The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2002, 07:29 PM   #1
72gmcshorty

Post any use CPP rear sway bar?

I have one but can't figure out how to drill the holes to mount it to the arms of the truck. Has anyone used this swaybar and knows any good tips? Here's the link to the pic. Their picture is wrong where it shows how to drill to the arms. The bolt hole can't run along the seam. Know what I mean?

http://www.classicperform.com/CP7401.html
Old 04-15-2002, 07:37 PM   #2
Cheyenne Super

I was looking at that earlier today. My guess would be one bolt on either side of the vertical flange.

[This message has been edited by Cheyenne Super (edited April 15, 2002).]
Cheyenne Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 07:51 AM   #3
MikeB

Wow! That's a great drawing compared to the one I got with my Hellwig bar. I sometimes think there's only one bar manufacturer (Addco) and everyone else private-labels their bar and includes their own instructions. Anyway, the main things to remember for maximum anti-roll are: 1) install the bar parallel to the ground with the rear springs in their normal loaded position, and 2) mount it as far rearward as you can on the control arms. To do this and keep the bar parallel to the ground you will probably need longer end links than the ones supplied with the kit. I had to order an #005 end link kit from Addco for my 69 C10 with 3" drop rear springs. They are 9-3/4" center to center, whereas the ones that came with my bar are only 6-1/4". Addco makes a kit that's even longer, which you might need for a stock height truck. I know someone who installed his bar 18" in front of the axle and used short end links, which made the bar angle upward to the frame. This reduces the heck out of the bar's anti-roll effect. For info on end links, check out http://www.addco.net/install.shtml#endlinks
I'll post a picture of my installation when I get my digital camera this weekend!
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 07:50 PM   #4
Cheyenne Super

What do you think about this. fab up some custom mounts that attach with the rear axle. Attach your end link to this bracket. Then make a mini cross member or use an existing one if it is close enough and attach the swaybar clamps to that cross member. Here is something else to consider when I called classic performance today. they told me that thier coil over kit by itself handled better than the best coil spring/shock/sway bar setup. Another sorta off the wall idea is to use a stock car style setup which uses endlinks that push arms attached to a bar of spring steel.
What do ya think?
Cheyenne Super is offline   Reply With Quote