The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #26
nomrlz

Re: My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project!

depending on how much portwork. it sounds like a legit 375rwhp
99 Hayabusa 8.72 @ 162
00 Hayabusa 9.33 @ 153
nomrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #27
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.

I appreciate the offer! I know very little about spraying it ...need lots of advise.
A buddy of mine is really into Mega-Squirt engine management ( He is a Mich-Tech computer-nerd grad who has gearhead tendencies) and he tells me that I can run two separate programs with the flick of a switch. Change the ignition advance, timing curves, & fuel settings, and introduce nitrous all at the same time.
He has some expertice on this system, as I have heli-arc welded injector bungs on intake manifold for his '69 Super-Bee, along with his buddies '70 426 Charger R/T. Both which seem to run flawlessly, & he is also working currently on adding FI to an older Honda CB-600...He has a vast CNC background, so he machines a crankwheel & runs a crank-sensor. lets the computer control everything...They even make a plug-n-play harness to replace your ECM, as the key developers of this set-up are huge into Corvettes...Maybe I should try to introduce Bryan to my buddy Frank!...Don't get me wrong, I just don't know what to do at this point!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #28
Modges'66

The items that I have been posting have not been as current as I would like for them to be. Seems like I am always trying to get caught-up on something other than my project truck. It seems like my job & other responsibilities keep cutting into my fun-time, and I may need to give them up!
With that being said, This is how I spent my Christmas day. Our family celebrated x-mas on Christmas-eve, because of everyones busy schedule, therefore I had it open for ME-time!

Christmas present to self: shaving exterior door handles!!!!

I started by taking a section from an existing door, so that it would have the correct contour and plasma-cut a a filler piece using a paper template that I had traced from my door. Then I proceeded to tack-weld it in while alternating locations & letting them cool to avoid warping...tack, wait, tack, wait.
When it was finally welded around the periphery, the welds were ground down, and a thin coat of filler was applied & block-sanded.
I also took this opportunity to fill my mirror holes in the driver's door by screwing-in some threaded rod & welding it in.
The results were incredible!
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #29
Modges'66

More Pics!
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #30
Modges'66

Block sand, prime, block sand, prime. The flatter it gets, the more imperfections I find.
I just guide coated & blocked it out for a second time & I'm convinced that the cab & doors are 10 times as straight as when new. I'm about to graduate from cab & door detail & move-on to other body panels.
I still have no idea on a color choice yet.
2 colors in mind, pearl orange/pearl white 2 tone, or simply pearl white.

I spent some time over the weekend retrofitting the door latches with solenoids, since I have now received the shaved door-opener kit that I ordered.
I totally forgot to take any photos, but many soon to come!
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #31
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Nice score on the truck, and very nice body work

You've obviously done body work a time or two.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #32
Modges'66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Nice score on the truck, and very nice body work

You've obviously done body work a time or two.
Thanks!
Yeah, unfortunately I worked in a bodyshop for a few years after high-school, and I have had a fair share of project cars. Haven't done any body work in over 10 years...But you never seem to forget how to do it (bummer).
Old 03-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #33
C@rnut001

Great looking truck to build and it looks like you are doing a killer job on all of the body work for it. Keep the updates and pictures coming, we love to see progress being made on a truck build! It is always nice to know how to do your own work on these old trucks (or cars) as it saves a ton of money.
C@rnut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #34
McMurphy

Looks like your door handle shaves came out very smooth!
Looking good from here

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #35
Modges'66

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Looks like your door handle shaves came out very smooth!
Looking good from here
Yup, smooth like a babies behind!
I cheat a little by keeping a spray bottle filled with wax & grease remover nearby.
After I think the panel is flat from blocking it out, I wipe it down, then fog it with the solvent to look down the reflection that it produces...as if it were painted.
It allows you to see almost all imperfections! then simply wipe it off, and prime & block again if necessary.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #36
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modges'66 View Post
Yup, smooth like a babies behind!
I cheat a little by keeping a spray bottle filled with wax & grease remover nearby.
After I think the panel is flat from blocking it out, I wipe it down, then fog it with the solvent to look down the reflection that it produces...as if it were painted.
It allows you to see almost all imperfections! then simply wipe it off, and prime & block again if necessary.
So just that I am sure I am keeping up with you...
You grind down your welds, probably some sanding, then fill with either bondo or self leveling primer (like slicksand?) and then you do your blocking.... then the steps you just listed?

Thanks .... sometimes I feel like the kindergarten kid in a college physics class.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 03-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #37
Modges'66

Yes, grind down the welds to make sure that they are not high, sand for good adhesion of your filler, spread a coat of filler, knock down the high areas with power tools, then I block the filler by hand to the assumed finish level to assure flatness, then prime with a high-build primer, then block by hand to maintain flatness. A D-A sander can make it seem flat but still have slight waves, but a block is the only way to assure flatness.
Most areas on my cab & doors have been blocked (in primer) 3-4 times, then guide-coated & blocked.
In my opinion, 90% of the paint job is preparation. if the prep is good, you can just about color-sand & rub anything to make it look spectacular!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #38
Modges'66

I retrofitted my door latches with solenoids to accommodate for my shaved door handles. They turned out great! They may look a bit weird, but remember that the opener solenoid has to be positioned not to interfere with the path of the window glass.
I started by making a profile template of the door latch surface from cardboard that included the latch, & window track mounting holes, I mapped out where the widow traveled, and worked around the space that was available in the door to situate the solenoid & required linkage.
I did the fab work a buddies shop, then went & installed them into the doors for tryout, and everything works perfectly (for once).
At first I had the linkages adjusted with zero-lash, & the solenoids didn't always want to un-latch the door. It seems that at the FULLY extended position, the solenoids only produce a fraction of their maximum pulling-force, but if they are slightly retracted in their travel, they have a considerable greater pulling potential. So by adjusting a little slack into the linkage they worked flawlessly, every-time!
This made my day!
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #39
Modges'66

A few more pics!
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2012, 02:57 AM   #40
XtechX

I was just reading through your thread and noticed you're a fellow Michigander! You don't see too many of us on here for some reason...probably because all of the trucks we usually see are rotted beyond repair....lol. Nice work so far, and what a great find on your truck!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #41
Modges'66

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtechX View Post
I was just reading through your thread and noticed you're a fellow Michigander! You don't see too many of us on here for some reason...probably because all of the trucks we usually see are rotted beyond repair....lol. Nice work so far, and what a great find on your truck!
Hey! Thanks!
Yeah, I'm real excited, if you can't tell. I can't seem to work on it enough, and with the unusually nice weather we have had lately, it makes me anxious!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #42
awbrown

So where are you working on this beast ?? I have a few 63 projects in the works so it is great to see another michigander on the board.........
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #43
Modges'66

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbrown View Post
So where are you working on this beast ?? I have a few 63 projects in the works so it is great to see another michigander on the board.........
I live south of Grand Rapids near the airport, but working on the truck at my parent's home, north of G.R. near Cedar Springs, and I work on the lakeshore in Grand haven....Spending more money on gas than the project!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #44
Modges'66

I did some interior cleaning this weekend, I sanded everything inside the cab.
While sanding the dash I noticed that quality control must not have been at its optimum levels at the time of original build. It seems that the dash was never secured to the cab on the right-hand side! The holes were so far off that you couldn't see them. I wedged the porta-power between the dash & floor & got them to line up, but busted spot-welds on the dash along the windshield frame in the process. All is golden now! I sanded every inch of interior, but only primed the dash with the epoxy. I'm gonna get some lighter weight primer for the headliner & rear of the cab.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #45
Modges'66

the exterior is looking pretty pristine, i can't wait to move-on to other panels.
Next step is to block the exterior of the cab & doors with #320 grit, then it WILL be ready. I should only be about 5-6 hours away(labor time) from having the cab & doors totally prepped for paint!
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #46
Modges'66

A few more pics!
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #47
McMurphy

Looking real good !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 03-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #48
allaboutchevelles

Very nice job. Its funny because I just did the same thing on saturday myself. sanded my complete dash to bare metal. I still have to prime mine but I did the headliner and around the back glass a couple weeks ago and primed that. Nice job your doing!!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #49
Modges'66

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
Very nice job. Its funny because I just did the same thing on saturday myself. sanded my complete dash to bare metal. I still have to prime mine but I did the headliner and around the back glass a couple weeks ago and primed that. Nice job your doing!!
Ha-Ha! Thanks!
My posts are actually a couple of weeks behind.
I finish-sanded the exterior this past weekend, but slightly off on my estimate for completing paint prep.
Once that the exterior was blocked with 320, I washed it down with wax & grease remover & noticed a good sized wave in the roof that would not pass inspection for me. All on the roof is fixed & re-primed, but another round of block-sanding for this area is in order. Still gotta sand the dash & firewall, but this portion of the truck is sooooo close to paint!
The next step is to start working some of the smaller pieces, so that I can bring them home to finish them as I have an hour or two, as I am doing the build at my parents house (35 minutes away).
Old 03-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #50
McMurphy

Looks like your parents have a real nice place!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest