The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #26
Tazfink

Re: Br3w City's Project omgwtfbbq

Subscribed!! Hopefully this will give me some inspiration to get working on mine!!!!

"Patina is earned, not made." - Old Hot Rodder.

Cylinder Index
The Cylinder Index (or C.I.) is a measurement device in which the total number of internal combustion engine cylinders (working or non-working) owned by an individual (single-cylinder chainsaws, lawnmowers, 2-cycle, 4-cycle, multi-clinder diesels, trucks and farm tractors) are tallied. The Garage Logician who attains a C.I. in excess of his age is revered. - Joe Soucheray, Mayor of Garage Logic.
Tazfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #27
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Small update:
Some swiss cheese from the lower door

Just fitting up the patch

Filler work done on the fender

I also finished the filler over the lower door patch, and the other side has been completed (i have almost symetrical rust on this thing). All thats left now is to finish stripping the nose, and some minor touchoups on the roof and around the windows.

I've also been super busy doing some other projects, including my rem870, and my buddy's super clean '63 Impala 2door. We are doing a period-parts-only aircraft hydraulic setup on it, and I've been doing alot of fab on his battery racks, pump mounts etc. I will include some pictures of that too hopefully this weekend

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #28
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

SMALL UPDATE

She is completely stripped and the final filler is at about 90% complete.
The fun part PICKED UP MY 6.0 YESTERDAY!! PICS TO COME

Old 09-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #29
Tazfink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
SMALL UPDATE

She is completely stripped and the final filler is at about 90% complete.
The fun part PICKED UP MY 6.0 YESTERDAY!! PICS TO COME
What is the 6.0 coming out of?? Late model truck or... dare I say... a wrecked GTO with the matching 6-speed???

Looks good! Keep up the good work.

Cylinder Index
The Cylinder Index (or C.I.) is a measurement device in which the total number of internal combustion engine cylinders (working or non-working) owned by an individual (single-cylinder chainsaws, lawnmowers, 2-cycle, 4-cycle, multi-clinder diesels, trucks and farm tractors) are tallied. The Garage Logician who attains a C.I. in excess of his age is revered. - Joe Soucheray, Mayor of Garage Logic.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #30
Tazfink

Just out of curiosity... What are you running for a welder?

Cylinder Index
Old 09-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #31
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Its an LQ4 from a 2003 Silverado, it will be cammed and possibly get new heads (unsure of budget right now) before going in.

As for a welder, I run a couple depending on which project. Most of the bodywork and stuff done here at my house is on a Lincoln wirefeed Mig. Its a convertible 110/220 unit, and I'm running it on 110 (I rent, can't pull a new leg in the garage), with 75/25 Argon in my tank. At our fab shop at work I'll use the giant old behemoth of a welder. I have NO idea what it is, but its the size of a washing machine and painted bright yellow. It works like a freaking charm on the bigger stuff like mounts and stuff.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #32
narx66gmc

sweet motor swap! the truck is looking really good and coming along well, keep up the good work.
narx66gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #33
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Small update (no pics yet)
My drive by wire stuff showed up, and I have a complete custom harness coming from fuelinjectionconnection.
The block, timing cover and accessories have all been cleaned and painted, and I have a bigass cam coming this week. Running a TSP Tsunami, with PRC dual springs and TSP rods. My swap mounts have also arrived. This weekend I plan to take the truck out in its half-stripped form, have a little fun with the old smallblock and then start the transplant process. Pics will follow!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #34
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Well, after the above ^^ "having fun" I did manage to almost get myself in a bit of trouble.
I was stretching the legs on her down an empty biz park street, and the local pd wasn't thrilled about it. I got pulled over with NO fenders, hood, paint, speedometer, tail lights...only thing I had was my plate taped to the back window; somehow after the cop listed about 10 different things including "Undue and Unnecessary Speed", I was let off with a WARNING. wow.

Couple pics of the block painted and heads partially cleaned up. As well as the newly installed PRC springs and TSP rods.

And my motor mounts showed up as well

Old 11-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #35
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

the truck is now at my pop's place for the motor swap. Old engine has been disconnected and just sits dry in the bay until everything else is ready to go.

In the meantime I've done a bunch of work on the fuel system;

255lph pump, -8 AN Russel fuel filter, to 3/8 to the front.

Ford Cobra 42lb injectors compared to the stockers (24lbs)

And in the rail

Had to get some EV6 wiring adapters; the truck motors used a short Delphi MultecII injector which is VERY hard to find a good replacement for since your options are limited to the Marine 8.1's or a custom set. If you convert to EV6 and space the rail you get more injector options

Last edited by BR3W CITY; 11-19-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #36
jimmydean

Damn, I wish any one of my projects started that clean. Nice work, it will be awesome when finished.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #37
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Happy! Had my 4l80e built up by a local shop, along with my new converter (spec'd for future nitrous use).

Damn this stuff gets expensive for a 24 year old.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:45 PM   #38
tiggamonsta

It gets expensive no matter how old you are. Especially once you have a house, wife, kids, pets, etc.
tiggamonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:02 AM   #39
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice project! What color do you plan on painting it when done?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #40
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

haha at this point, I don't even care about paint. I just wanna get this thing back on the street! I have some paint at home, and right now it will probably be standard GM black, with an Ice Blue Pearl roof.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #41
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I been out of the garage for a while now with the bullsh!t we call weather in WI. I have managed a few small things to keep moving forward with spring in sight. I disconnected everything from the old driveline, so the old engine is just sitting there loose waiting for a nice weekend to come out and get this lq4 in its place. Did the dif fluid and cleaned the frame up a bit while i was in there with the bed floor out.
Then Mr Postman came with some more goodies; some fittings and taylor wires for the swap, and these big mothers;

They are waiting until the engine is in, but should make a huge difference on my car (manual brakes right now as well).

Old 03-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #42
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Got my 4l80e painted up, and the lq4 cleaned up and waiting to go in.

Posted via Mobile Device

Old 03-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #43
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Ready to come out, and the process.

On the pallet post removal.

Posted via Mobile Device

Old 03-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #44
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

A little help cleaning up from a friend.

Nice

Posted via Mobile Device

Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #45
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

A very long weekend getting this done, but she is on the way. Heres the engine and trans ready to go

I don't have any pics of the beginning of the fitment, but it was a very slow process getting that engine and big ol 4l80e in there without taking the front clip off. Its very doable, you just need a friend and some patience to guide it in. You MUST have a load leveler to get the right angle to get it in there. The angle of the trans coming in was pretty steep.

Originally my engine sat on regular sbc mounts on the engine pedestals in the rear-most set of holes. This proved very difficult to reach the distro and rear plugs, so my motive with the lq4 was to move it forward some. Although you can move the mounts to the forward set of holes, the crossmember doesn't have a lower hole that matches up. I positioned the mounts where I liked them and drilled new lower holes. These are bigger than stock using grade 8 1/2" hardware (just to be safe). The upper point is being bolted into place, and then we are welding around the tab as well.

Here is how the trans hange below the frame.

And from the diff

And shes in

Last edited by BR3W CITY; 03-21-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #46
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

UPDATE
Made a ton of progress and have a lot more pics to follow, right now I only have a few from my phone.
Upper perches have been welded and smoothed. All of the front accessories are bolted back into place. I had to put a mall tweak into the frame (much line the "bump" on the passenger side) to clear the power steering hose.

I also found out that the ps pump I got was originally set up for a hydroboost truck, so I may put that into my plan in the future. My cam will be too much for vacuum brakes I imagine.

Balancer is back on as well, along with the radiator and fan.
HOW TO INSTALL THE BALANCER ON THE LSX MOTORS;
If you don't have the service manual, or DO have it but got scared off when it started mentioning special tools...this may help.
Its only a few steps, they aren't that hard, and you get a reusable tool out of the deal for less than $10.

1. Track down some threaded rod. You need about 10" of M16 x 2.0 threaded rod. Most home depot and Lowe's don't seem to carry metric threaded rod, as it's less common in home repair. I recommend Fastenal if you have on in your area.

2. Get a nut and spacer/stack on washers about 2-3" thick. I had the balancer with me and found washers that fit the center groove perfectly.
Total Cost; $10.42, and thats ONLY because I bought a full 3ft of rod.

This is the rod I cut down, compared to the stock balancer bolt.

3. If you have some rust on the snout or inside of the balancer, use a little scotchbrite pad to clean it off. You can then use either anti seize or a little wd40 and put the balancer up onto the crank snout as centered as you can.

4. Insert the rod and begin to tighten the nut. this will pull the balancer inward and begin to tighten into place. Keep tightening until the balancer is seated flush into the seal. You can use the scrub marks on the balancer to see about how far in it needs to be tightened. I used an old belt and a straight edge to check that the balancer and accessories were properly in line. DON'T just use a straightedge against the face of the pulleys; the power steering pully has a wider lip and will set the balancer off center.

5. With the balancer fully seated, use the OLD bolt and tighten it to about 40lb/ft (37 to be exact, according to the manual). These bolts stretch and can't be re used for the FINAL installation.

6. Take the NEW balancer bolt and thread it into place. The final tightening should be down to 240lb/ft, but since many people wrenches don't go THAT far, just torque the sh!t out of it.
Thats really all you need to do, just make sure to use a new bolt for the final installation and you're good to go.

Last edited by BR3W CITY; 04-17-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #47
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I replaced my rubber hose for the fuel line with some stainless braided -6 and some nice aluminum fittings. I still need to hookup the last part of the return in the rear.

The wiring harness has been laid out and 95% of the connections have been made. I am getting some trailbalzer SS manifolds this weekend and then I can hookup the 02 sensors when they are in.

While doing the harness, I found out I have the wrong alternator plug.
Mine;

Whats on my harness

I made a quick email to FIC and Robert got a new pigtail in the mail for me.
I also rubber mounted the pcm, mounted the fuse box and made a waterproof cover for it, and mounted the tac module.

I've made all the harness connections on those, along with mounting my OBD II port and hooking up my ScangaugeII.
This weekend I should be getting my manifolds, and taking care of the radiator hoses and drive belt. After that its down to some final connections of the gas pedal, throw in a new driveshaft, and get ready for it to come to life.

Last edited by BR3W CITY; 04-17-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #48
kvn1011
Kvn1011

looking good!!
it will be more pleasant to have warmer spring like temps!!
we got a bit of a tease here last weekend with 80's this week hasnt been so bad i finally got my old 350 out, still more cleaning and some frame painting to do!!
kvn1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #49
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Really nice progress and truck!!
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #50
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I fitted up a lower radiator hose from a section of a different hose from the Napa shelf.

And I started to fit an upper hos, made from 2 sections of another hose. They will be joined with a section of stainless tube.