The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
nikwho

'06 Tremec T-56 into '68 GMC C-15 w/ 600HP BBC 427 questions...

Hello all,
So, I've got my fresh 433 cubic inch 427 all built and ready to install in my '68. I don't want to eat my th350, which is going to go into my '59 Apache, anyway. My original plan was to find a close ratio Muncie M22, mostly because I like the sound of the gear whine AND because it's period correct! However, I am intrigued by the Tremec T-56 6 speeds, because it's 50% more gears, which equals 50% more fun, by my math. Also figured that I could get away with lower axle gearing and have more fun in lower gears.

I plan to run the 427 that I have built for a while, with serious interest in finding an LS7 427 in the future. I have found a T56 locally that came out of an '06 Corvette. He replaced the transmission with a unit out of an '05, so he had to swap tail shafts. So, this is an '06 T-56 out of a 'vette with an '05 'vette tailshaft. Has 130K miles on it and due for a rebuild. I notice that the Corvette/GTO/CTSV rebuild kits are more expensive than the Viper/Camaro/Firebird/Cobra rebuild kits, which tells me that they are different. I will begin my thorough research, but don't want to miss out on buying this transmission, if it will work well for my application. It shifts through all the gears, but started making noise. Needs syncros and bearings, but I would plan on a full rebuild. It's being sold at a core price, so I feel okay about using it as a core, if for some reason it can't be rebuilt.

I'm just curious if T-56 experts know of any immediate and bvious rea sons why I wouldnt want to use a Corvette t-56? Like, shifter location, strength, etc? I've heard of having to change out tailshafts to deal with shifter locations, which I assume is why the owner had to swap the '05 tailshaft for the '06. Or perhaps that was just for his driveline length?

Anyhow, if this will work well for my application, I would like to buy it and start sourcing parts and getting it rebuilt and ready to install.

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Nik