The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #126
OrrieG

Re: heres the progress of the build of my 57 chevy

It is a nice design. My Dad used to draw one like that all the time when he doodled in the 50's and 60's. But then he was a Ford guy, raised on flatheads in the 30's and 40's after the war. Here is a commerative medallion issued by Ford in 1934. It was used in a lot of their advertising too. I do not know if it was used as trim on any of the cars. Just thought some history might be helpful...
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 04-11-2010 at 08:36 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #127
yukon ratrod

that medallion is really cool! will have to quiz some of the guys at work and see if they ve ever seen one! thanks for sharing.
yukon ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #128
OKGMC4

I completely understand how much work that tailgate took. BUT, the rear of that truck looks awesome. Seems you have the same inability I do to leave things alone. These trucks are great if you only chop, shave, round, lower, modify, cut, weld, gusset, and change EVERYTHING. Haha.

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:38 AM   #129
55 on bags

wow great thread
55 on bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #130
Ipaintgrt

Any progress on this thread? Your doing a great job! Scott
Ipaintgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #131
yukon ratrod

its at a stand still for the time being. a large tree landed on the box last week and has me a little discuraged at the moment. so Im taking a little time off! lol
Old 06-02-2010, 05:34 AM   #132
Ipaintgrt

That totally sucks! Sorry to hear that. Your build is one of my favorites. I really like what you have done with your bed and I'm anxious to see what you end up doing with that V-8 logo. Hang in there with your bed.
Scott
Ipaintgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:18 AM   #133
yukon ratrod

I was hoping to have this thing further along, but between work and family I havent had much time. the tree accident was kind of a back breaker for me. the right side boxside has been damaged badly. I will need to reinvent the top tube of the boxside if Im going to save it. I have some really cool ideas, and will put them into motion soon! Im just finishing a restoration on my fathers 65 mustang fastback, and need an emergency brake cable and some exhaust and its a runner. then Im going to take it to work and finish the paint work. we have a carshow on the 26th of june and we want the car done for that, so will be busy for the next few weeks. after that its back to the truck in a big way. thanks for the compliments.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #134
waybad

Unhappy Re: heres the progress of the build of my 57 chevy

MAN THAT SUCKS!!! don't give up,, you have worked to hard to quit now!
waybad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:19 AM   #135
bobinbc

Sorry to hear about the tree and your truck.

I know it doesn't really compare but my shop flooded in the middle of winter before last, and then froze solid with the chassis for my 57 sitting there on jackstands. Didn't feel like working on it much for a while after that... When it thawed out in the spring I raised the building and poured a new floor, had to move EVERYTHING out to storage 10 miles away and then back at the end of summer when I finished. I'm finally ready to get back at it and I can't wait.

Right now I know this feels like a HUGE setback, but you will come back and it will be even better. I'll be waiting patiently for your return.

Bob

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #136
yukon ratrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinbc View Post
Sorry to hear about the tree and your truck.

I know it doesn't really compare but my shop flooded in the middle of winter before last, and then froze solid with the chassis for my 57 sitting there on jackstands. Didn't feel like working on it much for a while after that... When it thawed out in the spring I raised the building and poured a new floor, had to move EVERYTHING out to storage 10 miles away and then back at the end of summer when I finished. I'm finally ready to get back at it and I can't wait.

Right now I know this feels like a HUGE setback, but you will come back and it will be even better. I'll be waiting patiently for your return.

Bob
thanks bob! its amazing sometimes how life gives you a little kick in the butt to remind us were not invisible! lol
Old 06-16-2010, 02:53 AM   #137
Tanman

I hope you can continue with your build. You have given me inspiration on how I want to build my 57. You are doing an awesome job. Keep it up.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #138
OrrieG

Have you checked with your homeowners insurance? I kept my truck insured for fire, theft and damage until I took it apart. At that time my agent said it could not be insured as a vehicle but it was now parts that are covered under my homeowners personal property provision in case the garage burns or it is stolen or damaged just like the rest of the spare parts I have in my garage attic or my tools. Once its a running vehicle again I can get it insured as a vehicle. Also check on the limits on your tools, I have mine inventoried and an assigned value, just like the wifes silver, because the value exceeds the policy maximum.

Last edited by OrrieG; 06-16-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #139
docrock

EXCELLENT BUILD!. Sorry to hear about the tree.
docrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #140
yukon ratrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Have you checked with your homeowners insurance? I kept my truck insured for fire, theft and damage until I took it apart. At that time my agent said it could not be insured as a vehicle but it was now parts that are covered under my homeowners personal property provision in case the garage burns or it is stolen or damaged just like the rest of the spare parts I have in my garage attic or my tools. Once its a running vehicle again I can get it insured as a vehicle. Also check on the limits on your tools, I have mine inventoried and an assigned value, just like the wifes silver, because the value exceeds the policy maximum.
truthfully I believe Im going to sell it. Im to fusterated and to busy to even want to work on it right now. I have some fellows interested in buying it, so will see what happens. need a little pick me up to keep going I guess. Ive sold projects before and always, always, always, kicked my ass for it later!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #141
Fat Mike

Yukon don't sell your project, you'll regret it! Maybe this will help you to keep your project. I went for a bicycle ride a couple of weeks ago and was going along just fine, when supposedly a drunk driver hit me running a portion of me over and throwing me against a barrier wall that keep cars from driver over the bridge into the river. I broke several bones and got a concussion and am still recovering. The worst part was that no one stopped to help me, the driver left the scene, and I did everything in my power to get my phone and call 911. I wish I could get back to work so lets just I am glad that tree branch didn't hit you and your okay. KEEP THE PROJECT! Hope to see pictures real soon.
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #142
OrrieG

I have half a dozen rigs I "had to sell" over the years. Looking back I could have kept them as the situations turned themselves around. There are also a bunch of "should have bought" ones too. The list includes a 57 210 set up for street and bracket racing, my first 57 pickup, my first 64 chevelle, 68 camaro, 54 Corvette basket case I could have gotten for $500 in 1968, 41 Chevy. Also in 69 there was a factory 67 Hemi Belvedere my dad would not co-sign on and I did not have the $1400 the guy wanted for it!

In my current situation I unloaded everything except for my wifes car and my 64, and the 59 in my build thread. Wasn't a big decision because the 64 was my DD anyway and I didn't need more trucks.

Can you salvage the back part what you put so much work on? I'd love to see this build to completion.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #143
yukon ratrod

I have another box, but all the labor in tilting the gate would have to be redone. I love the look of these trucks alot and everytime I see one I want mine even more. I have been waiting on a new rad support now for almost three months and if it was to appear I would atleast be able to take a breather from the ass end and concentrate on the front end mods. I sure wish I could find a rad support. just not having any luck at all.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #144
Fat Mike

Glad to see you posted. A wise man told me once that when you get dissapointed with an area of your truck move to another area. Hope to see some pictures soon.
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #145
blackdiesel

What would it cost to ship one from 72662. I have an extra.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #146
OKGMC4

Ya, don't sell. Take a breath and a break and get back to it. Maybe the end where all the tilt work could be cut off and spliced onto another bed side? Yours is one of my favs as well, would hate to see it go!

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #147
OrrieG

I checked last night, from 83701 its $70 by us postal international priority based on 30# weight, I wasn't ambitious enough to take the scale out to the shed. UPS was $264. I have an extra too.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #148
blackdiesel

ouch that's what I was afraid of. OrrieG is yours for a 4 lighter? he's biulding a 57.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #149
yukon ratrod

thanks guys! I had ordered one, so perhaps I best check on it one more time before I get to carried away. I appreciate the offers. the new one was 200.00 canadain landed here, which wasnt bad, but times a waisten!! will keep in touch!!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #150
yukon ratrod

black diesel! was it you that had a bunch of left over grill bits! Im still thinking about where I want to go with this front end.