The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2015, 12:52 AM   #1
Mapearso

eBay Cheyenne Super -- Another Fake SPID

nice truck
no affiliation

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C-...US_Cars_Trucks
Mapearso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:52 AM   #2
leddzepp

Re: eBay Cheyenne Super -- Another Fake SPID

Beautiful truck. Chipflyer could make a perfect SPID for it, problem solved there. I would want to see the vin plate to verify it hasnt been altered and has the correct rivets for legal purposes. Obviously a large purchase like this would require me to see it personally. The Cheyenne and super badges look correctly positioned in the picture.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

There are fake SPIDs and there are new or replaced SPIDs. Fake would be one that makes the truck appear to be what it was not originally. A new or replaced one will be just that. Something you need to do when you pint the glovebox door. Does recovering a seat make it fake? Fake is in the intent of the seller

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I still say these restoration guys should pull the original glovebox door and save it for documentation.
Paint up a second door with a new "chipflyer" SPID, for the restored truck.
That would solve alot of issues, unless you are trying to decieve someone.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #5
67swb72klb

Nice nut and bolt restoration
Old 03-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
I still say these restoration guys should pull the original glovebox door and save it for documentation.
Agreed 100%
Nice truck but why put repop side marker lights on such a nice restoration and one of the options is listed as Leather. A little more education on the sellers part wouldn't hurt.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #7
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I like the truck because i really love the orange/white combo and the fact its a Super> To me its a write the cheque and enjoy yourself truck.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
sboris

Sure is nice. I for one would not recognize the discrepancys in the spid. For instance: which one is the leather option, or how do you tell the reflecters are aftermarket? You guys sure have a "Reenokeen" eye!
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #9
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboris View Post
Sure is nice. I for one would not recognize the discrepancys in the spid. For instance: which one is the leather option, or how do you tell the reflecters are aftermarket? You guys sure have a "Reenokeen" eye!
You can zoom in on the marker lite pic the seller posted, OEM markers have 'Guide' in raised letters cast into them, repops have no script (and are junk). If you scroll down on the add you'll see the seller listed "Leather" as one of the options.
The SPID itself has the wrong font, not a good reproduction.
The reason I pointed out the cheap marker lites is if they scrimped on that what other cheap parts did they use. If I was considering spending big money on this one I would go over it with a fine tooth comb before making an offer.
Just my opinion.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #10
TheCougarine

Thats a really great looking truck but I have to agree that once you're talking over 30k you really have to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Custom builds are one thing but with a truck intended to be presented as a restored stock truck at that price it should be held to a pretty high standard as far as repop parts and what the truck was born as. Of course people throw around the word "restored" like crazy now and that becomes a problem in some cases. Also I've noticed theres seems to be a lot of people in our community compared with a lot of other vintage vehicles that seem to maintain that originality doesn't affect value. To me it would seem that given the same condition a factory BB SWB truck would be worth more than a straight 6 LWB thats been cut down and had the engines swapped but many don't seem to feel that way.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #11
sboris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
You can zoom in on the marker lite pic the seller posted, OEM markers have 'Guide' in raised letters cast into them, repops have no script (and are junk). If you scroll down on the add you'll see the seller listed "Leather" as one of the options.
The SPID itself has the wrong font, not a good reproduction.
The reason I pointed out the cheap marker lites is if they scrimped on that what other cheap parts did they use. If I was considering spending big money on this one I would go over it with a fine tooth comb before making an offer.
Just my opinion.

I gotcha, and agree. That would have slipped by me though. Good eye.
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #12
leddzepp

The truck was obviously built to sell, not keep. I wouldn't expect to find every single part used to be NOS, I'm sure a lot of repro parts were used to keep the cost down and maximize the profit. Anybody looking at a truck built with the intent to sell should keep this in mind. At the end of the day it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it regardless of what was used.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 03-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
That's exactly what I always did/will do. I found out about blank SPIDs and how to remake good ones while voicing concern about keeping the SPID and glovebox door original while doing a nut and bolt restoration

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:27 AM   #14
Mapearso

Here is my question to the eBay seller --

That SPID is a fake. The font isn't even close. Do you have a build sheet or anything to prove this is a real Cheyenne Super Shortbed??

Here is the eBay seller's response --

Why would I even respond to your question after your comment. If it's a fake, the bidding Is over 30K and rising. And 2 of the bidders are top line Chevy Collectors. One has already came and looked at the truck. The plate I posted is correct to the truck just like everything else. If you have questions about it, I would suggest coming to look at it in person. That should clear up any negative thoughts about the truck. The truck is being stored in a building between our Ford and Dodge Stores. Our New Chevrolet building isn't complete yet, so you are more than welcome to come take a look. It is the owner's truck and it is quite incredible!!!!

- woodyfolsomautomotive
Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 AM   #15
Spartan

Nice truck.

Price...If was going to write a check for 30K+ I know of a 67 firebird convertable in better condition with extensive records for the same price...then again I prefer to restore a vehicle myself so I know no shortcuts were taken and I play with toys as a hobby not investment purposes. To me its not what I want/can buy but turning the wrench and building satisfaction from a project well done so I might be mistaken because of person bias.

It is also my opinion that at that price things such as reflectors/signal lenses should say guide (i.e. GUIDE 68). Some repop parts are not terrible. NOS is nice but sometimes a restored original part can be nicer/better. Also some stuff being called NOS is loosely interpreted.

My question for this truck would be the seat covers. I am new to these trucks so I am making an assumption but the seat covers look off to me. From what I have seen and concluded is two scroll stripes but located more inboard...that being said I dont pay much attention to 71-72 trucks either.

...still a nice truck I would be proud to drive but out not seeing it in person I wouldn't be able to say for sure and not at over 30K unless I knew the guy restoring the vehicle and its complete history.

In any event the saying "buyer beware" didnt come into use because sellers are required to be truthful.

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #16
ArkGL01

Reserve is 50k! lol I ask if the frame was cut and if it was ever a long bed and he didn't know. Its a nice truck but I would want to know some things.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #17
Coley

Smile Re: eBay Cheyenne Super -- Another Fake SPID

That's a really nice truck and it appears it was a quality build.
For a buyer looking for a 'ready/set/go' vehicle....and with no cost/budget issues its a nice one to bid on.
I would never go $50k on any of these trucks, I don't think they (99%) of them would be worth it.
Its certainly not original 'from the factory' at all. The options were collected and installed and then the spid was created to suit the final product.
Now, does the spid accuracy and originality really matter? to some..maybe, to others maybe not?
Most people would never know the difference.
Again, a very nice truck.
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #18
Mapearso

I think selling it as a shortbed Cheyenne Super when it may not be is sketchy at a minimum and just plain wrong if the seller knows it is a clone
Old 03-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #19
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapearso View Post
Here is my question to the eBay seller --

That SPID is a fake. The font isn't even close. Do you have a build sheet or anything to prove this is a real Cheyenne Super Shortbed??

Here is the eBay seller's response --

Why would I even respond to your question after your comment. If it's a fake, the bidding Is over 30K and rising. And 2 of the bidders are top line Chevy Collectors. One has already came and looked at the truck. The plate I posted is correct to the truck just like everything else. If you have questions about it, I would suggest coming to look at it in person. That should clear up any negative thoughts about the truck. The truck is being stored in a building between our Ford and Dodge Stores. Our New Chevrolet building isn't complete yet, so you are more than welcome to come take a look. It is the owner's truck and it is quite incredible!!!!

- woodyfolsomautomotive
Wow! I can't believe the seller responded in this manner. He obviously either doesn't know the SPID is a fake or is misrepresenting the truck. It's a beautiful restoration but I suspect some shill bidding is going on.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #20
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
If you actually believe a legitimate restorer would sell his vehicle on e-bay I have some beautiful Oceanfront property you might be interested in. It's in Kansas.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #21
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Wow! I can't believe the seller responded in this manner. He obviously either doesn't know the SPID is a fake or is misrepresenting the truck. It's a beautiful restoration but I suspect some shill bidding is going on.
I would guess a salesman from the dealership that deals with internet sales is responding to the inquiries from EBay. He/she probably doesn't know a lot about the truck or the details of it their response indicates that to me. Like who cares if the owner has 20 dealerships and is building a new building.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #22
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I would guess a salesman from the dealership that deals with internet sales is responding to the inquiries from EBay. He/she probably doesn't know a lot about the truck or the details of it their response indicates that to me. Like who cares if the owner has 20 dealerships and is building a new building.
I agree. I'm also surprised the "seller" responded so kindly. If I had received an email like that my response would not be very nice

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 03-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #23
DANTIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Beautiful truck. Chipflyer could make a perfect SPID for it, problem solved there. I would want to see the vin plate to verify it hasnt been altered and has the correct rivets for legal purposes. Obviously a large purchase like this would require me to see it personally. The Cheyenne and super badges look correctly positioned in the picture.
I couldn't help myself, I had to raise this again. Real (US-built) 1/2-ton 402-powered trucks in '72 must have the gross weight like the photo above. Notice the gross vehicle weight and front-end vehicle must be the same. This is due to a requirement in '72 for the 402-powered 1/2 ton trucks to have HD front and rear springs. The rear end gross weight must either be 3,220 or 3,500 depending on tire size.

Therefore to be a real SWB 402, the VIN tag must be correct, the dual-exhaust brackets must be properly riveted to the frame (the passenger side rear may either be bolted or riveted but the other dual brackets are riveted), the frame must have a partial VIN that matches the VIN tag the cab must have the high floor-hump, the heat shield must be fastened to the cab to protect the cab from the passenger-side exhaust manifold/pipe, and the frame has to be un-cut. It's my experience that MOST SWB big block trucks are not original. I'd be willing to bet this one is not authentic. Any takers?
Attached Images

Last edited by DANTIP; 03-03-2015 at 04:06 PM.
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #24
mcbassin
Still Learning

Here is the picture from the ebay ad:
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #25
DANTIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Here is the picture from the ebay ad:
Just as suspected!! That is 100% a small-block truck!!
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote