The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
1967wannabe

sheetmetal help/advice

Hey guys,

Just getting started with my build, the first thing I'm gonna do is order up a new 67 front clip: hood, fenders, grille and radiator support. I want to mock up the front end and then get one of our body men to get it all fitting right before I blow the truck apart.

All the sheet metal will be painted, cut & buffed before reassembly so I need to make sure all the panels are pre-fitted and right before tear-down.

Anyway, I've looked at LMC, Goodmark, ECE and others. I don't want to pay any more than I should but I don't want any junk either, any advice on who I should go with?

Also, Goodmark lists two 67 grilles, one with grille fillers and one without. Nobody else (that I saw) listed two. What's the difference?

Thanks!
1967wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Re: sheetmetal help/advice

You live in Texas...go find stock OEM sheet metal lol Hell of a lot cheaper and will fit better. You live in a dry climate with limited rust so I'd look around craigslist in your neighbourhood before forking out cash for something that's probably in your backyard

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
1967wannabe

Houston isn't Albuquerque, most vintage iron around here is rotted pretty bad.
I mean not like the cancer you see in Pittsburgh or Buffalo but not anything as clean as they've got West of Amarillo.
1967wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Rochlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
You live in Texas...go find stock OEM sheet metal lol Hell of a lot cheaper and will fit better. You live in a dry climate with limited rust so I'd look around craigslist in your neighbourhood before forking out cash for something that's probably in your backyard
Spend the time and money on OEM sheetmetal. I used aftermarket stuff on my blazer I have more time reaming holes and shimming panels to get it to fit. I've scratched the hell out of my paint trying to get it to fit.

Honestly, I have about 40-50 hours in fitting the aftermarket sheet metal and I'm still not happy with it. If you have any questions I'll send you a picture of how ill fitting the doors and fenders are.

Speaking from experience I wish I would have spent the extra on the OEM stuff..

Last edited by Rochlow; 08-24-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
JORGIE95961

OEM ALL THE WAY.of course i am in Californias north valley.... Ive ordered some patch panels that have been a pain in the butt, but have cut out as much as i could from donors
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Eddie H.

After my last battle trying to make aftermarket Chinese fenders fit, I will never go that route again. I'll find OEM parts somewhere.