The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2014, 12:38 PM   #26
AirSpeed

Re: Fuel pump, vapor lock? My truck died on the hi-way.

Just picked up my fuel pump from NAPA, the only parts store for 80 miles and they ordered the wrong pump! The one they ordered has one inlet, one outlet and one return line, mine only has two, the outlet is clocked towards the block so there's no way to get my fuel line connected or I would have used it. Funny the little pamphlet that comes with it says it's a universal pump and that the tank can be turned by simply loosening some screws on the tank, oddly enough there are no screws anywhere on the pump! I'm starting to wish I had ordered it from Amazon, it would have been correct and in my truck! So now I wait till tomorrow and hope they get it right!
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #27
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
No problem. Keep us informed on the outcome for future reference.

LockDoc
Well I replaced the fuel pump, replaced all the rubber lines, added a filter under the cab, replaced the steel line between the carb and pump, had to buy two because I bent the first one the wrong way, got rid of the glass inline filter at the carb and reinstalled a new filter IN the carb. Turned the key and after the pump fed the carb it started right up. Took it for a drive and it runs perfecto! I think it was my fuel pump the whole time, I'm glad I did all the other stuff anyway, the 42 year old rubber wasn't going to last much longer, it needed to go! Thanks for the help all!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #28
AirSpeed

I did make one mistake, after I finally got the steel gas line between the carb and pump bent just right I trial fit it, it was good so I tightened the carb end, got a phone call and forgot to tighten the other end at the pump. It started fine but I bet I lost a quart of gas on the ground, glad I didn't have a fire.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #29
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

A Fuel filter in between the Tank and the pump will cause your vapor lock.
I have a very nice expensive one under my cab capped of because of this. Was your old filter between the tank and pump?

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #30
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
Well I replaced the fuel pump, replaced all the rubber lines, added a filter under the cab, replaced the steel line between the carb and pump, had to buy two because I bent the first one the wrong way, got rid of the glass inline filter at the carb and reinstalled a new filter IN the carb. Turned the key and after the pump fed the carb it started right up. Took it for a drive and it runs perfecto! I think it was my fuel pump the whole time, I'm glad I did all the other stuff anyway, the 42 year old rubber wasn't going to last much longer, it needed to go! Thanks for the help all!

Glad you finally got it sorted out. They can sure be a pain sometimes.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #31
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by So.Cal.Super View Post
A Fuel filter in between the Tank and the pump will cause your vapor lock.
I have a very nice expensive one under my cab capped of because of this. Was your old filter between the tank and pump?

Having a filter under the cab below the tank will cause vapor lock? I've seen stock filters under the cab of many newer trucks, I'm not doubting you but is there a difference between a 72 and newer trucks? I put the filter there because the screen on the pickup tube was torn up, I figured it be just as good acing a big filter below the tank. I also had a glass inline filter by the carb, heard bad things about glass filters so I took it out, plumbed a solid steel line between the pump and filter and installed a filter in the carb. I had removed the stock filter when the glass filter was installed.
Thanks!

Last edited by AirSpeed; 06-25-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #32
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Glad you finally got it sorted out. They can sure be a pain sometimes.

LockDoc
Yea, seems like every time I have a problem I end up replacing everything associated with the issue! Im glad I didn't start rewiring a circuit, I'd end up pulling the entire harness out and replacing it! I'm still hunting down an annoying squeak coming from somewhere in the front of my truck! I hope I don't have to pull the damn suspension! Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #33
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

New trucks have electric pumps, our mechanical pumps weren't made to suck through a restrictive filter. Mine worked for some time with no problems all while reading posts about how I shouldn't do it. Well mine died one hot day on me due to vapor lock. I bypassed the filter and it ran fine. Pulled my filter and it was clean. So I learned the hard way. The sock in the tank isn't as restrictive. Just keep it in mind if you have any problems. Now I just run the filter in the q-jet.

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #34
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by So.Cal.Super View Post
New trucks have electric pumps, our mechanical pumps weren't made to suck through a restrictive filter. Mine worked for some time with no problems all while reading posts about how I shouldn't do it. Well mine died one hot day on me due to vapor lock. I bypassed the filter and it ran fine. Pulled my filter and it was clean. So I learned the hard way. The sock in the tank isn't as restrictive. Just keep it in mind if you have any problems. Now I just run the filter in the q-jet.
Well that sucks! Easy fix though, I have enough hose to replace the filter. It is pretty close the the exhaust. I'm going to leave it in for awhile, the old screen in the tank had broken up pretty bad, I dumped it and cleaned as good as I could but I'm sure there's still some crap in there, I'll let the filter catch a bunch before pulling it, most my driving is fairly close to home so I should be okay till I need to travel any significant miles. Thanks for the heads up!