The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2015, 10:09 PM   #51
pdawg

Re: Waking up the ZZ

I don't have a tach but I would say it was up around 1800 rpm, maybe higher - and wouldn't kick down at all. I will check the timing & post those readings as soon as we get some decent weather back again. It's turned to crap again !
pdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #52
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

pdawg, if you think air leak in the booster, unhook it from the engine & plug the leak....( please do not drive it this way)! If she idles down, you found the leak? if not, I would look at the fast idle cam on the carb.....maybe the choke don't open all they way when warm....or the fast idle is too high? Keep us posted....Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #53
pdawg

Hey Longhorn, I actually just bought a new booster as I am fairly confident that it is the issue. I've replaced everything else on the brakes - including a front caliper upgrade to Willwoods. I can't see that it could be anything else. The only sucky part is the replacement Cardone booster is not cadium plated like the original was. Not a big deal though - it's not a show truck! It just makes sense that the booster would be bad because of the hard braking & apparent vacuum leak. I checked the fast idle & it wasn't hung up on that, but thanks for the tip. Can you change a booster on that truck without removing the master (to avoid having to bleed the brakes again!)?
Old 03-24-2015, 12:29 AM   #54
crazy longhorn

Yes, just pull the master from the booster, but leave the lines hooked up. You can lay it out of the way & proceed with the booster replacement (no need to bleed brakes again). It sounds like you have it on the run Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 03-24-2015, 02:08 PM   #55
pdawg

Thanks for the feedback Longhorn! I don't know if I'd say I have it on the run, but I'm trying ! Just need our spring weather to come back so I can carry on with it. I'll keep you posted on the results. Thanks again for your insight!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #56
pdawg

Hey Longhorn. I though I'd give yo an update. I put the new brake booster in & that seemed to have cured my revving problem when you park her after going for a romp. That - and my brakes work a ton better. I also gave it a bit more advance ( just guessed 3-4 degrees ) & she really seemed to like that. I've got to clean some rust off the harmonic balancer ( thanks to outdoor winter storage ) & get an exact read on how much advance I have, so I can see if she will take a little more & still be happy. Thanks so much for your input!
On another note - I'm looking at purchasing a TCI Street Fighter 700R4 ( comments ? ).
Wondering your thoughts on how much stall to go for in a torque converter. Just going to be on the streets as the dummies closed our only drag strip close to town. Not looking for anything crazy but some improvement over stock. Thanks again !
Old 03-31-2015, 10:17 PM   #57
crazy longhorn

Good to see you going the right direction! On the trans....we opted to a local builder, with a big reputation? The man promised that he would back that trans, on the strip for the 1st yr....we have ran it 2 yrs, no problems. TCI , has a good name....but I will bet that Cable will back me on this? Talk with the local racers, & ask who builds their auto trans? Purchase it local, from the best builder Longhorn