The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2002, 01:33 AM   #1
72stik

Post sblb exhausts

newby here. many very informed members I see.
Found a 72. lb flts w/350, 4sp, needs exhaust.Original had one muffler. I wish to keep it stock,weekend driver,but parts are NA for some of the system. Everyone says go to meinake, but I feel uncomfortable with that. Got any ideas? Liked the 700 chats.
Old 05-22-2002, 07:23 AM   #2
LILREDGMC

There's a variety out there. Check with local pipe shops, name brands and not, tell them what you want and ask for a price. My local independent wants $200 for manifold back duals, mufflers, etc exiting at stock locations. I bought a Whitney system, years ago for my short bed. With a discount deal I spent about $70, had to add turbos about 15 each. It was someone elses package, Cyclone, or ? and the first warning was it would not fit a short bed. I laid out the system, and took a section out of a straight pipe and it was almost perfect. Took the right tailpipe to a local shop and had the pipe bent an extra 8 - 10 degrees for proper exit location. It was a 2.25 inch system and its still on the GMC. Been thru two sets of mufflers, and the pipes are nearing there "expected life". The pipe shop will get to hang the system on the Longhorn BBC. I have found no other sources, and don't plan on using headers in the near future. Hope it helps. Whitney still shows the systems, but the price is up a bit.
LILREDGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 09:17 AM   #3
mrein3

I bought the dual exhaust "kit" from LMC for my 4x4 last December. It bolts to the existing (factory) manifolds. I have been very pleased. YMMV.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 08:39 PM   #4
72stik

Pleased to meet you, LILREDGMC and mrein3.
I guess exhausts are not popular, where headers, and lakers are. I love reading the topics and the responses. How about those 700 dollar doors! I wouls buy them if I had the money, and lived near Minn. The fellas with the 700r4 tranies have their hands full, I parked a nice 86 4X because the trany started acting wierd, the 72 stick has so much more class than the 86, but come winter I might just want that plow truck on the road.
About the exhausts, Would you favor duals over a single mufler? if so why?
Best of luck this Memorial day. Be carefull a lot of us crazy people are going to be on the road. Extra police this year on spotchecks too. Good Driving. Dave
Old 05-22-2002, 08:47 PM   #5
Tim Christian

Smile

A Big Tennessee Howdy-Do!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
67 GMC Stepside(UNDER CONSTRUCTION)
67 GMC Custom
67 Chevy C-30

Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 09:09 PM   #6
mrein3

Before I bought I priced exhaust jobs around town. LMC, who is known for their higher prices, was cheaper than local places who bend their own. Years ago I promised myself I'd never do another self exhaust job on the ground but with the 4x4 it wasn't like I was straining my neck under a car on jack stands. I just rolled under there and did the work. The best part about the LMC kit is that it was complete...
I didn't have to be nice about removing the old. If it was easier to cut the old stuff I just simply cut it.

The dual kit was cheaper then anybody else's single or dual exhaust. And for performance there is no better place to start than to let that V8 breath better. If I get that 2bbl carb replaced with a 4bbl my truck will really come to life.

As far as the upcoming weekend goes Ug. Bass opener is usually the busiest day of the year
on my lake. On that day the bass fishermen are out there. The walleyes are still biting, and the panfish are still going strong so all those guys are still out
there. Being that the opener is on
Memorial weekend; YIKES!

The boat will be on the lift and I'll be
cutting the lawn by 9am.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 10:03 PM   #7
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I paid $250 for a local muffler shop with a good reputaiton to do my exhaust system. I have 2.5" alluminized pipe, and Flowmaster mufflers that end infront of the rear axle. The mufflers cost about $150 themselves, so it was only like $100 to have the pipes installed and bent. You could proably shop around and find a shop to get you set up with a dual exhaust system with mufflers for $150-200. I would use 2 1/4" pipe, it is just right for a stock 350. Plus, you wouldn't have to crawl underneath the truck and install it youself. A dual exhaust will give you more power, and pick up 1 or 2 MPG also. And you can add a little louder mufflers and get that great sound from your 350 .

------------------
Lucas

"Another proud owner of one of the coolest trucks ever built"

drop_shift@hotmail.com

My Daily-Driver: '72 Chevy LWB Custom/10. Rebuilt 350, roughly 300 HP thanks to a 204/214 duration cam, Edelbrock Performer intake and 1406 carb, headers, and 40 seires Flowmaster mufflers. Ochre with a white top. Lots of fun .

[This message has been edited by yellow72custom (edited May 22, 2002).]
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 08:08 PM   #8
72stik

Wink

thanks for the advice everyone. i paid 250 at meinaky who put in a great dual setup, and i didnt crawl at all. today repainted the mirror mounts and installed new 7x10 napa ss recs. looks good. next find rockers,corners an inner fenders. good weekend everyone. dave