The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #26
cdowns

Re: Longbed vs. Shortbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Why would a Harley be in the bed of a truck, instead of being ridden?

cvause i buy them broken and abused and fix them up then try and sell to supplement my income

sometimes these vintage bikes just wont start
Attached Images

71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 10-13-2009 at 11:38 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #27
dbaillargeon

Well here is one for you....I bought a 69 GMC C 30 Stepside Long bed. My question is this, there is a 8" gap between the front of the box and the cab of truck. I was told by the owner, who was the second owner of the truck that it was a "contractor box" the gap was if the box twisted it wouldn't strike the cab of the truck...I am hoping someone out there in blog world has seen this. I really appreciate any help.

Last edited by dbaillargeon; 05-08-2010 at 10:22 PM.
dbaillargeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #28
Tater
Cradle Robber

Is'nt the longhorn 8'' longer than a regular longbed?I could be completely wrong but maybe you have a longhorn with the wrong bed on it

"Hippies.They're everywhere.They wanna save the earth,but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."Eric Cartman

"Think about how stupid the average person is,and realize half of them are stupider than that."George Carlin
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #29
special-K
Special Order

I never cared for things because they are more popular.That`s for herd followers.Trends are set by those who find their own path.There was a time when the herd passed up trucks for cars.That`s when I was one of the rare truck guys around here and it seems it`s the car guys who "only" like shortbeds.I like both long and short,Stepside and Fleetside,1/2t-10 ton,older the better.I`ve had`em all.Shortbeds were traditionally most popular in California and the Southeast back before the big truck boom.There are plenty of other areas that trucks were popular as personal use vehiles in place of a car,but the most you saw a loaded Fleetside shortbed were these areas.Basically,back then these were cars that could haul for those guys.A truck can do what a car does,for 2 or 3 people,but a car can`t do what a truck does.That`s why custom comfort equipment started coming available even back then.Now it`s hard to find a stripped truck.Well,with the economy in the dumps and they high cost of new trucks I`m seeing more "strippers" again.A shortbed may handle a 1/2 a notch better than a longbed,but a longbed rides far better than a shorty.They both still handle like trucks.As far as stylish goes,that`s a matter of opinion.Some would say short looks stubby and long looks sleek.There was a time when length was equated with elegance in the auto world.I`ve seen some damn sexy longbeds in my day.All I know is,with so many of these trucks around,if I want a shortbed I get a shortbed and if I want a longbed I get a longbed.I don`t see longbeds costing any less than shortbeds,either.It all depends on the truck and the buyer.If you want a shortbed you`ll pay more,I guess.I just pay what I feel it`s worth.Paying less for what I don`t want is a waste of money.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #30
Josh
He's got mean nasty FANGS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaillargeon View Post
Well here is one for you....I bought a 69 GMC C 30 Stepside Long bed. My question is this, there is a 8" gap between the front of the box and the cab of truck. I was told by the owner, who was the second owner of the truck that it was a "contractor box" the gap was if the box twisted it wouldn't strike the cab of the truck...I am hoping someone out there in blog world has seen this. I really appreciate any help.
You could get cab and chassis and Longhorns in a 133" wheelbase. Which is 6" longer than the standard 127" wheelbase of a longbed. Your truck is either a longhorn with the wrong bed on it or a 133" wheel base cab and chassis with regular longbed thrown on it.
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
josh@67-72chevytrucks.com
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #31
special-K
Special Order

Yeah,Josh is right.The C/30 pickups were 133" wheelbase with a 9' Stepside (GMC Fenderside) bed,except for 68-72 Longhorns (GMC Custom Campers) which are wide beds.It sounds like yours has an 8' swapped on it.There`s never a shortage of people telling you facts as they see them as if they are actually true.That`s why we`re here,to set the facts straight.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #32
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post
To end the debate I say we take this to the extremes. One of us can build a 4 foot bed and the other a 12 foot bed.
who wants to play.......
4 footer is being done, over on the 60-66 forum...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=179289&page=4
Attached Images

Last edited by lakeroadster; 05-11-2010 at 10:09 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:48 AM   #33
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

Swb are only popular because of looks or someone who does light work. I personally like lwb. I think stepsides look butt ugly and awkward. The only time I would cut down a frame is to make a swbcc. Those are awesome looking. Just my opinion.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:14 AM   #34
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I never cared for things because they are more popular.That`s for herd followers.Trends are set by those who find their own path.There was a time when the herd passed up trucks for cars.That`s when I was one of the rare truck guys around here and it seems it`s the car guys who "only" like shortbeds.I like both long and short,Stepside and Fleetside,1/2t-10 ton,older the better.I`ve had`em all.Shortbeds were traditionally most popular in California and the Southeast back before the big truck boom.There are plenty of other areas that trucks were popular as personal use vehiles in place of a car,but the most you saw a loaded Fleetside shortbed were these areas.Basically,back then these were cars that could haul for those guys.A truck can do what a car does,for 2 or 3 people,but a car can`t do what a truck does.That`s why custom comfort equipment started coming available even back then.Now it`s hard to find a stripped truck.Well,with the economy in the dumps and they high cost of new trucks I`m seeing more "strippers" again.A shortbed may handle a 1/2 a notch better than a longbed,but a longbed rides far better than a shorty.They both still handle like trucks.As far as stylish goes,that`s a matter of opinion.Some would say short looks stubby and long looks sleek.There was a time when length was equated with elegance in the auto world.I`ve seen some damn sexy longbeds in my day.All I know is,with so many of these trucks around,if I want a shortbed I get a shortbed and if I want a longbed I get a longbed.I don`t see longbeds costing any less than shortbeds,either.It all depends on the truck and the buyer.If you want a shortbed you`ll pay more,I guess.I just pay what I feel it`s worth.Paying less for what I don`t want is a waste of money.
x2 only thing i cant see is why chop a long bed to make a short bed with the parts and time it will coast the same to buy an equal condition short bed

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #35
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmtGmt View Post
x2 only thing i cant see is why chop a long bed to make a short bed with the parts and time it will coast the same to buy an equal condition short bed
When I am done with my LWB project/conversion, I will have less than half the money into it that it takes to buy a decent SWB.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #36
topdog

As long as its an old chevy truck I don't care what bed its got.
  • 68 K-20 lwb,fleet,327,350

Last edited by topdog; 05-12-2010 at 09:59 PM.
topdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #37
dbaillargeon

Thanks Everyone for the info.

Special K you are exactly accurate when you say that.....Does anyone know where I could get a decent used "LONGHORN" box.