The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
1967wannabe

Help before teardown!

Finally gonna have some time this week to get going on the project and I'm looking for some help. First we'll be fitting up the a/m front 67 sheetmetal so that it can all be massaged to fit as it will all be painted apart. After that we'll strip it to the bare frame for powdercoat and I don't want to cut or grind on the frame after it's been powdercoated.
1) I'm dropping the rear 7" and I want to move the rear trailing arm crossmember back to center up the rear wheels in the wheel openings, how far back? 1"? Also, will the CPP notch have to be located 1" back and will the panhard bar develop any interference?
2) I'm using a CPP tubular LS mount kit to install late model 5.3/4L60E combo, I understand that the compressor will work but does the frame have to be clearanced with this kit? I've seen this combo done with the ECE kit without clearancing but unsure on the CPP kit.

Thanks!
1967wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Re: Help before teardown!

lots of good info here for your LSx swap...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=206

Not sure about your question on the trailing arm x-member...so ttt for some help!!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
stomper

May not be relevant for your build but I just had my frame and stuff powder coated as well. A couple things I wish I had done before:

1. Drilled bigger holes to mount new ECE cross members. Old rivet holes are smaller than what's needed for the bolts. Doh!

2. Clearanced my lower control arms for deep offset 8" rally wheels and drop spindle combo.

3. Not sure yet but maybe I should have trimmed off lower control arm bump stop for future air-out on bags.

Don't know if you have the ECE panhard bar but it will interfere with CPP notch at full drop unless you use a block.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
1967wannabe

Oh it's relevant alright, I'm sure I'll have regrets, just trying to minimize them so thanks for the advice.

I've got the CPP adjustable track bar along with their 5" drop springs, notch kit, tubular trailing arms, drop x-member and 2" blocks....I was told it'd all work well as a pkg. Only variable is that I want to slide the whole pkg back to center the rear wheels in the wheel openings. As far as the front goes, I've got the CPP tubular upper ctrl arms, CPP modular 2" drop spindles, 13" big brake kit and 3" drop springs. I plan on powdercoating the lower ctrl arms and won't be bagging it. I've got 20" Coy's w/only 4.75" BS due to the extra 1"? clearance provided by the modular spindles. I've done the math a hundred times and am pretty sure it'll work.

Looks like I'll have to mock up a little more than I wanted to just to be sure.

Suspension's no big deal but I hate to mount the whole motor/trans assy just to check a/c compressor clearance and then pull it all back apart!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
trkfrk

my suggestion is you mock up the engine with exhaust manifolds/headers and transmission in the frame with the cab on. I pulled my engine (LS1/6 speed manual) and transmission in and out several times before I got it right. I still ended up trimming the right side of the inner frame to clear the A/C compressor with the CPP tubular mounts. Not sure what finish you have decided to go with on the frame but talk to guys that have gone with the gloss's vs a textured finish. I went with a texture "hammered black" and I am very satisfied. It hides the natural imperfections and scuffs from the assembly progress.

1972 C10 SWB LS1/T56 6 speed trans/4:56 posi with 5.5"-7" static drop/Boss 338 Wheels 18"x20"

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424609.

My first start up http://youtu.be/R899YQ1OcjU
trkfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
1967wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkfrk View Post
I pulled my engine (LS1/6 speed manual) and transmission in and out several times before I got it right. I still ended up trimming the right side of the inner frame to clear the A/C compressor with the CPP tubular mounts.
Well there ya have it, looks like I'm mocking it all up first........ better safe than sorry!

Soooo....it'll be awhile before I send the frame to powder coat now. I'm in the process of trying to buy a (lightly) totalled '05 Suburban from a good customer of ours here at the shop. Obviously I'll need to pull that drivetrain first so that it can be mocked up in the '70.

And thanks for posting the pics man!
I had myself all talked out of hammered gray powder coat and headers as I was trying to keep this thing a "driver" (yeah right). I was trying to keep the blinders on and had decided to go satin black on the frame and Trailblazer SS exh manifolds but then you have to come along and post those pics!.....so much for that plan!

Seriously though, thanks for the tips and FWIW, I'd never go gloss on the frame. I'm already a glutton for punishment, all my rides are black, the last thing I need is a gloss black frame!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

I have learned in my years of banging and clanging on cars/trucks that it is always best to spend the time to mock it up before final paint/powder coat. You will always regret something if you do not. I have learned the hard way a few times that getting impatient and not taking my time on something will do 1 of two things...Get you hurt or cost you $$$... However, I always want to slap myself when I get in a hurry and dont take the time to do it right the first time!

FWIW...I think you are heading in the right direction!
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #8
trkfrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967wannabe View Post
Well there ya have it, looks like I'm mocking it all up first........ better safe than sorry!

Soooo....it'll be awhile before I send the frame to powder coat now. I'm in the process of trying to buy a (lightly) totalled '05 Suburban from a good customer of ours here at the shop. Obviously I'll need to pull that drivetrain first so that it can be mocked up in the '70.

And thanks for posting the pics man!
I had myself all talked out of hammered gray powder coat and headers as I was trying to keep this thing a "driver" (yeah right). I was trying to keep the blinders on and had decided to go satin black on the frame and Trailblazer SS exh manifolds but then you have to come along and post those pics!.....so much for that plan!

Seriously though, thanks for the tips and FWIW, I'd never go gloss on the frame. I'm already a glutton for punishment, all my rides are black, the last thing I need is a gloss black frame!
Thanks! Looks like you have a solid foundation and a good plan. good luck...

1972 C10 SWB LS1/T56 6 speed trans/4:56 posi with 5.5"-7" static drop/Boss 338 Wheels 18"x20"

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424609.

My first start up http://youtu.be/R899YQ1OcjU
trkfrk is offline   Reply With Quote