The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

"Looks" stories

I saw a thread over in the Blazer forums about the looks that you get when driving. Thought it would be a good topic for over here.

So what crazy stories do you guys have about people looking at your ride?

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
myoldchevytruck
Retired Air Force Veteran

Re: "Looks" stories

Since mine is still sitting in the driveway, still, not running - Family, Friends, Neighbors and Passer Byers keep on asking "Is that Truck Ever Gonna Run". I keep telling them with a smile - yes it will - one day.
Swap 6 Lug to 5 Lug (w/ Disk Brakes in Front)
3/6 Drop

Help Support The Board
Click Here For Information On How To Subscribe

Krue's FAQ Page

Vendors
myoldchevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

When we trailered my brothers truck home, we got some thumbs ups and some wtf's...

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

My hair hangs to my belt,I have a full beard, and I drive a Panel.So,yeah,I get some looks but it's OK since at least they aren't stereotyping me by asking what kind of Harley I have.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
Sinisterspeed

Went to a 50s party over the weekend and drove my 57 about 25 miles away on country roads. I still got 3 or 4 people giving me the thumbs up. The first one that happened I had to think, did that guy just flip me off? then I remembered the last time I actually drove a cool car it happened too, Then it happened again, I got a better look at the guy that did it. Wheew, it was a thumbs up.... Good thing!

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
d10s69c10
Built 4 Speed

yeah i had $0.02 on the blazer forum.
and yes it does seem classic car owners "Can do no wrong" we seem to get thumbs up from everyone.
not like harleys, jeeps, corvettes, and such.
also i noticed Theres a Bias towards other classic owners "Smirk"
Kids tend to give you the "horns"
if you have loud exhaust everyone tries to race you
The police seem to go easier on you (not sure why)
Girlfriends always hate them
Friends Love/hate it wether it be envy/confusion

well im drifting into nana land on this But hell yeah

WOW i Forgot my Best Story. i was Flashed once and got a clear view of a bowtie Very close to thier heart. cruising down I-4 a few years back ill never forget it.

"To Be Old And Wise, First You Must Be Young And Stupid"

Last edited by d10s69c10; 07-28-2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: forgot my story.
d10s69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

....I forget. I'm old enough that young girls think I'm cute, now...or so they say. Why they didn't think that when I was younger...don't even know.

Got some thumbs up, smiles and nods. Some wanted to know what year it was; others wanted to know when I was going to finish it.

Great thing about our hobby. People see what we have and if they like it they tell us. I guess you can have the most elaborate pool cue and hiding it in a case keeps it from view. Kinda hard to carry your truck in a bag and hide it, huh?

Ego Food, that's what we have...Ego Food. I'm hungry....

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
Chevyman680063

Quote:
Originally Posted by d10s69c10 View Post
yeah i had $0.02 on the blazer forum.
and yes it does seem classic car owners "Can do no wrong" we seem to get thumbs up from everyone.
not like harleys, jeeps, corvettes, and such.
also i noticed Theres a Bias towards other classic owners "Smirk"
Kids tend to give you the "horns"
if you have loud exhaust everyone tries to race you
The police seem to go easier on you (not sure why)
Girlfriends always hate them
Friends Love/hate it wether it be envy/confusion

well im drifting into nana land on this But hell yeah

WOW i Forgot my Best Story. i was Flashed once and got a clear view of a bowtie Very close to thier heart. cruising down I-4 a few years back ill never forget it.

That is so true. It doesn't seem to matter whether your classic is fixed up or a rust bucket. Around here if you are in a classic vehicle and you pass by someone else in one too we always seem to do that little hand wave where we have one hand resting at the top of the wheel and just lift up our fingers in respect to each other. Cops will do the same thing if you pass by them in an old vehicle.

I live in a college town and before my '68 got messed up whenever I would go by the biggest college here I would always see the girls turn and look at me...of course then I realized they were looking at the truck and not me.

Last edited by Chevyman680063; 07-28-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Chevyman680063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:00 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I was towing a`71 shortbed frame from Florida and these guys walked up and wondered which of the 67-72s it was.They had seen me rolling up the road and knew it by the coil rear and disc brakes.So,we had a truck conversation over a frame.
I drive my `72 K2500 alot and get people wanting to ask about it or tell me about theirs all the time.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
steelhorse

So Paneldeland,Do you have a Harley?
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
johny1i

No lie--the first week that I had mine (not too long ago) I was already self-conscious about how loud the exhaust is and a FL state trooper followed me off of the highway, onto a service road, and then into a parking lot--double parking behind me (blocking me in). I happened to be dressed respectfully that day (after work), so I said "good afternoon" just as courteous as possible (knowing I was about to get a noise citation). He looked at the truck a moment and said "what year is that truck?". I answered, he said "it sure looks nice, I bet you get a lot of compliments", then he took a radio call, waved, and drove off. Couldn't believe it--FL state troopers are not known for being laid-back individuals!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
Texasbigblock

yea, it sure is funny how everyone thinks they own a race car when you have a nice old truck. When im just workin on it in the driveway everyone who passes by revs on it, kinda cracks me up...... also everyone you met will tell you a story about their dad/grandpa/uncle or whatever who had one "just like it"
Texasbigblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #13
LEEVON

couple weeks ago stopped at a light next to a new crew cab diesel with 4 or 5 guys geeking out over the truck and revving the duramax. My wife gave me the nod and my 3yo boy waved at them as we left the light. I teased them about 200yds and then stood on it. made all of our day.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #14
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I've said this before on here., Even though I get all kinds of looks/comments/thumbs up/questions/ and is for sale's with my daily driver '69 C/10, my '67 C-30, and my beater truck, I simply get harrassed about my ramp truck. There are several dirt tracks, drag strips, and scrap yards nearby and all types want this truck. I get asked to sell, get flagged down, and have notes left on my ramp truck all the time. Its rare if I stop and get fuel or grab a bite to eat that someone doesn't ask me to sell it.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:22 PM   #15
72BLUZ

i have looks from old as well as young people, at red light or just riding down the road. alot have rolled down the windows an gave compliments, and some just gave thumbs up. my most favorite was of a lady who had to be in her 70's at least. the wife and i thought she wa going to hurt herself by the way she a turning when they passed us just to admire my truck.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #16
GREASEMONKEY72

i get the what year and nice truck all the time and even break into a conversation now and then

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #17
d10s69c10
Built 4 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny1i View Post
No lie--the first week that I had mine (not too long ago) I was already self-conscious about how loud the exhaust is and a FL state trooper followed me off of the highway, onto a service road, and then into a parking lot--double parking behind me (blocking me in). I happened to be dressed respectfully that day (after work), so I said "good afternoon" just as courteous as possible (knowing I was about to get a noise citation). He looked at the truck a moment and said "what year is that truck?". I answered, he said "it sure looks nice, I bet you get a lot of compliments", then he took a radio call, waved, and drove off. Couldn't believe it--FL state troopers are not known for being laid-back individuals!
yeah i think im 74 and 19 through out FL (used to be Better odds till i bought a 06 gt +8)
if you put your dog in the back of your truck your just about ticket proof.
(would not dare do something stupid with my pup in the truck)

only thing that gets to me is leaving the thing in the parking lot and seeing people scope it out as im walking away or up to it (Paranoid)

Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #18
Premium72

i was just bsing around in downtown atlanta one afternoon. pulled in to a parking lot to go check out this shop and a Atlanta PD whips in quicker than hell an blocks me in...im like OH $h!t, what did i do. this big thick a$s swoal dude is marchn up to me gets about 5 feet away and cracks the biggest smile ive seen in awhile., and it just starts..man this thing is bad!. its sounds built(nuthn but a small cam and some headers done to the motor but it do sound gud for sure..haha) he looked over every inch of my truck. i was blwon away for sure. he was tryn to get me to light up the tires goin down the street, but it was in front of the capitol and a bit sketchy...was afunny though...
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:10 PM   #19
d10s69c10
Built 4 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premium72 View Post
im like OH !t, what did i do. this big thick a swoal dude is marchn up to me gets about 5 feet away and cracks the biggest smile ive seen in awhile.
I woulda $h!t my pants. an yes when i read this id did laugh out loud.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #20
big_al_71

Here is south florida these trucks are rarely seen so I get alot of thumbs up, the ever popular "is it for sale?"
Ahh and the other one "my uncle had one of these"

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #21
Bob 68327
72 Chevelle Club

My favorite is driving down the street setting off car alarms on all the rice burners !! I love all the thumbs up and people who can appreciate our trucks !!!

1972 Chevelle ... Mine

2006 Trailblazer... Hers

2002 Buick century ... Kids

2002 K1500 Z-71 EXT CAB ... Daily Driver

2005 Rockwood Roo ... For Camping

1974 Harley-Davidson XLH Sportster 84'' stroker
Bob 68327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:52 PM   #22
straitnate14

I get a lot of people asking how I can afford gas when I fill up or the old guys asking why I'm putting premium in an old truck and they dont question when I open the hood but to the people who ask about being able to afford gas I just tell them I drive it on the weekend and close my eyes when I fill up
Old 07-29-2008, 01:38 AM   #23
2nd_wnd

I get lots of comments about my truck whenever i stop somewhere. mind you it is rough around the edges. biggest comment is " man theat truck sure sure good. Does it run good?"

best looks i got is when i was putting the new motor in my truck and borrowed a buddies. lots of stares.

Here's his truck, still in the fixer upper stages.
Name:  P1010045.JPG
Views: 553
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  P1010044.JPG
Views: 555
Size:  34.6 KB
Old 07-29-2008, 01:46 AM   #24
67CHIP72
STOLEN

One of the coolest looks I had was when I was towing my old Super that I just sold back from Arizona. It was late at night on the freeway and this 68 primered shortbed pulls up along side me and hangs for a couple seconds scanning my load, then shoots off with approval down the road with a honk and a flick of the high beams.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:28 AM   #25
Chevyman680063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbigblock View Post
yea, it sure is funny how everyone thinks they own a race car when you have a nice old truck. When im just workin on it in the driveway everyone who passes by revs on it, kinda cracks me up...... also everyone you met will tell you a story about their dad/grandpa/uncle or whatever who had one "just like it"
I also have a '63 and I remember a few years ago I was pulling up behind some other cars at a red light and in the lane next to me was a Ford Ranger with one of those annoying loud pipes on it that makes it sound like an import. The guy looked over and saw I was in an old Chevy truck so naturally he starts revving his motor like some crazed nut.

The week afte I got the '63 I was at work and at that time I worked outside so my truck was parked close to where I was working outside. I see this guy walk up with 3 younger guys and he starts walking around my truck and when he gets to the front of it he pounds his fist on the hood a few times. I walked over to the truck and was like what the heck are you doing? Then a couple of weeks after that I had some other guy walk up and wanted to buy it. I told him it wasn't for sale then he got mad at me and asked why I was driving it then if it's not for sale.
Chevyman680063 is offline   Reply With Quote