The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
old51sedan

Steering column brackets

I posted a few days ago about having a problem with the steering column, after having the column loose and tipped down to install my dash bezel. It seemed like the dash had moved forward and the brackets would no longer line up. I understand this is a given almost anytime the column is lowered. I'm going to post a couple of pictures of what I did, it worked good for me and hopefully may help someone else.
I simply got an old bumper jack, removed the base, put a block of wood on the floor, ratched it up to the lower part of dash pushed it out easily, slide a bolt in through both brackets, went to the other side of the column and did the same thing. It was a walk in the park and didn't have to worry about scratching the new paint. I hope the pictures show it well.
Attached Images

old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #2
SIXTY9

Re: Steering column brackets

Looks like a good tip. Quick and simple.
SIXTY9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Good work! On your earlier thread I didn't realize that the holes in your dash were pushed towards the firewall. The holes on mine are biased towards each other so to get mine to line up I have to spread them apart. I hope I didn't steer you wrong.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:15 AM   #4
old51sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Good work! On your earlier thread I didn't realize that the holes in your dash were pushed towards the firewall. The holes on mine are biased towards each other so to get mine to line up I have to spread them apart. I hope I didn't steer you wrong.
Mine actually looked like the dash was pushed in towards the firewall. The more I looked at it I thought about the truck jack, then thinking it was to short thought of an old bumper jack. They are getting a little hard to come by, but just happened to have one. I worked great, not worry about scratching anything. I just hope this helps someone in the future.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
maynardogle

OK...The whole steering column is under tension from the spring that pushes against the lower steering column bearing under the master cylinder. That spring is constantly trying to push the steering column outer tube towards the driver.
maynardogle is offline   Reply With Quote