The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
gopokes

H pipe necessary?

I am starting to work on my exhaust and was thinking about running each side straight back into a muffler and dumping in front of the axle. I started doing a little research on what mufflers sound best on the 5.3 and found that there are alot of people out there that say you should have an H or X pipe. From what I have read it will lower the tone a little and take away any popping on deceleration. So my question is how much of a difference are we talking here? Does anyone have any experience with the sound of one vs. the other?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
67C10BUB

Re: H pipe necessary?

I am planning on straight piping mine as well, so I am also interested.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10BUB View Post
I am planning on straight piping mine as well, so I am also interested.
I checked out your build, looking good! From everything I've read, they all say do it if at all possible. It will not only help with lowering the tone and popping, but will give you more low end torque as well. I'm not really going for massive power in this truck, just the factory 5.3 is enough, but I do want it to sound good. I went ahead a fashioned one in to my exhaust last night. It's not much to look at yet, so don't laugh, still have some grinding to do. I stuck an extra piece of exhaust pipe up there to simulate the driveshaft. It clears that and is a little lower than the middle crossmember so it should work out ok.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

and h or x pipe helps with exhaust scavenging and harmonics i.e. balancing the exhaust. I have 100% true duals on my 66 right now (on an sbc) and it sounds mean as hell.

Here is excerpt sniped from the 350z forums

"he H-Pipe does balance out the pressures and slightly helps start the scavange effect on the next exhaust pulse. But it's most effective use when properly placed and sized is for it's tuning function. Sound waves enter the tube changing to a specific frequency that was found to be a problem. Prehaps a droaning noise at highway speeds. With the correct placement in the system and correct inside diameter, sound waves entering the tub shift to the problem frequency. When like frequencies collide, they cancel.

The power comes from opening up the exhaust. A slight add comes from the scavenge effect but ultimately the H-pipe is to counter the noise from opening up the exhaust.

The X-Pipe on the other hand is more effective in sound cancellation. By forcing the exhaust streams to collide, some sound frequencies are cancelled. (In a much larger range than the H-Pipe.) You would think the two exhaust paths colliding would cause more backpressure. In reality, the exhaust flow mass follows the path down the same side. (Bending around the inside of the X.)

The sound frequencies cross paths of the exhaust. Cancellation of like frequencies occur even though the mass of the exhaust flow hits and deflects into the same side pipe.

This is all assuming WOT condition or near full mass flow rate. At lower flow rate, the X-pipe does make the low frequency idle sound a little irratic. Something desireable in a Mustang or Corvette. But a Cadillac wouldn't care for it.

This is used as a band aid in tuning high performance vehicles to meet the legal pass-by requirements. Something that is difficult to do on a car like the Viper Roadster or Corvette.

The X-pipe idea was tried on the Viper roadster but ultimately they used the H-pipe design. If you've ever seen the OE system on a Viper Roadster, the exhaust exits the headers, enters an un-Godly hot converter that I have seen damage body panels and melt basalt packing back into a crystal solid. It runs down the side of the car into the main muffler and then to the rear axle. Then it turns to the opposite side and hits the H-pipe which is over the axle and exits out before the axle on the opposite side of the car. If it were not for the Pass-By requirements, this would be an easy design. "

Kind of long winded but somewhat interesting.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post

"he H-Pipe does balance out the pressures and slightly helps start the scavange effect on the next exhaust pulse. But it's most effective use when properly placed and sized is for it's tuning function.
I hope I got mine properly placed and sized. This is a little disconcerning for me since I basically just moved it back and forth till I thought it was about in the right spot and welded it in. I guess I will find out in a few weeks when I get her fired up.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
Oilbrnr

By my calculations, you should have placed the H pipe 1.75" further towards the rear of the chassis.

j/k

'66 C10 w/factory A/C
'77 Cheyenne K5 350/465/205
'80 Custom Deluxe K20 350/465/205
'04 Denali XL
'05 DMax CCLB 4x

Have a Hickey Sidewinder Winch and need the owners/install manual? Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you a .pdf
Oilbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
67C10BUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbrnr View Post
By my calculations, you should have placed the H pipe 1.75" further towards the rear of the chassis.

j/k
Thanks for the heads up. I will put in the same pipe, but be sure it is exactly 1.75" back.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

lol hey I didn't write it, like I said it was taken from another site.
But: An h or xpipe of a smaller or larger diameter than the rest of the system is likely less effective. I think the same would go for putting it at the way rear of the vehicle, as it won't do nearly as much for the "drone" that dual'd vehicles can get.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
Shon

I dont run one and once you get everything in there you might decide you dont want to make it work...just depends on how the exhaust is ran.

I do not think there is MAJOR improvement to go thru the effort, if you are racing and want every millisecond then you might want to but just to drive around and beat on...
Old 11-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
I dont run one and once you get everything in there you might decide you dont want to make it work...just depends on how the exhaust is ran.

I do not think there is MAJOR improvement to go thru the effort, if you are racing and want every millisecond then you might want to but just to drive around and beat on...
I did get it in there, we will see if it ends up staying. I figured while I have the cab and bed off, this would be the time to try to see if I could make it work. Plus I'm not really out anything if it doesn't end up working. I got the pipe I'm using from my dad's shop, no telling how long it has been hanging on the wall, you can tell by the surface rust on it. I am definately not looking for extra seconds or anything, this truck will just be to cruise in. I guess I have a problem with seeing something done on another truck and saying "I can do that".
Old 01-02-2011, 03:15 AM   #11
JPCY72

I just redid my exhaust two days ago and I can tell you going from true duals then adding a h pipe after the tcase I have a 4x4 woke it up and seemed to make it a little more responsive and toned down the rumble a tad but I think it sounds better at wot smoother for sure.. If you want that tuned sound then go for it... oh and It doesnt drone in the cab at lower rpms anymore...
JPCY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #12
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

I have been considering one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote