The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
rockyrivermark

sbc 350 cam and heads suggestion

1970 C 10
original 350 engine 3970010 block casting.
First year with truck, restoration complete with some engine work that I did.
work done was:
HEI dist.
edelbrock 2701 performer intake
edelbrock 600cfm 1406 carb (electric choke)

having a blast with the truck and it's pretty dam quick already but want more!
previous owner took the heads from this truck on another project and installed junk 624 smog heads off a 1978 sbc.

so looking to replace the heads with a decent aftermarket cast iron set to increase performance.
at this point I might as well install a new cam.
any suggestions from those who have done this on which heads and cam would get me a mild cam idle and good match to what heads?
nothing radically expensive.
thanks!
Mark
Attached Images

http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
Coley

Smile Re: sbc 350 cam and heads suggestion

....get ready for a barrage of opinions.
Mostly tho', you will probably be looking at putting some vortec heads on but you will need a different intake and may need to change some of your accessory mount brackets.
Others can weigh in on what that takes.....

As for the cam....there are boatloads of choices, depending on what you personally want to accomplish and how you generally drive your truck.
Most want the 'whumpity whumpity' style....

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
rockyrivermark

[QUOTE=Coley;8053780]....get ready for a barrage of opinions.
Mostly tho', you will probably be looking at putting some vortec heads on but you will need a different intake and may need to change some of your accessory mount brackets.
Others can weigh in on what that takes.....

As for the cam....there are boatloads of choices, depending on what you personally want to accomplish and how you generally drive your truck.
Most want the 'whumpity whumpity' style....

Just street driving. Nothing too crazy.
Don't want to got the vortec route. I just bought intake and covers I like
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
Coley

Re: sbc 350 cam and heads suggestion

If you are going to 'stick' with old school iron heads then you might luck out and find a set of either '041' heads or '186' heads.
These are original late 60's to 1970 series sbc heads and are very well suited for these truck engines because they have the needed accessory mount holes....but provide higher compression (64cc chamber) and still have the other needed attributes.
They are good heads, definitely better than 624' or 882' heads.......although not as good as new tech heads.
(note: these heads were found on the 300hp/350's of the 1969 and 1970 typical of camaro's, caprice, chevelle's, etc....for general reference sake....they were definitely not on the truck engines tho', which used a lower compression head with a 76cc chamber).
They will flow well and they will kick up your power....but again, the newest heads will outperform them but it all comes down to what you are expecting and what you need vs what you want......and of course,....what you are willing to spend to get there.

However,....you will have to look around for a good set and if you are very, very lucky you will find a good set for a few hundred bucks somewhere that you can 'bolt and go'.
If you do find a set, perhaps on an older caprice?....in good shape...then try to stick with 1.94 valves which will give you better torque characteristics than the 2.02 ones....noting that both valve sizes were available in those heads)
However, if you get into a set that requires work and renewal....you will be pushing $800 and might be better off just buying a brand new set somewhere.

my two bits.
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 10-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
If you are going to 'stick' with old school iron heads then you might luck out and find a set of either '041' heads or '186' heads.
These are original late 60's to 1970 series sbc heads and are very well suited for these truck engines because they have the needed accessory mount holes....but provide higher compression (64cc chamber) and still have the other needed attributes.
They are good heads, definitely better than 624' or 882' heads.......although not as good as new tech heads.
(note: these heads were found on the 300hp/350's of the 1969 and 1970 typical of camaro's, caprice, chevelle's, etc....for general reference sake....they were definitely not on the truck engines tho', which used a lower compression head with a 76cc chamber).
They will flow well and they will kick up your power....but again, the newest heads will outperform them but it all comes down to what you are expecting and what you need vs what you want......and of course,....what you are willing to spend to get there.

However,....you will have to look around for a good set and if you are very, very lucky you will find a good set for a few hundred bucks somewhere that you can 'bolt and go'.
If you do find a set, perhaps on an older caprice?....in good shape...then try to stick with 1.94 valves which will give you better torque characteristics than the 2.02 ones....noting that both valve sizes were available in those heads)
However, if you get into a set that requires work and renewal....you will be pushing $800 and might be better off just buying a brand new set somewhere.

my two bits.
Coley
no I'm looking to get aftermarket iron heads.
possibly these?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-152123
http://www.cbcabinets.com
Old 10-04-2017, 03:08 PM   #6
Coley

its a good deal, probably made in China at that price....but personally I would use 1.94" intake valves to get better low end torque which is what a heavy vehicle like a truck needs.

just my two bits tho'....

Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 10-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #7
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
its a good deal, probably made in China at that price....but personally I would use 1.94" intake valves to get better low end torque which is what a heavy vehicle like a truck needs.

just my two bits tho'....

Coley
The reviews say they are Dart heads stamped on them made for summit. Thanks for the info. Intake size etc. that's the info I was looking to get. Things along that line. Chamber size etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #8
MudBug

Dart Makes good Heads with both intake bolt patterns. I have a set of Dart Vortec style heads that works great.
MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #9
halfstep

I have a set of very nice Edelbrock Performer RPM heads in the general classified section. These would be very good for your application unless you are set on cast iron. 185cc runners, 64cc chambers. Would work well with what you have. Solid, reliable, 100% USA made.
Attached Images

halfstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #10
custom10nut

If you're looking for new, both Summit and Jeg's have Cast Iron 2.02/1.60 64cc heads for a lot less than aluminum. They would be a huge improvement over what you're running now.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #11
AussieinNC

Just my 2 cents worth here...

Grab yourself a 350 Vortec roller crate engine...

You end up with better heads, roller cam and lifters, one piece rear main oil seal and best of all...the thing will sit you back in the seat!

Will need new intake manifold and make sure you get correct water pump...

Yes you could put a roller cam and lifter set in the original 350...and install Vortec style heads...suggest you do the math...I think you will be surprised...

Have fun...
AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote