The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
leather

Lightbulb Truck Running Weird

i am visually impaired. I hope my caps are not misunderstood & hope i am still excepted? Also why i am starting a thread, even thou my issuse may have. Been addressed.
89, chev s-10 3.4l 4x4 long bed with a/c. Rebuilt engine birth certificate

a bit of histpry,
hood latch fixed so hood couldnt be opened.
Former employee rolled down window, got off tract. She had friend fix it.
I asked if he could open hood for me.
Til then my baby btch ran great! I am in wheelchair.
Ever since baby btch ran badly! It was allowed to get too low on gas & figured injectors needed cleaning & after red heat, then a stronger injector cleaner it was just as bad!
I was feeling better & bold so i had the hood opened while being told by caregiver, that she thought it was missing?
I found 3 plug wires loose enough all i had to do was touch 2 wires, the 3rd was she checked said was fine. So she started it with difficulty.
I saw on driver side she did nothing other than pull a wire loose so i sparked of a bolt! I check that side myself & all was back to normal for 2 outings. Drove 10 miles & it wouldnt start, checked plugs & the same wires loose but that did not fix it, checked wires at distributer nothing helped! By stander checked injectors & said they were working.
Had parts store check fuses, needed a few replaced
asked mechanic, he suggested change out the "control valve"
part # ac102 by duralast. I was reading through other postings & saw similar problem. They were talking about a/c. I seldome use mine.
My first thought once i got it towed home, it sounded like a choke not workjng. I never gave her gas when starting & it was suggested to floor it & start it, then i have to keep giving it gas or dies even giving her consistant gas she dies?
Reading on the other thread they called the part

"chevtech called it iac or idle air control valve, also aid to be careful to use a mild cleaner, that harsh cleaner can cause problems." not an exact quote.
I used wd40 to clean out, before replacing the parts box calls it control valve, but i asked for & instruction calls it 'idle control valve'
i dont believe it, i just found a new gasket stuck in the other end of part box! Grrr! If any one has any thoughts i would appreciate it!
I just can not afford a mechanic, they all want $100.00 for using their computers & i just can not afford that & my wheel chair fits my truck better than my caregivers.
Before i put the new gasket i, i would like to know if i really screwed up using the wd40? I used a lot to loosen the crap inside, along with a tightly wrapped mechanics blue paper towl around a q-tip.

Like i said i did not have any trouble before my hood was fixed to open by me only, i pad locked the hood down & my flaps in the tire wall was ripped once i padlocked the hood down & have also blocked the flaps so no one can get into my engine without a key! Thanks, leather lady sam
leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
ChevyTech

Re: 88-98 FAQ's "Is your truck running weird? Check here it could help"

This post should be moved to the S-10 forum.
A moderator will most likely move it.
This area is for instructions on FAQ (Frequently asked Questions) ONLY.

First thing you should do is check for trouble codes. This can be done without a scan tool.
Instructions found here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...5&postcount=11

A bad coolant sensor that the ECM monitors could be causing mixture and idle speed issues.
It can be tested with an ohm meter.
Instruction found at post #7 here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=322811

The ECM will not send commands to the IAC is the TPS (Throttle position sensor) voltage does not read in the idle range. This can be read with a scan tool or a multimeter. The specification is .5 to 1.25 volts with throttle closed.

If the plug wires are coming loose they should be replaced.

CT
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
leather

Re: Truck Running Weird

Is the s-10 fourm tittled s10 s15 blazer....? I saw 2 similar threads.

Im new at this & taking time to navagate the site. Had trouble to find my own posting.
Thanks sam
Old 04-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
ChevyTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by leather View Post
Is the s-10 fourm tittled s10 s15 blazer....? I saw 2 similar threads.

Im new at this & taking time to navagate the site. Had trouble to find my own posting.
Thanks sam
You are now in the S-10, S-15, Luv, blazer II Forum

The moderator moved your post here.

In your post at the top it states you have a 89, chev s-10 3.4l 4x4 long bed with a/c

I believe you meant to type 4.3L instead of 3.4l
Old 04-11-2015, 10:54 PM   #5
leather

[SIZE="6"] Yes chevtech,
i did mean 4.3L I hope that stays an upper case L as I thought I used before, rebuilt engine installed in 08. Auto tranny with overdrive, the steering colum was replaced, but the blinker & wipers were not fixed with that.
Vandalism of my baby b brings me here.
If I am not able to fix her myself, where might I find a reasonable quality shop or
mechanic, beings I read no advertising.

Now that i am in the correct place, i took a photo the day she wouldnt bring me home on her own. The untittled photo. It is a red wire, with a very shiny silver sensor, with nothing close to plug into. I had never seen, what the photo doesnt show is a red wiremaybe an inch to maybe 1.5 inches long. At the firewall before that day.

My windshield washer no longer works & that worked great before. Also before the wipers would come on when i used the blinkers but only if my lights were on & that no longer happens, a mystery

ironically i wondered if it might be the cause of my first thoughts" it sounds like the choke isnt working" i didnt know if unleaded injectors had chokes. I havent heard of anyone having a choke problem since the injectors hit us.

I mentioned this to a buddy & he said he had an s10 & he was told tbi choke curcit was bad. Local shop said he never heard of this & the shop my buddy used is no longer in buisness.

Some info, i had not a problem except for the wipers coming on with the the blinkers, was the only mechanical problems i had. Til a so called caregivers mechanic friend help put my window on track that she rolled the window. I asked if he would fix my hood so i could check vital fluids. Nothing has been the same since. I finally had to fire the caregiver & the vandalism went into full gear.

Im only relaying this info. As i was suggested, could any of this be caused by something in my fuel or oil that should not be in there.

Thanks for reading about mine & baby b's problems, Sam[\SIZE]

Last edited by leather; 04-11-2015 at 11:16 PM. Reason: the upper case L posts as lower case more than once now!
Old 04-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
ChevyTech

The equivalent of a choke is accomplished by the ECM, Coolant sensor, and IAC on your TBI truck.
I supplied a link for testing the coolant sensor because that is the part that usually fails.

I included a link to check for trouble codes because they should be checked if you have any running issue. Checking for codes should be done BEFORE any other testing that could set false codes.

Make sure the vacuum line to the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor is in place and getting vacuum to the sensor.

I would look for damage to the turn signal lever to see if it is bent causing the wipers coming on with the blinkers. If the lever feels excessively loose I would inspect the parts inside to column, if I were working on it.
Quote:
Im only relaying this info. As i was suggested, could any of this be caused by something in my fuel or oil that should not be in there.
I would be looking for something unplugged under the hood.

The board will allow you to post photos which helps me understand exactly what you see when talking about loose wires. If you tried to attach a photo already, I can't see it.

Does this larger font help you or do you have your settings large already making this to big?