The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2004, 06:07 AM   #1
kw

What's it worth?

There's an ad in the local paper for a '72 K5 CST. 82k original miles.

I called and the guy tells me it's real nice. He's an older retired fellow and has no need for the truck any more. Has all the trim, and the previous owner had used it only to plow the driveway. I ask about the rust issue and he mentions a tiny bit in the driver's side rocker and bottom of door.

This is a non A/C truck with a manual transmission. Only alteration is the addition of a Myers plow.

Looking for what a reasonable price might be given the condition I've described.

Thoughts?
kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:28 AM   #2
vtblazer

Worth

Not sure it's worth in your area but there's no such thing as "a tiny bit of rust" maybe that's going over board, just be carefull.
Look it over allot closer. I had a guy tell me the same thing but when I went and looked at it the torsion boxes were totally MIA
Check the inner/lower kick panels where they meet the floor, the windshield frame, rear body over the bumper/below the bed and where the inner rockers meet the floor also. Look at the lower parts of the radiator support under where the battery is and check the front of the inner fenders too.
You should go and look though, it may be the one remaining creampuff we've all been searching for. :p Good luck
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:00 AM   #3
Huck

A rust free blazer, 35 years old, with a snow plow on it, that was only used to clean the drive way----HELLO!! Yea right and where is it located!!!!
Rust showing on the exterior is like the tip of an iceberg. When you get underneath it you will find interesting stuff! That doesn't mean that this might not be a good deal, just make sure you get under it to really see what's happened and realize that rust repair is always 5 time for difficult then it looks and 10 times more expensive then you think. That said, offer the guy $150. and see what he does!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:06 AM   #4
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I've seen the listing and it looks very nice. From the photos, it appears he has kept it clean and in dry storage when not in use. The one thing I did notice is that the tailgate isn't orignial. I would find out what else, if anything, has been replaced and why.

Based on the pictures and given that it is a low option truck, I would say that it is worth between $6,500 - 8,000. I know that is a broad range, but prices vary depending on the area of the country and there are some unknowns to this truck.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
kw

Well, I'm back....

I went up today at lunch to take a peek. Funny thing was, at the price he was asking, I figured he'd had a mess of calls. I was the first and only.

Bouncytruck....are you sure we're talking about the same guy? You're way out west. I've never seen this truck advertised anywhere else. This truck is in MD.

What I did see was a totally unmolested 1972 Blazer. Well, maybe not totally. He had the Myers plow on the front, and unfortunately, as Kurt and Huck mentioned, Mother Nature has had her way with it.

My '72 came originally from Arizona, somehow migrated east to somewhere Portsmouth VA, to the best of my knowledge, then to Fredericksburg, VA, where I found it in 1992. In early 1994 it went to Kill Devil Hills NC , and five years later, after Ding Dong and I split up on New Years, carried me back to No. Va., now in So. MD.

Rocker boxes on my truck seem to be very solid except where the rockers would weld in, but that may be superficial, dunno, I'm not a body expert, maybe after blasting they'll be fine, or I can pick up a new set. The passenger side on the vehicle I looked at this afternoon had no rocker box on the passenger side, just the remnants, and a diagonal rod, but, they were 'painted black'...Gee was that Ziebarting, like the guy said?????

I've learned a lot about the Blazer I have now, and realize with the quantity of aftermarket parts available, I can make it pretty much anything I want given the time, tools and money.

So, I guess I have to ask another question. Is there any benefit in getting another Blazer, that, even though it's stock, almost perfectly stock, but rusted out as bad or worse than my modified ugly Klunker in the driveway that I've been hanging on to thru thick and thin, to salvage for non body parts, or, is it better just to get the panels, doors, tailgate, etc, thru this board and the aftermarket? Not looking for a perfectly stock show car, just a decent driver for hunting and fishing. I have two springers that love the woods.

The seller, after I've pointed out all the flaws of the vehicle, tells me the plow is worth $1000. Then he tells me he'll take no less than $3250 for the entire rig. To me that seems excessively high. While he might have a stock interior, the carpet is still shot, front drivers seat needs covering, (rest is beautiful) rear fender covering panels are stock and nice, engine purrs, plow does look nice. Also includes two extra sets of tires and wheels. Inside the glovebox still has the metallic dealer's sticker where it was bought.

Now if that crew cab that's in Laguna Beach was here, might be a different story, but I have a thing for those big ugly beasts.....once I sell the boat might be a different story.

Whatever input you can give. I'm always greatful for. Thanks. Sorry for the long post.

Kurt
(The other Kurt)
Old 09-16-2004, 07:05 PM   #6
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

TOK, PIC'S WOULD HELP US BOARD MEMBERS GIVE YOU A ESTIMATION IF
HIS PRICE IS REASONABLE OR TOTALLY , CAN U GET PIC'S OF HER.
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:18 PM   #7
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

There is one on e-bay with the exact same discription. It is in New York. I'm surprised that there are two similar sounding trucks for sale at the same time. The one on e-bay has a starting bid around $6K. It is orange and the description says that they are the original owners and used it to plow their driveway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW
Old 09-16-2004, 07:20 PM   #8
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

WOW BOUNCER, THAT IS A PRETTY TIGHT LIL RIG.
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:29 PM   #9
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Yeah, it looks pretty nice to me. I think someone on the board should snag it. LUV, you just got rid of one so you have space
Old 09-16-2004, 07:44 PM   #10
kw

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8
TOK, PIC'S WOULD HELP US BOARD MEMBERS GIVE YOU A ESTIMATION IF
HIS PRICE IS REASONABLE OR TOTALLY , CAN U GET PIC'S OF HER.

I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately, I work at a government facility that has restrictions on bringing cameras on and off premises, and I don't have a pass.

Like I said, from the street when I pulled up I saw the standard 'east coast rust', meaning the bubbling at the corners of the doors, bulging rockers, and that was the tip of the iceburg.

From the guy's description over the phone it was a spot of rust on the doors and rockers. When I opened the drivers door, the rocker panel was separating fron the sheet metal on the B-post, passenger side rocker box was virtually non-existant, except for the torsion rod and some remains, driver's side rocker box had that sickening hollow sounding rust built up "thunk" to it, I don't know how else to describe it, just reminds me of countless bloody knuckles in the mid '70's trying to salvage MG's, Austin Healeys, Truimphs, etc.

I never got around to lifting the carpet off the floorboards. After hearing the price, I didn't see a need. I did lift up the carpet off the bed in back. Original rubber base was still there, inner fender tubs were almost totally rusted thru on the edges, again, another east coast thing.

This one was blue. From a long distance, if any of you follow the ebay trucks, this one looked a lot like that one that just went off from Mississippi, but in looks only. Photos do wonders, but I think every piece of moulding on this Blazer (in MD) had a dent, but, then again, all I'm looking for is a driver. I ask you, can a guy have enough Blazers, or shotguns?

Down here where I live, A/C is a must, or the soft top, but then you have to beat all the girls away . I picked up an A/C unit about 4 years ago from a guy on the board, Mike Reynolds, I think his handle is 70Jimmy. Straight up guy from Corvallis. Have that, and picked up an A/C dash from Jess in NH.

Anybody have a bunch of time they'd like to sell? Say about 20 years?

Thanks for all the help so far.

The Maryland Kurt