The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
ChevyMo

GMC Pauls and TruckandCarShop

I rarely ever make a post I am more the peruser of the cool trucks I see here. But I have seen a lot of good posts about GMC Pauls and from my experience they are on my bad vendors list. It seems these parts sellers are going the way of Ebay sellers. Promise you a good price and then gouge you on the shipping.

I ordered a fuel tank and a window strip kit from GMC Pauls. What seemed to be a good deal. Then they tried to apply a second charge of $15 to my card for "oversized shipping" there was already a standard charge for shipping when I placed the order. I denied that second charge. Then I get my tank and found out it was dropped shipped from the manufacturer for free! On top of that GMC Pauls failed to ship the window strip kit, I had to call and ask them for a tracking number, low and behold they couldnt find it. But later sent me an email with a tracking number, it shipped the day I called.

Today I ordered some parts from TruckandCarShop.com. After finishing my transaction, there wasnt a shipping charge on the invoice. Im thinking since my order was over $100 ($119) then shipping must be free. I hit submit and the cart closed, no notice that transaction was complete, a thank you or nothing. I got a confirmation email stating $119 and $0 dollars for shipping.
Then about an hour later I get a phone call from someone stating that there is a $15 shipping charge that would be added to my charges. The parts I ordered would fit in a shoe box, Im thinking the standard shipping would be around $8 to $10. She tells me all orders of different price range have a flat charge for shipping. I told her to go ahead and ship it but that would be the last order they would get from me.

So, I guess my post is to these two vendors as much as it is for the consumers. I will not be ordering from GMC Pauls or TruckandCarShop anymore. I find your business practices shady and underhanded. You don't deserve my money.
ChevyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: GMC Pauls and TruckandCarShop

Truck and Car Shop is one of the best vendors IMO. Always have everything in stock, no drop shipping BS. They will get my business any day of the week! Good luck finding a vendor that ships for free

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
nds1968

The Truck and Car Shop got me on shipping also. I still made the order because it was a good deal. I bought from them several times and will do so again. I've even dealt with them at Carlise. They are kind of grumpy people but I guess traveling and dealing with knuckle heads like my self I don't blame them. I still deal with them because they have great prices and nice quality products.

I do recommend them to others but I fore worn them on how the charge for shipping.

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
Rack Man

I agree about both...The truck and car shop is awesome with great pricing and fast delivery....and GMC Pauls....well, I will never order from someone who will not answer the phone.....yep, they quit accepting phone calls.....only email correspondence....Not for me!

RM

Last edited by Rack Man; 11-16-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Rack Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:36 AM   #5
ChevyMo

hey led

I said in my original post, GMC Pauls apparently has a good reputation on this site, but my experience was different. I felt they exploited the shipping charges as did TruckandCarShop.com.

I wasnt trying to get shipping for free. My statement implied that I paid more for shipping than it cost the vendor to ship to me and lots of companies ship for free on minimum orders. IMO shipping charges should be just that "shipping charges." My receipt for truckandcarshop states shipping charges $0. Everything I said in my original post was absolutely the truth. SO HERE IS THE PROOF.
Truckandcarshop reciept:

(67-02605) 67-72 Interior door handle chrome $4.00 X 2 = $8.00
(67-02608) 67-72 Interior window crank handle $4.00 X 2 = $8.00
(72-02416) 72 Door window regulator LH $29.00 X 1 = $29.00
(72-02417) 72 Door window regulator RH $30.00 X 1 = $30.00
(67-02112) 67-72 Exterior door handles- Chrome $37.00 X 1 = $37.00
(60-07306) 60-72 Weatherstrip adhesive $7.00 X 1 = $7.00----------------------------------------------------------------------Product Total $119.00Shipping (Shipping) $0.00----------------------------------------------------------------------Grand Total $119.00

GMC PAUL'S order:

The double dip at my bank for oversized shipping:

04/14 Check Crd Purchase 04/13 Gmcpauls Truck Parts 765−5692906 317.90
102000076DA01
04/14 Check Crd Purchase 04/13 Gmcpauls Truck Parts Rockville In 486830 16.75
102000076DA01

They applied the second charge to my card without any notification whatsoever.

The original invoice from GMC Pauls:

Date: Sun Apr 12 18:19:23 -0400 2009
Order Status: Accepted

(R&WS1) 8Piece Door Window Seal Kit $64.95 X 1 = $64.95
(MS-2042GTS2&S) 21 Gallon Poly Tank Kit $229.95 X 1 = $229.95
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Total $294.90
Select Shipping (Select Shipping Based On Pa) $23.00
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Total $317.90

The web site of the company that actually shipped the tank:

>http://www.mtscompany.com/index.htm<

notice:FREE SHIPPING to 48 states via FedEx Ground service.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Cheers!

ChevyMo

Last edited by ChevyMo; 11-21-2009 at 02:51 AM. Reason: edited for content
Old 11-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
leddzepp

You state that you expect shipping to be around $10....then whine when its $5 more?!

Your post proves nothing. Cheers!

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I`m moving this to the Review Board.I don`t see this as a bad deal.More like a bad review.You are disappointed and want to let others know.

It`s easier for "all" to have a flat rate shipping policy.It`s either price high enough to include shipping or price fair and charge shipping based on dollar value of order.I`m sure it`s calculated to make the charge "at least" cover the cost.You end up over paying sometimes,but you always know the cost up front.It`s like selling on our parts board.You get all these responses based on shipping cost.We have to weight the part and go online with the zips and get prices.Sometimes the online price is wrong.I`ve taken large expensive pieces to the shipper for an actual price,then that person backs out and another needs a quote in another corner of the world.Some people still want it and some pass based on shipping.If they knew the cost up front they never would have responded.So,I price alot of smaller stuff shipping included.That`s how estimating works.
Also,that`s what the post office does on their end with the flat rate boxes.It just makes things more convenient for everyone,which can cost a few bucks extra.I don`t think they really "profit" from the charges.Just a few bucks here and there to cover all the time involved that`s hard to figure in.I just don`t mail order certain things from certain places according to how shipping works.

Example:
If bought a steering wheel from LMC or $1 and shipping for $100-$149.99 was $40.It cost about $15 to ship.That really seemed to make a big difference,so I decided I`d only buy them at shows or for actual shipping.
There are parts in that price range that you can hold in the palm of your hand that don`t weight but ounces.it doesn`t seem right to pay $40 to ship that,so I don`t get it from that place.
I don`t mind calling,getting a quote,and paying actual cost.But most of the world wants it faster and that`s how they do it.

How do you know the tank was shipped for free?The manufacturer has shipping accounts,so do the vendors,the vendor has an account with the manufacturer,and you don`t know who`s billing who for what.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-23-2009 at 09:02 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
ChevyMo

SK
There was no shipping charge when the order was placed. No shipping charged showing on the receipt in my email. I did not recieve any knowledge of a shipping charge until I received a phone call an hour after the order, informing me that there would be a shipping charge. If it was calculated based upon the invoice total then it should of been on the receipt and at the order placement. I dont care where you put the post, it is a bad deal when a company has hidden costs associated with a purchase. I did not know the cost up front when I placed the order, it says $0 for shipping.

Quote:
I`m sure it`s calculated to make the charge "at least" cover the cost.You end up over paying sometimes,but you always know the cost up front.
When I go to the tank companys web site and there on the front page it says "ship anywhere in 48 states for free" and doesnt say "but only to customers that dont have an account with us" It would be a lot safer bet that they ship for free for everyone, than your assumption that they have a different deal set up with a vendor. The tank did arrive seperately with the tank manufacturer shipping label. And you did not even mention the fact that they also went to charge me EXTRA for that free shipping without notifying me. To me that is criminal intent.

Quote:
How do you know the tank was shipped for free?The manufacturer has shipping accounts,so do the vendors,the vendor has an account with the manufacturer,and you don`t know who`s billing who for what.

As far what they did charge at truckandshop.com is no matter, seems your just a flameboy, led. A hidden charge is shady business, regardless of "how much."

I've made my last post about this issue. I was attempting to give some insight into "buyer beware" but obviously the "sponsors" have more credence than joe consumer.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
ChevyMo

BTW- got this email from the very reputable truckandcarshop.com today. The complete email wouldn't fit the clipboard. I will go away now.

Testing the blaster.‏
Sent: Mon 11/23/09 11:13 AM
To: xxxxxxx@hotmail.com

�JFIF�������LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01���    "!#(3+#&0&,=-0569:9"+?C>8C3897 7$$77777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777���������� ������� ���}�!1AQa"q2#BR$3br %&'()*456789:CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz��w�!1AQaq"2B #3Rbr $4%&'()*56789:CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz��� ��?��(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(� �(�#ր#ր �(��dz�2=hr(� �(�Ƞ" �2(�Ƞ" �(�Ƞ"#ր Z�\�2(�" �2(� �2(�" �LZ�2=E�4�P@G��dzdz�2=E�.G��dz@G�#ր �2(�Ƞ" �2(�Ƞ" �2(�Ƞ" �2=h2=hh�#ր �(�" �3@h� �2(�" �(�Ƞ �2(� �2=h2=Ear(�Ƞ" �2=h2=E� �2(�Ƞ" @= �-��P@��@� % xS?MC4X-`��K�*?\?᥏ ?P�T� .Q?0�TX\�У�@i�ڨ� 1�RT?UK�ԥ�@l�ʇ�j̣�@4�G�*�\�Х�E_is�BTUq�1�Q@�9�G�*? '�\�У�@4�G�*?`�?(�C�Q`ib?R?0�T�Di�ڨLԣ�@4?�ʇ�j6is�BT?U��.4�G�*K�Ԡa�ڨ \D�ڨ��?(�C�P� 1�RTU�/4)D?U�'4(�C�P�KO ?U�'4"a�ڨ��"?�T�KO ?U�̢a�ک�K�ԣ�E??R�ʇ�j4J_P�T� .Q�ʇ�j\�У�@\?�R�ʇ�ja� ,Q�ʇ�jK�ڨ��?)C�Pi�ڨ c/A?�S�ʏ�j��O�*?inxTUd\�Х�@4�G�*� ,z�#_��?�G�*i�ڨ���K�*?i�ڨ���K�*?i�ڨ���K�*?i�ڨ���K�*?i�ڨ���K�*?i�ڨ���K�*?io�ک\Wi�کOi�ڨ �?(� 1�RT?U+�X#ib?Q?0�T4?P#h?R�ʏ�j?|"Go�Oic�B��j,_(�C�Pb�K$C�P � .Q�ʇ�j`�Тa�ڨ��8&#
Old 11-23-2009, 11:33 PM   #10
Olden Days
Living In The Past

I used truck and car shop in the past a lot and it was always clearly stated when checking out that they will call with shipping charges.
Companies are in business to make a profit. They will be out of business pretty quick if they don't charge for shipping and handling. It cost them money to buy boxes packing material and pay someone to package it all. Why shouldn't they charge you for that?
As for Gmc Pauls I have my own issues with them such as charging me sales tax when I am in Cali and they are in some other state, also putting tax on the UPS shipping charge which is not supposed to be taxable . I canceled out the shopping basket when I saw those tax charges and emailed him a question as to why he charges sales tax outside his state. He claimed he had warehouses in cali. I really doubt that he does. I think he just drop ships from companies in cali like a lot of vendors do but don't charge tax. that and the sales tax on the ups charge made all kinds of red flags go up. This was at least a couple of years ago. Dont know what his policies on that are now.

Last edited by Olden Days; 11-23-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:12 AM   #11
ChevyMo

ok, ok this my last, last post again

Concerning truckandcarshop.com
OldenDays is correct, I went back and checked. Six lines below and far left side of page of where you click to submit your CC information. I guess this is clearly stated:
Quote:
You will be contacted regarding shipping amount, tax, etc.
Also under the "About" button on the home page there is a shipping rates map. So, I stand corrected. But I also find this to be a little deceptive because the shopping cart shows a line for a shipping charge at $0 and the receipt in your email also shows shipping at $0. If you failed to read the fine print or faill to find the rate map under the "About" button then you are unaware of the charges to be added, as I was.

Being a software engineer and having designed about 15 different full ecommerce sites, I have never ever seen a method like this for establishing shipping charges. Calling the customer to provide the flat rate charge is completely counter intuitive to ecommerce. If someone wants to talk on the phone to order shipping charges why wouldnt they just place the whole order over the phone? The shopping cart should say "charges to follow" for shipping instead of $0. The rate map should be an exclusive button not under "About". I would not give my credit card for an order that I did not know the exact cost.

As for them making a profit Olden, profit should be in the product not in the packing and shipping. They should not be selling packing and shipping. Maybe the correct method would be to quote prices that cover the overhead.

I dont know about the items you received, but my parts came in a second hand box wrapped in used newspapers. Dont get me wrong here, the parts from truckandcarshop.com were completely satisfactory and the cost was slightly better than average for the whole of the web. My original post was about offering a great price and then blind siding me with a shipping charge. So what appeared to be a great deal turned into an average deal.

Yeah I know sour grapes. But I felt like making a point about somewhat deceptive business practice.

On another note, had I known there was a flat rate for shipping I would of maximized my order based on the shipping rate. So the reality is they lost some on my initial order and lost me as a customer.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:41 AM   #12
GMCPaul

ChevyMo you said that you ordered a tank and window kit from our web site and we tried to double bill you on shipping, well if you look at our tanks on our web site they all clearly say
""This item ships oversized I and has separate shipping charges."" All oversized parts have a fixed shipping cost based on size of box and automatically have shipping charges applied on our checkout page.
Thus any pre-populated shipping charges on our checkout page are caused by adding oversized parts to the order, then you also purchased a window kit which I assume was a 8pc based on your saying we tried to charge you a additional $15.00, well once you add the items to cart then click on checkout a page appears where we ask you to fill in the bill to info, Then directly below this is a section that says
"" SELECT SHIPPING "" with a box to mark for a separate ship to address and
which has a drop down window directly below the box where we ask you to
""Select shipping charges based on non-oversized parts total""
You skipped making this selection when making your order and only paid shipping on the tank.
Why?? . You then went below this and filled in your credit card info. Filled in the info boxes on your truck.
Then hit the submit order button without reading the disclaimer immediately below it which says
""If shipping charges are incorrectly selected, or not selected while ordering, you authorize us by submiting this order for us to automatically bill them with an additional $3.00 processing charge, so please select the appropriate rate from shipping chart above. Shipping rates shown are for continental USA only. We do not ship outside the USA. Free shipping on orders over $500 applicable only in the continental USA(excluding heavy or oversize parts). ""
Well we did not add a additional $3.00 to the shipping we than ran on your card as we have never done that, it was put there in the hopes that the 5-10% of our customers that skip selecting shipping would then go back up and select it before hitting the submit button.

So we simply billed you for the shipping on the window kit which would have been around $15.00, why $15.00 on just a simple window kit
Example off my latest Fed-Ex bill
Shipping to a residence in ILLINOIS 45 miles from our shop a 5 lbs box
charges billed us by Fed-Ex for this
Transportation Charge +$6.81
Performance Pricing - 0.41
fuel Surcharge +0.44
Delivery Area-Resi +2.40
Residential +2.05
Total $11.29

Our shipping is based on order total, this is because in selling these parts its near impossible to get a completely accurate shipping cost with any of the available software because the software we have seen and finally chosen one never seem to take into account that some parts can not ship based on weight alone because the parts dimensions require oversized I or II boxes so pre-fixed flat rate for oversized items, now you have the non-oversized parts that do not fall into the oversized category that Fed-Ex and UPS call bulk heavyweight, these are small items that are extremely heavy such as spindles, springs, rotors etc...., we get charged extra by Fed-Ex and UPS if we ship a extremely heavy part in a small box because they call it Bulk Heavyweight, so fixed flat rate on these based on the average cost to ship, now you've ordered say a oversized part with fixed shipping and a semi-delicate part window felts, rubbers & division bars do we place these parts in with the tank and risk them getting damaged by the tank or do we charge separate for them on shipping and ship them separate to protect them from being damaged by the tank. Separate of course, now you've had a customer place a order for oversized & non-oversized parts, they failed to select shipping, so now you must go and bill shipping separate a extra step for the retailer, modify the invoice to read correctly with the shipping charges now applied another extra step then process and ship, well for some reason you did not get the window kit, I do not know if it was lost in shipping, just missed during the extra process's involved in this order, or perhaps even a portion of it was backordered, you contacted us we checked and either shipped right away because of the mistake ( We are human as are you and WE BOTH MAKE MISTAKES) found that it was lost in 1st shipment or the backordered part just arrived. But we immediately corrected it.
So because you made the mistake of not selecting shipping on our site we're bad? I appoligize for any delay in your reciving the window kit and I would definately advise you to READ the entire checkout page on ANY e-commerce site when placing future orders.
By the way the tank manufacturer even charges us a extra fee if we have a tank drop shipped to a customer rather than shipping to us.
I hope you have a really great holiday season thats filled with Happiness, Health, And Family!!!
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
ChevyMo

So because your shopping cart does not function properly and your system for handling orders is flawed- I screwed it up? Gotcha.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #14
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyMo View Post
So because your shopping cart does not function properly and your system for handling orders is flawed- I screwed it up? Gotcha.
Our shopping cart system does function properly as designed, you purchase a part thats oversized it pre-populates the shipping charges, you order non-oversized parts it requests you to select shipping on them, if you order both types of parts it does a portion of the shipping and you select for the other portion, You just skipped the selecting shipping portion of the order entirely, this portion of the checkout process the shopping cart offered to you but you decided not to, didn't read what we asked, just didn't see it for some reason, or didn't care, it could be all sorts of reasons you didn't. But by not selecting shipping when we ask that you do so does not mean that it does not function properly.
I also did not say you screwed up, I said you skipped over a portion of the checkout process without completing it, approx. 5-10% of first time customers due this I'd guess, and when we ask why most say they didn't even notice it, even though its there in plain sight.

Since I do not know who you are I really can't say anything totally specific on your order and because of this I also do not know what time span was involved in your placing the order, then in inquiring on window kit, and your refusal to pay the non-oversized shipping for the window kit. If you refused to pay shipping on the non-oversized portion of the order they should have actually then canceled the window kit portion of the order and been processing a refund on it that first Friday as we process refunds on Fridays unless something is canceled the day its ordered and then we just void the transaction before that end of day. So your window kit may have been slotted to be refunded since you state you refused the shipping charges for it and when you asked about it the person that pulled up your order may have seen it hadn't shipped, and the tank had then pulled a kit and shipped without knowing you had not paid for shipping on them. I don't know. If you would like me to look into this with all details available send me a email with your name attention to me and I'll look into everything about the order I can then get back to you with more detailed information.
Happy Holidays!!!!
Paul @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

I only asked questions to get insight.I ask questions to be better informed so I can be helpful.

[QUOTE=ChevyM

I've made my last post about this issue. I was attempting to give some insight into "buyer beware" but obviously the "sponsors" have more credence than joe consumer.[/QUOTE]

I passed no judgement and remained objective.Sorry you feel that way.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote