The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
DRGunn

"New exhaust"

I replaced my exhaust with the kit from LMC. It arrived quickly and I cut the old exhaust out and was able to piece the exhaust together.

Problems arose when I assumed that the driver's side of the truck was the left side of the truck. I started putting in the right side of the exhaust, they are labelled right and left, but the right tail pipe turned into the center of the truck. Looking at the left tail pipe it looked like it would exit out behind the rear wheel if I installed it on the right side. So I installed it on the right side and the right tail pipe went to the left. Now both of these have the up and over section for the axle so if I wanted it to come out properly, the up and over would have been under the axle.

After getting things cinched down and starting it up I noticed it running a little slower at idle. Now I had already put in a fresh carb, HEI ignition, new plugs and oil/filter change but I was not expecting a lower idle speed.

After reviewing the old exhaust (was 1-7/8") I found some serious dents in the exhaust (see pics). Now running 2-1/4" exhaust I expect I need to tune things up a little...

Do you think it had some serious back pressure?
Attached Images

DRGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
Jack_71C10
Shortbed club member

Re: "New exhaust"

I doesn't hurt performance as much as you may think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU
2023 Hyundai Tuscon
1986 GMC 3500 Bucket Truck

Sent from my Rotary Phone via 14.4kb/s modem.
Jack_71C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:46 PM   #3
toolboxchev

So did it finally end up fitting correctly? I would like to hear about how well it went together?

Please let us know, I had posted a thread in the past inquiring about this specific product.

Thanks in advance.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #4
DRGunn

Fitting correctly is a question I still have. After ordering the system and getting it into the truck, I found out that I probably could have had a new exhaust put on at a shop for about $50 more than I paid for the kit.
Once I get it all aligned and secure I plan to get the pieces welded together to eliminate the clamps.

Alas, I wanted to do it myself. I still have some adjustments to make (the wife wanted the parking space in the garage) and will get to that in time. The truck is not my daily driver, just a material hauler for now.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:41 PM   #5
toolboxchev

Did you keep your stock exhaust diverter valve on the drivers side manifold?

I am currently repairing mine, and was very interested in their product. They could not tell me over the phone on this issue.

If I can be of assistance with your install over the net let me know.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:01 PM   #6
DRGunn

There was no diverter valve on the previous iteration of the exhaust. The previous version was straight out the back dual exhaust. Although with all the holes in the pipes and holes in the glass packs I am pretty sure it never got out the back. Not to mention the lack of tail pipe on the left side...
Old 02-23-2016, 12:42 AM   #7
toolboxchev

Thanks DR I am sure most of us out here at some time looked at that issue. Or it came up in changing out their systems.