The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2023, 11:53 AM   #326
cornerstone

Re: Uncle Loyd's 72' C-10

I got the fenders, doors, hood, bed and tailgate in high build 2k primer this morning. Hope to get the cab sprayed later this afternoon. I used a different cheap HF spray gun this time so I could open up the tip and get more primer out of the gun and on the panel. I've been watching D.I.Y. AUTO SCHOOL with "My friend Pete" on the YouTube. He recommended this particular pressure pot style gun for primers. If you haven't seen his channel check it out. The guy cracks me up, to say he's super rough around the edges would be mild. The gun worked well after I played with it some. Not bad for 24 bucks. Here's where I'm at currently.
Attached Images

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 02:04 PM   #327
hewittca

Heck yes, that's some progress right there! That's bold spraying paint outside in the spring. I'm not sure how it is by you, but over here in NC everything is covered in pollen!
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 02:17 PM   #328
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Thanks man! I've been watching yours come along nicely as well. It's a freekin' butt load of work aint it!
thanks. sure is and I'm barely getting into the hard part, body work!

I've seen that YouTube channel before, I always watch his painting videos. seems like he knows a ton about it

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 06:20 PM   #329
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
Heck yes, that's some progress right there! That's bold spraying paint outside in the spring. I'm not sure how it is by you, but over here in NC everything is covered in pollen!
Yeah, not the best of options spraying outside, but this was only primer which will be block sanded anyways. I did have to thoroughly wipe everything down with wax and grease remover one last time after I mixed the primer. Once I finished cleaning the gun, I looked everything over and found one bug knee deep in the dried paint. I had hopes of getting the cab in primer as well but a heat wave rolled in... 97* this afternoon, and I thought that would have affected the job for the worse. I'll git after it in the morning.

When it comes time for final paint the plan is to use my enclosed garage at the least. I'm also thinking of renting a booth if I can find one.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:51 PM   #330
zicc1835

Quote:
I got the fenders, doors, hood, bed and tailgate in high build 2k primer this morning. Hope to get the cab sprayed later this afternoon. I used a different cheap HF spray gun this time so I could open up the tip and get more primer out of the gun and on the panel. I've been watching D.I.Y. AUTO SCHOOL with "My friend Pete" on the YouTube. He recommended this particular pressure pot style gun for primers. If you haven't seen his channel check it out. The guy cracks me up, to say he's super rough around the edges would be mild. The gun worked well after I played with it some. Not bad for 24 bucks. Here's where I'm at currently.
looking real good nice work....
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:13 AM   #331
Stickman

Very nice work.
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 11:12 PM   #332
cornerstone

I've been off of the truck project for about a week taking care of other crap. Responsibilities are overrated. Anyways, this morning I was able to get the cab prepped and masked off for a couple coats of high build urethane primer. First I shot any remaining bare metal spots with a final coat (hopefully) of epoxy primer, then laid down 50 ounces of high build. Since I've already bought all the paint I know I probably won't go through with this thought, but I think the truck would look cool with a low sheen, almost suede look textured paint. Kind of how the tinted Raptor Liner looks on this Dodge truck. Has anyone seen one of our trucks done this way? I'd want to have the 2 tone with all the trim as well. It would sure hide any boo-boos in the body work and be unique. I can only imagine what a pain in the a$$ it would be if I ever wanted to take it off. I do like a patina look as well, so if my paint work turns out lousy maybe that'd be an option instead of stripping it back to metal. I nabbed these images from the web.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2023, 08:16 AM   #333
hewittca

I am all for patina and semigloss or even a matte finish, but I would hesitate to add any texture to the paint. I do like a color matched liner in the bed, but I don't know that I'd like it on the rest of the truck. Of course, that is not to say it wouldn't look good if done right. And I get what you are saying, it would bother me to have done that much work on the paint/body and still have little imperfections that stood out to me in an otherwise shiny paint job. That's why all 4 of my previous projects have been left OG paint On my previous truck I had to paint the bedsides and fake the patina. I tried to match the original primer color and use single stage color like factory, and then lightly sand in the normal wear areas to match the level of fade on the rest of the truck. I finished it off with some 000 steel wool for a semi-matte finish.
-
Old 05-19-2023, 05:03 PM   #334
SCOTI

Quote:
I am all for patina and semigloss or even a matte finish, but I would hesitate to add any texture to the paint. I do like a color matched liner in the bed, but I don't know that I'd like it on the rest of the truck. Of course, that is not to say it wouldn't look good if done right. And I get what you are saying, it would bother me to have done that much work on the paint/body and still have little imperfections that stood out to me in an otherwise shiny paint job. That's why all 4 of my previous projects have been left OG paint On my previous truck I had to paint the bedsides and fake the patina. I tried to match the original primer color and use single stage color like factory, and then lightly sand in the normal wear areas to match the level of fade on the rest of the truck. I finished it off with some 000 steel wool for a semi-matte finish.
Absolutely agree 100%. No texture in the paint on the outer body panels....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 09:28 AM   #335
cornerstone

Yeah, that was just another random fleeting thought. I'm not gonna do this much sanding and then cover up all that work. I just have to make sure and follow the directions and follow the best practices I've read about and it'll look good'nuf for me.

I want to get more opinions on some paint and body questions.
My truck has been taken down to clean metal or original sanded paint then epoxy coated in 2 different colors. (Black and white)
Then I did filler work after hammer and dolling any dents I could access.
After sanding the filler down I sprayed Summit Racing 2K urethane primer (gray) This is where I am now. I'm all out of the gray 2K urethane primer, but I do have a gallon of this Feather Fill G2 Polyester primer in "buff" color, also a high buildable primer. The Technical Data Sheet for the Feather Fill G2 says it's ok to apply over urethane primers.

I'm not sure why I though it was a good idea to pick so many different colors, and I don't believe it will make a difference in the paint job. I'm thinking as long as I use a good sealer before I spray the final blue single stage paint, it ought to cover either the gray or the buff just the same. Does this sound right?

My question is this. Would you buy another can of the gray urethane primer and finish the bodywork in the same color and material; or would you use what you already have on hand even though your project is gonna look like a wild hyena, with grays and tans all over the thing.

Here are some pics to ponder.
Attached Images

Last edited by cornerstone; 05-26-2023 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 05-26-2023, 09:36 AM   #336
clay68c10

As long as those different products are chemically compatible, why not. Supplies are expensive.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 10:30 AM   #337
hewittca

Yeah, I would be most worried about chemical compatibility. If that checks out, then I think it will be fine. These trucks were painted originally with black primered fenders and red oxide cabs, so I think the color uniformity will be fine with your primer colors.
-
Old 05-26-2023, 11:14 AM   #338
MDPotter

It's generally not best practice to spray polyester over 2K urethane. Typically polyester is sprayed over epoxy or filler, then you sand it, maybe reapply and sand again depending on how it blocks out and then you apply 2K. 2K doesn't build nearly as thick and is meant for "fine grading". I used a spray polyester once and wasn't a fan - it's like spraying bondo so you have to mix it quick, spray it quick, and clean the gun quick. Much more flexibility with 2K or even epoxy. 2K dries quicker but isn't always recommended over bare steel (depends on the manuf) whereas epoxy can be sprayed over anything but takes longer to dry.

In the end, just read the TDS for the products you're using but I would be leery of polyester over 2K. It's like applying filler over 2K - you're supposed to be done with filler work by the time you get to 2K to do the "fine grading".
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 05:05 PM   #339
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay68c10 View Post
As long as those different products are chemically compatible, why not.
Quote:
Yeah, I would be most worried about chemical compatibility. If that checks out, then I think it will be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPotter View Post
It's generally not best practice to spray polyester over 2K urethane.
In the end, just read the TDS for the products you're using but I would be leery of polyester over 2K.
Thank you guys for your thoughts. I went back and re-read the TDS and apparently I assumed the 2K would be an acceptable substrate based on the other things listed as acceptable. On the list are fiberglass, SMC(?), rigid plastics, body filler or putty, epoxy primer, and etch primer. 2K isn't actually listed, but "pre painted surfaces" are on there... I guess that's why I made that assumption. Anyways, I'm glad I asked.

I've seen the nice paint work you fellas have done before which proves you know what you're talking about. I've ordered another gallon of urethane 2k to continue on. My son has a Toyota Tundra he intends to paint in the relatively near future so I'll save the Feather Fill G2 for that truck's body work repairs.

Old 06-21-2023, 11:36 AM   #340
cornerstone

Nothing real big going on here, but thought I'd show these sweet caps on white steelies. I pulled the 20" Coys off and put them up for a while. Thanks again to Kingsolver72, your generosity is remarkable man. I picked up a can of Krylon true blue in order to paint the bowties in the center. I'm trying to find projects that I can work on in the house since the heat and humidity are unbearable here lately. We had a heat index of 118* a couple days ago and they say the next week or so will be similar temps.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2023, 12:46 PM   #341
hewittca

Oh man, I like the look of that wheel! Is this a direction change in the overall look of your truck or just for fun?
-
Old 06-21-2023, 03:00 PM   #342
cornerstone

I've always planned on having the 2 different sets. I love both styles.

Old 06-22-2023, 08:37 PM   #343
zicc1835

Quote:
Nothing real big going on here, but thought I'd show these sweet caps on white steelies. I pulled the 20" Coys off and put them up for a while. Thanks again to Kingsolver72, your generosity is remarkable man. I picked up a can of Krylon true blue in order to paint the bowties in the center. I'm trying to find projects that I can work on in the house since the heat and humidity are unbearable here lately. We had a heat index of 118* a couple days ago and they say the next week or so will be similar temps.
that's a great look.........stay hydrated, its been cooler than normal here in the East
Old 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM   #344
cornerstone

Just touching base here. It seems I can only stay focused on any particular project for a maximum of 6 months. I haven't touched anything on the C10 in a long time so with any luck I'll come back around to it soon. Lately I've been eat up with flying again. I bought a Quicksilver ultralight back in November. The closest airport is privately owned and has a waiting list for hangar space, so I fully committed to it and built a hangar to keep it in. I took out my MX track (I hardly ride anymore) in order to have an airstrip at the house.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2024, 08:25 PM   #345
zicc1835

Love the look of the ls in the frame
Old 02-26-2024, 11:04 AM   #346
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

cornerstone, really liking the build especially the modern drivetrain.... I read thru the build & couldn't help but notice that you have the same issues alot of us have...... "I took out my MX track (I hardly ride anymore) in order to have an airstrip at the house LOL!! that is too funny when taken out of context...keep up the nice work on the build!
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 01:05 PM   #347
hewittca

Good to see you check in even if you haven't worked on the truck in a while. My motivation comes and goes in phases as well. I look forward to seeing updates when you get back to it!
-