The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
1956cameo

? For the 55-9 Factory original guru's

I bought my 56 1/2 ton truck a couple of years ago. It is a factory v8 truck but by the time I got it someone yanked the original engine. They replaced it by hacking in a 67 caddillac 429 into it. When they did that they cut out the original transmission crossmember. I am trying to restore this truck back to as factory original as I can. Heres the question. My two parts trucks were originally 6 cyl 3speed trucks. I was going to take the trans cross member off of one of those trucks to replace the cut out one on my 56. The thing is the cross members on those trucks are about (roughly) 4.5 inches wide at the bottom next to the frame rails and 3.5 inches at the top. What is left of my 56's original trans cross member is 7-7.5 inches at the bottom next to the framerails and about 5.5-6 inches at the top. Why is the cross member so much wider on my 56? Is it because its a v8, was it a 4 speed truck, or a hydramatic? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: ? For the 55-9 Factory original guru's

Can you post a picture? Standard Transmissions would have used the same member. I'm not sure about an Auto trans member. How does the clutch pedal frame boss look? If its there. I do know that there are minor differences in the frame mounts and bracketry between years 55-57.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
1956cameo

Re: ? For the 55-9 Factory original guru's

I will try to post pictures whenever I get a chance. My truck is a 56, and the two parts trucks are 56 and 57. All half tons. It has the part of the clutch housing that rivets to the frame rail but no parts were in it that would have hooked up to the clutch. It is hollow where the bolt would go that attatches to the arm for the clutch (not sure if that makes sense, will try to get pics of everything).

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote