The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
72Blazerod

She's Back!!!

After five and a half long years, I took my 72 Blazer out for a drive today!!! It's the first time she has steamed under her own power since Feb. 2002. It felt great! After driving my 1997 Tahoe for the past five years, I forgot just how truck-like the Blazer is! She even passed emissions testing. I do have a couple of gremlins to work out:

-the headlights went out when I pressed the high-beams. I had to click the high beams many times again to get the headlights to come back on. Any ideas?

-my fuel gauge has gone way past the "F" of Full. It doesnt appear to be working. It did work 5 years ago, could it have something to do with me removing the gas tank. I hooked the wire from the top of the tank to a solid ground. Any ideas?

- when I fill the tank full, it leaks from the top and drips like the Dickens all over the ground until it get to about 3/4 of a tank. I am sure I tightened the clamps on the fuel lines. Could it be leaking from the hole where the sending unit comes from?

Thanks for your help! It sure feels good to drive the truck that my wife and I dated in!!!

Rod
2006 GMC 2500 Duramax Crew Cab (Sold)
1972 Blazer 4x4 (Sold)
72Blazerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:20 AM   #2
old man jimmy

Re: She's Back!!!

Don't know about your tank problem. Although my gauge goes way past full when full, but works. Can go 100 miles before it gets down to the full line. Then look out. But pretty sure your light problem is the dimmer switch itself. Mine has gone bad twice through the years. Very easy to replace. Makes you glad it's not on the turn signal arm like the newer ones. Glad you are up and running again. I haven't really used mine for about 8 or 9 years now. Like you said. They are trucks, one of the last. And they drive & ride like trucks. Guess I'm getting old & soft. Have fun with it.
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Congrats on getting to drive your K5 again! I'm guessing you have a short in the fuel tank sender wires. That will peg the fuel gauge.

You could easily be leaking some fuel from the sending unit but more likely that you have some pin hole leaks in the tank. The tanks drop out pretty easy so get it low in gas and drop it down for a good inspection.

Also agree on replacing your dimmer switch. I also have replaced both of my truck's blinker flashers at the fuse box - made both of my truck's blinkers work stronger and quicker.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
72Blazerod

So you think the headlight problem is with the light switch up at the dash? I thought it may have something to do with the highbeam switch on the floor. I did get them working for now, so I just won't click my highbeams on, then when I take her off the road for winter, I'll look at replacing the switch then. Thanks for your kind words.

Rod
2006 GMC 2500 Duramax Crew Cab (Sold)
1972 Blazer 4x4 (Sold)
72Blazerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
sandking
.....I am working on it.....

The headlight problem is in the high/low beam switch on the floor. Replace that and you will be good. Mine is the same way.

My fuel gauge is also way past full, but it is not hooked up to the sender. Check your connection there.
View my build thread HERE
sandking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #6
Gillnetter

Go down to Lordco they keep those high beam switches in stock.I replaced mine last fall it's an easy fix.
1970 SWB 4x4 4 speed 307
Gillnetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:39 AM   #7
old man jimmy

Don't know where you picked up on the light swithch on the dash. But It is the one on the floor. Not light switch, but dimmer switch. And I would replace it soon. It's only two screws, and cost very little. When mine went out once. I was driving in the country, and dimmed for oncoming car, and lights all went out completely. Very scarry. After kicking the switch 6 or 8 times I had lights again. So It's nothing you want to live with. Sorry if I sound stern about this. But your life is worth more than that switch will cost.

Last edited by old man jimmy; 09-02-2007 at 04:00 AM.
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote