The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2018, 08:56 PM   #1
ItzhakRoberto

Bought a Longhorn...highlander? need help w/ identification. PICS

Good Afternoon Fellas,

About a month ago I was searching craigslist and I came across a truck that was the right color combination that I've personally always wanted (dad had one the same color combo many years ago)... dark olive/white/d. olive.

When I went to go see it, turns out its actually a longhorn which was nice..I the guy didn't put it up on the ad and the pictures were blurry so I couldn't tell.

The guy let it go for a real good price I couldn't pass up so I ended up taking her home with me.

So it turns out its got some nice options like AC, tilt wheel, top and bottom exterior trim, sidemarker lights, camper wiring and so on.

I'll post the SPID down below as well as other pics of interior and when i went to buy the truck.

It's pretty much all bone stock original engine, tranny, rear end. 78,000 Miles on the clock and seems to have been decently cared for. Not a lot of rust minus a little on the door corners and about a 1-1/2" hole in the firewall near the cowl.

MY QUESTION - were longhorns ever made in a highlander trim? If so is this maybe one of them?

The only think that's throwing me off is the seat..is this even a seat upholstery that was offered??

It's got the black dash and steering wheel and carpet with white door panels and visors.

Any help would be nice.

Let me know if you guys need any more pics of the truck! I can take some later today or tomorrow.

I'm attaching some pics below.

Thank You,
Roberto
Attached Images

ItzhakRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
ItzhakRoberto

Re: Bought a Longhorn...highlander? need help w/ identification. PICS

SORRY for the sideways pic.

hopefully this one is upright.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2018, 09:06 PM   #3
jocko

Yes, 72 Longhorns could be purchased with the Highlander seat trim OR the Special Promo Pkg (A,B, or C) which bundled a few convenience items for a Custom Deluxe (that included plaid seat cover). Yours is an RPO YG8 Special Promo Pkg C, the one that came with the most stuff in the package. Nice truck! Yours would have looked like kinda this when new (but this is obviosuly a medium olive paint truck, but you get the idea):
EDIT: replaced the pic with a better one. And HEY, it's a 1 ton! Nice nice.
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 11-25-2018 at 10:25 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:10 PM   #4
bill3rail

Nice Truck! Thanks for the pictures.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:20 PM   #5
Bones72Super

Super cool!! Custom Camper Longhorn Highlander in a great color combo!
Old 11-25-2018, 10:47 PM   #6
ItzhakRoberto

I appreciate all the help guys!

There's one more question i had...I have a switch by the driver side door on the dash at the end, i'll post a pic...just curious as to what it was....i followed the wire but not hooked up to anything.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2018, 10:52 PM   #7
ItzhakRoberto

Hey Jocko thanks for all the info! It's a big help!

And yeah I forgot to mention its a one ton! I'll post some more pictures... original owner had put a mini 5th wheel on it. Said it was used to haul cattle for some years or so they said.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:40 PM   #8
yuccales

Very cool truck. One heck of a SPID!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:47 PM   #9
WorkinLonghorn

Hey neighbor, nice truck.

Follow the wires from that switch and I'll bet it was some sort of anti-theft device. Mine had one too but in a different location. There was actually a big bell under the hood and a switch that opened when the hood was opened. -BA in Studio City
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #10
davepl

That's funny, I had the SAME switch in the SAME location and forgot to weld it up when it was in the body shop so now I have a cab light switch there.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #11
jocko

If it’s a 3 position toggle, then it’s likely the fuel gauge switch to choose which tank fuel level is displayed (main or aux right or aux left). It LOOKS like a 2-position toggle - in which case it is likely just an on/off for some old previous owner gadget (because that’s not exactly a good location for an anti-theft kill switch)
Old 11-26-2018, 11:00 PM   #12
ItzhakRoberto

I was thinking it was a fuel tank switch but i already have one on the floor by the door sill and one one the dash above the ignition switch.

Actually it just donned on me that the previous owner had aftermarket fog lamps...i wonder if at some point that switch was wired to it?

anyways..... if you guys don't mind helping out ..i got another one for you.

The engine i have...it lists it under a 400 CID ...is that the 400 sbc or do i have a BB?

Here's a pic of the engine ( sort of....took the carb off for a rebuild)...and yes its in need of a good cleaning..... soon as i'm done cleaning out the fuel lines and gas tank.

Let me know if you guys need a better pic of it.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2018, 11:48 PM   #13
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Very nice score on the truck. Although the spid says 400you have the Big Block 402 engine which was the available in 1972. If you haven't already looked at it there is another thread on this site called " Do you have a Plaid Pickup". There are 10 pages or more of posts and pictures directly pertaining to Highlanders and it would be great if you would post some pictures along with a spid pic of your truck.Use the search button top right of the main page to find the thread. In case you want to redo the seat to its original plaid sometime the material is readily available form SMS Upholstery in Canby Oregon..

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:50 PM   #14
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzhakRoberto View Post
I was thinking it was a fuel tank switch but i already have one on the floor by the door sill and one one the dash above the ignition switch.

Actually it just donned on me that the previous owner had aftermarket fog lamps...i wonder if at some point that switch was wired to it?

anyways..... if you guys don't mind helping out ..i got another one for you.

The engine i have...it lists it under a 400 CID ...is that the 400 sbc or do i have a BB?

Here's a pic of the engine ( sort of....took the carb off for a rebuild)...and yes its in need of a good cleaning..... soon as i'm done cleaning out the fuel lines and gas tank.

Let me know if you guys need a better pic of it.
Just out of curiosity was the A/C compressor and its attachments still on the truck?

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:11 AM   #15
ItzhakRoberto

Almost Gone:

Thanks for the info on the engine! .. and on that tip on who sells material for that seat. I'd like to get it back to an original look...I'll definitely look into it! Just want to get the engine running smooth again first.

As for the A/C... its got all the components hooked up... when i turn the AC on...the fan does start blowing air...just not really cold...
Previous owner said that the A/C had still worked up until about 6 years ago.

He did though remove the heater core and bypassed the heater... he mentioned something about it starting to leak into the cab a little? Not sure if you've ever heard of that.

It's a real nice bone stock truck from what i can see. Original air cleaner and Quadrajet.....came with the bottle jack and hardware and a couple packs of NOS GM fuses and a few other things.
Every day i go under the hood or under the truck i'm liking it more and more LOL.
She just needs to be freshened up a bit.

I'll take some better pictures of the engine bay tomorrow once the suns up and post them here so you can check it out.

I'll also check out that Plaid Pickup thread!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:24 AM   #16
jocko

The floor switch you mentioned for the fuel only changes the tank the fuel comes from - i.e. it's just a selector valve - it doesn't have any effect on the fuel gauge. It's entirely possible that your aux tanks were never set up with fuel senders, so the gauge always indicates the cab tank level - but some aux tanks did get senders and, in that case, the gauge was normally controlled by a 3 position toggle that only affected the gauge display - didn't switch the actual fuel source like your floor switch. If it's a 2 position switch, probably just for the fog lamps you mentioned.