The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #1
1968aj

a/c removal opinions wanted

looking for advice on removing the remainder of a/c components. if I ever replace the a/c unit I would go aftermarket. what all should I remove?i know I will need to change the housing under the hood to a non a/c. will I have to replace all the stuff inside the truck to non a/c also including the dash controls/? just want get rid of the non essential stuff under he hood. I want to clean up and repaint engine compartment. any input is appreciated . THANKS
Attached Images

1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
Gromit

Re: a/c removal opinions wanted

Removing all the (non-working) AC system was one of the first things I did to my 1970 C10 2WD and no regrets.

Though I live in Central Calif and can live without a heater (it is just a work truck and I have other cars); Houston might be a different story.. I did think of getting one of the seat heaters that plugs into the cigarette lighter but so far lack of a heater has not been a problem.

I fabbed a block-off plate with a piece of sheet metal from Home Depot for where that big heat exchanger / squirrel cage assembly used to be. I used the original bolt holes along with some EPDM gaskets to seal up the opening between the engine compartment and cab and can always put everything back to stock if I ever get rich enough to afford all those NOS A/C parts.

There is someone selling those firewall factory A/C block off plates I think on ebay.

You will have to loosen the hood hinge to fender bolts and lift the hood up a but to get the AC Unit off of the fire wall; but there are good photos on this forum showing the process and it isn't difficult once you've done it once.

Also removing the A/C Wiring harness I found some melted connectors on the heater blower wiring and was glad I took it all out. Was nice to get all those crumbly and totally filthy air duct hoses out from under the dash as well...

I haven't needed the defroster yet but I could see how the lack of that might be a problem... maybe carry a roll of paper towels and some windex?
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #3
1968aj

I was wanting to have a heater
Old 03-04-2016, 11:59 PM   #4
100%Chevy

They're 2 different systems.
If you remove your present system,you won't have heat until you put in an aftermarket system or the original heat only system.
I'm putting the original a/c in my 68 right now.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:06 AM   #5
F.A.A.benny

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What It's Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Last edited by 70LonghornCST; 03-06-2016 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Want to buy
F.A.A.benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:20 AM   #6
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I bet there are plenty of guys that would trade you a standard Heater box for your AC one.Just put it up for a trade
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:37 AM   #7
hdff

What part of Houston are you in, I just redid mine and could give you a hand if needed. Why don't you want to fix up your stock stuff?

And looking at your profile we have 3 things in common. Age, Harley's and old trucks
Attached Images

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394

Last edited by hdff; 03-05-2016 at 03:44 AM.
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:00 AM   #8
Bigdav160

A couple weeks ago someone posted a block off plate that allowed the use of your heater (it's inside the cab on an A/C truck) when the evaporator case is removed.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #9
1968aj

some day I will want a/c but for now I just want to keep a heater. if I change the box under the hood to heater only will I have to change out everything in the cab? now my heater works but I wanted to get rid of theall the a/c fittings and lines left under the hood. I believe the aftermarket a/c systems involve removing all stock parts hope this makes sense.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #10
67swb72klb

These units form V/A look like a good value
http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...r=Default&ar=1
Old 03-05-2016, 09:44 AM   #11
1968aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
What part of Houston are you in, I just redid mine and could give you a hand if needed. Why don't you want to fix up your stock stuff?

And looking at your profile we have 3 things in common. Age, Harley's and old trucks
I am right across the bridge in Channelview.i will be in Baytown today my m/c is doing a charity fund raiser today at the River Queen. we will meet up sometime. would like to see your truck. I have three of them I am working on.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #12
praisegeetarman

I think this is what you are in need of.

http://www.acdelete.com/pages/67-72_Truck.htm

Looks like a clean set up. Have seen a few posts complaining about the price, but also a few saying it fits well. That being said, that price doesn't seem out of line for a piece that fits well and is easy to install. Would also be easy to go back to AC at a later date if you wanted to.

Keith Riel

Last edited by praisegeetarman; 03-05-2016 at 01:19 PM.
praisegeetarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #13
1968aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisegeetarman View Post
i think this is what you are in need of.

http://www.acdelete.com/pages/67-72_truck.htm

looks like a clean set up. Have seen a few posts complaining about the price, but also a few saying it fits well. That being said, that price doesn't seem out of line for a piece that fits well and is easy to install. Would also be easy to go back to ac at a later date if you wanted to.
that would be nice$$$$ i will either just remove all of mine and go with a stock heater only or just remove only what i can and leave it as is. Just looking to get rid of unnecessary parts and use what i have,iam trying to fix up my 69 my 72 and my 68. Its getting a bit overwhelming
Old 03-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: a/c removal opinions wanted

The in cab stuff is the same pretty much. You will need to block off the AC ducting in the housings is all are either trade with someone who needs the AC stuff. The fire wall will need fixing for heat only it's a different cutout. That will be your main concern with this swap.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #15
1968aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
The in cab stuff is the same pretty much. You will need to block off the AC ducting in the housings is all are either trade with someone who needs the AC stuff. The fire wall will need fixing for heat only it's a different cutout. That will be your main concern with this swap.

THANKS this is what I did not think about. so for now I will just keep what I have and remove any wiring and plumbing under the hood that is not needed. like it is now the heater still works. later on if I keep this truck I will get aftermarket a/c
Old 03-06-2016, 12:30 AM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: a/c removal opinions wanted

I did just the oppisite of you. I went to factory AC. Cutting the dash wasn't that bad really. Just make sure you mark it right before you start cutting!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote