The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
Thealien

seat belt tutorial

To read further discussion on this topic go here- LINK

I sold someone some seat belts parts today and wanted to post a tutorial on how to take apart and reassemble our seat belt components. I know many of you know how to do this but some may not. If someone has any corrections or additions feel free to add to this thread when I am done. I also have a thread where I kind of cleaned/restored a set

Seat belt restoration

In this first picture I am pointing out what holds the plastic onto the metal mechanism. Be carefull trying to get them off you can tear the plastic easily. I hold the plastic body in one hand and try to pull straight out on the metal mechanism.

In the next picture I have the belt pulled all the way out showing the clip that holds the belt to the recoil part. I did not remove the clip as they can be tough to get off and on. I usually just get a screwdriver behind it and pry it off. Putting it back on can be frustrating and I don't have any tips for you.

This shows the direction of the screw/bolt

This shows the cut out of the screw

Here is the bolt with the sleeve it goes through

This is the notch in the recoil mechanism that the bolt and sleeve fit into.

Last edited by augie; 06-15-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Thealien

Re: seat belt tutorial

Here is the bolt and sleeve in the mechanism. This is just to show how it goes. You have to have the belt clipped to the recoil mechanism. You then have to slide the recoil mechanism with the sleeve in facing the correct way back into the metal housing. When it is aligned with the hole you slide the screw through spinning it until the slot matches the recoil mechanism and you can push it the rest of the way through.

This is just to show how the spring fits into the plastic ends of the recoil mechanism. The other side is similar, Just remember upon installation the notched part has to go on the nut side (same side as the mounting tab)

I mark the head of the philips screw. When everything is back together you will have to preload the recoil spring.

I pull the belt out and hold it. With a philips screwdriver in the screw and a 1/2 inch wrench or socket on the other I loosen the nut while holding the screw. I then count how many turns the screw takes to unload (mine was about 6). Before snapping the plastic cover back on test the spring tension. You should be able to pull the belt all the way out until you see that clip. The belt should also recoil back all the way. There is a fine line between too much and not enough. You will get it after a few tries. When you are happy snug the nut a little more (while adjusting you will have to hold the screw with a screwdriver and loosen and then tighten that nut snugly each time for each adjustment). You won't have to crank on that nut, just snug until you are happy and when happy tighten a little more. Snap the cover on and you are done with that part.

Last edited by augie; 06-15-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Thealien

Here is how you take the buckle apart I am pointing to where you have to pry. Carefull they crack/break easy!

This is the notch in the back of the cover

And the matching notch on the buckle

Here is the notch on the side that you are prying it apart for

And the matching notch in the plastic cover

Here is the button in the cover. Note the metal part in the front. It is in wrong

Here is how the metal piece is supposed to go.

Last edited by augie; 06-15-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Thealien

Here is how the buckle looks with the webbing removed. Make sure the friction part moves freely and the release part moves freely.

Here is how you start feeding the webbing back through the buckle.

And then feed it back through.

Here is how it should look when it is back through. While feeding it you can leave a big loop in the buckle and pull it tight when the folded part is back through.

Last edited by augie; 06-15-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Thealien

When snapping the plastic cover on you have to start at the back. Remember the notches?

Make sure you have the button in place and facing the right way.

Then I just hold it like this and snap it back together. If its not all lined up in the back and that metal piece I showed upside down isn't in correctly it wont go back together.

If it is all correct the sides of the plastic will be flush with the metal buckle part.

I hope this helps somebody.

Last edited by augie; 06-15-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Closed Thread