The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2021, 05:28 PM   #1
67carry-all

Brake parts recommendations?

Hi all, been awhile since I've been on the board and that the 'Burb has been driven much. New brakes are in order, especially wheel cylinders/hardware. Any recommendations of where to source new, quality (preferably U.S. made) parts? I've looked at the vendor list - some links are apparently old and outdated, the vendors I've looked at with valid links show parts, but no info as to brand, country of origin, warranty, etc. Any recommendations, experiences, info, etc., is much appreciated. Truck is a '67 Suburban, 292/THM. Thanks. (Cross posted from Suburban Thread - just occurred to me probably more views on this board - hope that's ok).
67carry-all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:30 PM   #2
palallin

Re: Brake parts recommendations?

I bought my last parts from Rock Auto; their lists usually show the brand, at least. Some of what I bought was being clearanced out, however.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:59 PM   #3
BigBird05

I to buy a lot of my parts from Rock Auto. But I always check out several sources, including EBAY on price and quality. When I get a Rock Auto discount code I post it on this forum.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:57 AM   #4
mr.mud1

hi,i just did all the brakes on my 72 cheyenne super 20,checked locally where i have bought parts for a 100 years and then checked Rock Auto.Rock Auto won.as mentioned,they will have a listing for parts and brands so you can choose.however some of what was U.S or Canadian made parts for ever,might still come in a brand name box but from the Chinese division??still happy with the brake job on my truck,everything went together well.i changed rear wheel cylinders,front pads,rear shoes,all the wheel seals,turned the drums and rotors,rear brake hose as the truck has been in storage for 25 years and i wanted to know it was all in good shape.i did have trouble with the front brake hoses for a disc brake truck.hoses don't fit but that's been talked about here for years?take care.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
67 twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
hi,i just did all the brakes on my 72 cheyenne super 20,checked locally where i have bought parts for a 100 years and then checked Rock Auto.Rock Auto won.as mentioned,they will have a listing for parts and brands so you can choose.however some of what was U.S or Canadian made parts for ever,might still come in a brand name box but from the Chinese division??still happy with the brake job on my truck,everything went together well.i changed rear wheel cylinders,front pads,rear shoes,all the wheel seals,turned the drums and rotors,rear brake hose as the truck has been in storage for 25 years and i wanted to know it was all in good shape.i did have trouble with the front brake hoses for a disc brake truck.hoses don't fit but that's been talked about here for years?take care.Greg
100 years huh, you must be the oldest member on here. What are you 120?
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:00 PM   #6
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
100 years huh, you must be the oldest member on here. What are you 120?
yup,older than dirt.not really but some days feel like it.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #7
gmc684x4

I ordered from rock auto used raybestos parts for my 72 c20
The retainer bars to hold the shoes are too short re used originals
Ac Delco ebrake cables ends are miss aligned had to zip cut the ends and slide them down to the ends
The raybestos shoes flipped the long and short pads around

So chances are several brand name parts may need massaging to work
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #8
67carry-all

Thanks, all, for the feedback - looks like Rock Auto is the way to go, with the usual cautions about the aftermarket not always matching OEM. I'll take another look at their site and get some parts ordered.
67carry-all is offline   Reply With Quote