The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #26
LS short box

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

I'm a fix right at first and then move on. Can the machine shop check bore diameter and piston diameter to see if they are within spec? Fix it now or pull it back out when there is a problem. That's a real buzz kill.
I would send all the injectors out to get cleaned and flowed.
Yeah a bit cool here today also. About 5 degrees and nice wind out of the northwest at about 20-25 mph.
Again good luck with your project.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:14 AM   #27
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Would you just look at that baby piston. I would just do rings and bearings while it is apart. Doing it now sort of hurts, but doing it after you drive the car for a month will really be a kick in the ding dong.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 02:12 PM   #28
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Ring gap was perfect. Bearings look good. I'm going to run it. Whatever wear there is is insignificant. I understand the comments about doing it now rather than after the car is built and I would agree if I found anything out of spec. Everything on the short block looks great though. I ordered a stone hone just in case and it will come in handy some time. If I'm wrong, oh well. I knew the risks.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 06:40 PM   #29
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

One solid week of actual spring like weather makes a huge difference. More mud than ice now but I'll take it. Too soft on the driveway to get the bikes out of the garage but I was able to move junk around in the shed and pull the mustang out of the back corner and up front where I can work on it. I haven't looked at it in years and was pleasantly surprised to find the gas tank in the back seat and clean inside. One less worry.

The parts came for the head rebuild, will drop them off at the machine shop next week.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2022, 07:55 AM   #30
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

This nice weather sure is needed! Are you selling the LS from the mustang or save it for a future build. Maybe the Jimmy?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 03-22-2022, 04:37 PM   #31
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
This nice weather sure is needed! Are you selling the LS from the mustang or save it for a future build. Maybe the Jimmy?
I already have a complete 5.3 and a 6.0 sitting right behind the mustang. If you want this 5.3 with the TH400 send me an offer and come get it.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:18 PM   #32
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Check out this post from 12 years ago, lol

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=225

Dropped off valves, springs and seals at the machine shop. Should get them back in a week or 2. Just ordered the mid-shift conversion for the transmission and some of the electrical connectors for it (reverse, VSS, etc).

I watched a video on installing the cams and timing chains, so now I'm youtube certified and know everything. I'm just looking forward to being able to do some assembly and not just buying parts.

Pic of a superformance kit with some modifications and an amazing turquoise paint job.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2022, 07:09 AM   #33
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
I already have a complete 5.3 and a 6.0 sitting right behind the mustang. If you want this 5.3 with the TH400 send me an offer and come get it.
Well, sounds like a road trip may need to be in order. I'd love to check out the new digs too.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 03-30-2022, 07:28 PM   #34
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The heads are ready to pick up so I'll get those tomorrow. The mid position shifter was delivered. I worked on the oil pump pick up tube today and luckily it turned out fine. I used a pickup from a sbc, removed the tube and welded that hole shut. Then modified the coyote tube for the right depth of the shallow pan. It took a lot of measuring and removal, trimming and reinstalling to get it right. I thought I had it but then there was some interference with the tube so I had to hammer it flatter in a spot for clearance. I cut off the bracket and reconfigured it to work with the new setup. Overall I'm happy with it and I saved about $100 vs buying one. The pan to pick up clearance is supposed to be .25-.5" and I'm right at .25" without the gasket. Perfect!

Over the next couple weeks I'll be reassembling the engine. I think I need a few more parts yet.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2022, 10:11 AM   #35
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Picked up the reconditioned heads yesterday and didn't waste any time getting them on. I didn't torque them yet because I want to read up on the procedure for reassembly first. I'm just not familiar with this engine enough yet.

The machinist surface them about .006" just to make sure they were straight. I posted a pic of one of the intake valves showing how the face is worn to the point that they couldn't be ground and reused. The land is already gone.

So new valves and new springs from a Boss 302. New intake cams for stock mustang.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2022, 11:19 AM   #36
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice work on the pick up tube and the heads look great.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 04-04-2022, 11:40 PM   #37
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I saw a pic of a cobra without a roll bar and I love it. Hard to believe how much of a difference it makes in the look of the car.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2022, 01:03 AM   #38
mongocanfly
Post Whore

That pic of the one in the art gallery is super sharp..!!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:07 AM   #39
KShortell

Nice! While the side pipes are always testosterone-laced cool, I must admit that a rear undercar exhaust has always struck me as a bit more classy and attractive on Cobras.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:04 PM   #40
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KShortell View Post
Nice! While the side pipes are always testosterone-laced cool, I must admit that a rear undercar exhaust has always struck me as a bit more classy and attractive on Cobras.
Agreed. But from what I have heard these cars are almost impossible to do underneath exhaust. I'm still planning on side pipes.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2022, 04:44 PM   #41
LS short box

A car buddy of mine a number of years ago used to build Cobra kit cars for resale. He said the exhaust will always sound a bit different because as a driver with side pipes you only hear one side of the exhaust.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:50 PM   #42
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Those without the pipes showing look super clean, no more room than there is underneath, I wonder how they ran them..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:52 PM   #43
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
A car buddy of mine a number of years ago used to build Cobra kit cars for resale. He said the exhaust will always sound a bit different because as a driver with side pipes you only hear one side of the exhaust.
We have side pipes on our 75 Monte Carlo. It does sound odd from either side but inside it's more normal. I added a pic of that car as well. Not the best pic but you get the idea. Just another "alternative tinkering".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Those without the pipes showing look super clean, no more room than there is underneath, I wonder how they ran them..
I said "almost impossible". It can be done but on the factory five chassis it hangs below the body. And the muffler is right under your feet or seat so heat might be a problem. I found 2 cars that did it and I'll post pics of one. The other car used an independent rear suspension so he could route the exhaust out back. Can't realistically do that with a live axle. As you can see from the pics you can't really hide the exhaust and it's hanging lower than I would want to deal with on the street.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2022, 08:54 PM   #44
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
That pic of the one in the art gallery is super sharp..!!
I think that one is a rendering. No exhaust showing at all.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:05 PM   #45
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Just another shot of the Monte Carlo. Barn find that sat in a shed since 1990. I bought it with my step son the summer of 2019. It was completely original except for the Kraco AM/FM cassette radio and Sparkomatic 6x9s in the rear deck. Even had the original AM radio in the back seat. 2 barrel 350 with TH350. We replaced the gas tank, lines, tires, shocks and brakes. And exhaust obviously. I used station wagon rear coils to get the tire clearance and silverado shocks for the extra length. Been driving it ever since and the only problem was a broken fan belt. It's a sweet cruiser and it belongs to the boy now.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2022, 10:30 AM   #46
Rickysnickers

You could also run it under the car using oval shaped tubing. It would probably look a little cleaner as well as tuck up under the car a little better.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:43 AM   #47
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Just another shot of the Monte Carlo. Barn find that sat in a shed since 1990. I bought it with my step son the summer of 2019. It was completely original except for the Kraco AM/FM cassette radio and Sparkomatic 6x9s in the rear deck. Even had the original AM radio in the back seat. 2 barrel 350 with TH350. We replaced the gas tank, lines, tires, shocks and brakes. And exhaust obviously. I used station wagon rear coils to get the tire clearance and silverado shocks for the extra length. Been driving it ever since and the only problem was a broken fan belt. It's a sweet cruiser and it belongs to the boy now.
The fan shroud on those things are long!!

Cool car(s)
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:25 PM   #48
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
You could also run it under the car using oval shaped tubing. It would probably look a little cleaner as well as tuck up under the car a little better.
The one pictured is using oval tubing. It's round from the header then transitions to oval under the floor. If he had used a darker flat coating it wouldn't stand out as much as it does.

I like the look of it but I still plan on running the side pipes on mine.

I thought I was going to get the engine back together over the next week or so. The head bolts I ordered were delivered but they only sent a pack of 10, and there were only 8 bolts in the pack. Not even enough to torque down 1 head. So I keep waiting. The clutch fork arrived so I think all I'm missing on the tranny/clutch side is the bellhousing bolts, which I can get locally.

It's supposed to be nice this weekend so maybe I'll start stripping parts off the mustang. Maybe.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:55 AM   #49
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

A pack of 10 more head bolts showed up. Was supposed be 12. I'm still 2 bolts short of a full set. Kinda like a few cards short of a full deck, which is what most would believe anyway when they see the latest pile of crap I drug home.

Meet project Free Candy. This is a future build that will get put into the back corner of the shed until I'm ready.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2022, 01:47 AM   #50
Low Elco

Shoooo, that’s a crusty rocker! Good progress!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote