thought I would clean up some of the engine bay wiring. Much easier to get to now with no fenders on than later. Here is a before and after picture...still need to connect the green temp gauge wire and the alternator wire, but much better!

Quote:
I got a text today from my buddy John who milled my bed wood for me. Here are a few pictures of them in process. The wood is walnut.
Looking real good Andy. Once you get the wood finished I think its gonna look killer in your truck. Left some of the character on the top side of the wood which will go nicely with your truck....Im hoping GMC Pauls dimensions are correct....lol....If not we will just have to make some more...lol
2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #400
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
Looking real good Andy. Once you get the wood finished I think its gonna look killer in your truck. Left some of the character on the top side of the wood which will go nicely with your truck....Im hoping GMC Pauls dimensions are correct....lol....If not we will just have to make some more...lol
Thanks again John! Yes, I was thinking the same thing about the dimensions from GMC Pauls! HAHA