The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2013, 03:26 AM   #426
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Thanks for doing that R46. It's all just to keep track of my changes over time but I'm glad someone else gets some enjoyment from it too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #427
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Oh man Russ, you're like a drug pusher!

I ALREADY have chrome headlight rings and always planned to put in a chrome grill. I replaced the massive diamond plate rear bumper with the repop chrome one right after I bought the truck.

I've been tormenting myself with the idea of chrome window & vent frames ...and you're right: I DO want them.

As to the chrome IN the rubber around the big rear window? I'd love to have that but it seems everyone says it is a beeyatch to get the trim in without bending it. Last, the trim on the body that goes around the cab? I tend to like it but worry about putting all the extra holes in the cab...and of course is all this stuff just TOO DAMNED MUCH??
Dan, I must be taking some of my own drugs, LOL. I already ordered tinted door glass with chrome frames. I also ordered new door handles and scratch guards. It's all supposed to be here by this coming weekend.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #428
Dan in Pasadena

Who did you order from? I'll be curious about the quality of those window frames when you get them. I KNOW I'm gonna go chrome now!!! You'll post about them & the install, right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #429
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Who did you order from? I'll be curious about the quality of those window frames when you get them. I KNOW I'm gonna go chrome now!!! You'll post about them & the install, right?
Posted via Mobile Device
I ordered the door glass at a local place called Georgia Classic Parts, along with the window channel and belt moulding kit. It's all supposed to be here later this week. I ordered the outside door handles, the lock kit, and the scratch guards this past Friday from BowTie Bits so hopefully that will be here soon also. I need new window regulators too and I'm still debating on whether to replace them with new manual ones, or go with power windows from Specialty Power Windows. I'll make that decision after I pay for what I already have ordered, LOL.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #430
Dan in Pasadena

I plan to EVENTUALLY put in power windows but its no priority now. I like those switches that let you use your existing window crank as the Up/Down button. They're pricey but then so is the entire job.

Looking forward to seeing your work. Please give me a heads up if you run into problem and especially how you get past them!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #431
Rude Dude

Dan
what also works and is available in different colors is large shrink tubing. I used it on my 1986 C10 stepside just remember to put two layers on cause in about 8 to 10 years it will start to wear, but easy enough to cut off and redo.

Quote:
Ok, so today I took "G&R's 57 GMC"'s suggestion in post #384 above, stopped at the local bicycle shop to ask for an inner tube out of their trash. They said, "Take as many as you want!" I only took one and did THIS with it:

Yeah, kind of meh.... But the ones the shops sell don't look much different. It is what it is I suppose.

I also finally got my Craigslist-find front bumper painted on the reverse side and mounted. Thereby finishing the recent front end work:

Hell of an improvement to me.

In preparation for installing door weatherstripping, tomorrow I clean out the door interiors (loaded with crap), Ospho overnight then paint with KBS...maybe Rust Reformer; depends how bad it looks after treatment.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #432
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Rudy. Yeah, Low Elco mentioned large diameter shrink wrap back a couple pages on post #397. I've never seen any that big. I think I'll stop at the same bike shop today and ask for the inner tube off a road bike - much smaller diameter. But I'll keep the shrink tube idea in mind if I'm still not happy with it. Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #433
Dan in Pasadena

Pulled the front bumper, grill and latch panel off again (DOH!) - but for a good reason.

One of you FINE GENTLEMEN (I'll let him identify himself, if he wants to) PM'd me with a very generous offer for a new, largely unused repop chrome grill. Since I've revealed myself as a bit of a chrome whore (kinda like a crack whore but apprently MORE addictive!) I am going for it.

Little Devil on my shoulder: (dan.....you NEED a new chrome hood badge.....)

Pic's on the weekend!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #434
Number 9

Life is good.
Number 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #435
Dan in Pasadena

Ha ha, you're absolutely right!

I'm healthy and have (a few) dollars to spend in my personal toy.

Life IS good
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #436
Russell Ashley

Quote:
I plan to EVENTUALLY put in power windows but its no priority now. I like those switches that let you use your existing window crank as the Up/Down button. They're pricey but then so is the entire job.

Looking forward to seeing your work. Please give me a heads up if you run into problem and especially how you get past them!
Posted via Mobile Device
I like those switches that use an original window handle too, but I don't see any provision with those to let you control the passenger side window from the driver side. You are correct, they are pricey. I'll probably just get the kit with switches and harness from Specialty Power Windows. The new door handles and scratch guards came today and they look great. The handles have a CounterParts label under the BowTie Bits label, probably the same thing most vendors are selling.

That lust for chrome might be an age thing, LOL. I have a serious case of it too. I just missed a pair of 57 hood rockets on CL for $200 and I'm kicking myself over that.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #437
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
I like those switches that use an original window handle too, but I don't see any provision with those to let you control the passenger side window from the driver side.
Hmmm, had never considered that. The price would probably keep me from buying them anyway but truthfully I'll drive my truck by myself mostly, so less of a concern to me. Better to look mah-velous than to work mah-velous, ha ha!

Quote:
The handles have a CounterParts label under the BowTie Bits label, probably the same thing most vendors are selling..
Yeah, the ones I bought from The Truck Shop in Orange, CA have the same Counterpart labels. I thought the quality looked good.

Quote:
That lust for chrome might be an age thing, LOL. I have a serious case of it too. I just missed a pair of 57 hood rockets on CL for $200 and I'm kicking myself over that.
Good luck with finding more. Is your truck a '57?

I had one I lost due to my divorce of 13 years ago. It always BUGGED me I had to sell it....which is what led to me buying a Porsche 944 - yeah, I was totally broke. Then I bought/restored/sold to The Netherlands a 911. Replaced that with a '46 Chevy truck. But none of them satisfied me. I KNEW I wanted a '55-'59, preferably a big window or a Fleetside if a '58/'59. Got what I have been lusting after two years ago!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #438
Number 9

You could use a double throw self centering switch in the bottom lip of the dash for passenger window.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #439
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 9 View Post
You could use a double throw self centering switch in the bottom lip of the dash for passenger window.
See Russ! There's ALWAYS someone here smarter than us.....well, at least ME!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #440
Number 9

Not me.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #441
ChevroletWT

Just finished reading through this whole thread.

Dan you are doing an incredible job tidyin' this ole gal up. And I can tell you are having a ball, too! Looking forward to continued updates!!
ChevroletWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #442
Number 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 9 View Post
Not me.
iF I were smart my truck could be driving down the road rather then in the late stages of going back together, and not being healthy enough to finish it.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #443
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevroletWT View Post
Just finished reading through this whole thread.

Dan you are doing an incredible job tidyin' this ole gal up. And I can tell you are having a ball, too! Looking forward to continued updates!!
1st: Thanks for reading through all my blabbing! She WAS pretty fugly when I started, huh? lol

2nd: Thanks for the kind words. You've nailed it - it's not a build, its simply "tidying" her up as best I can until she undergoes a full "face lift" after I retire; about 5-6 years. But I'm gonna drive her every dry weekend until then and she's gotta look good (to me) til then!!

Thanks again!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 04-03-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #444
Dan in Pasadena

Nothing too exciting today. I'm trying to get to the point I can install the door weather stripping I already have.

Here's what was in my door bottoms! (Streamlight flashlight just for scale)

No wonder there is some rust through, though surprisingly very little. I've got a spot approximately 3/4" x 3/4" on the driver's door lower front "skin"

On the bottom of the door there are two spots about 1/8" and 1/4" each. Here's a (crappy) photo of the door interior:

Okay, so WHAT'S my plan:

1. Treat interior door bottoms with Ospho: I tore garage towels into 6" strips, soaked w/ Ospho & laid in door bottoms. Let it soak overnight.

2. Drill four small holes in corners of rust-through and cut out rusted metal in prep for welded patches. (I'm a terrible welder but no one will ever see these patches so it's a good place to practice!)

3. Paint door bottom interiors w/ KBS Rust Bullet (sitting on a shelf a year. Hope it's still good!)

4. Paint exterior w/ KBS too. Finish coat, allow to cure and install new weatherstrip
Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #445
dubie

i've been away for a few days. I vote for the scratch guards bud!!! They really add some class to the handles, and the seem to suit your truck. I like your blingy Chevrolet lettering on the tailgate too, never seen that done before.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #446
Dan in Pasadena

Here's another shot of the door interior AFTER 24 hrs soaked in Ospho.

As you can see, the rags I used didn't press down into the cracks well (shoulda thought of that) so some rust is left. I put some in a spray bottle and re-applied.

The crust-iness is where the metal was damaged by the rust but is now neutralized. Believe it or not its very solid, not near holed-through at all. But for whatever reason (where the trash accumulated?) there ARE a couple holed-through spots but they are very small and totally solid around the holes. I will attempt to weld them up using my Hobart Handler 140 with .030" fluxcore - just cause I already have it. If it blows through or is a problem I'll bite the bullet and go buy an ArCo2 bottle from Airgas and of course some .023" solid wire. I'll use a copper backer bar of course.

The whole thing will look a lot better once its in gloss black KBS. I'll post a photo of course. I only plan to paint up the first 4"-5". All comments/suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 04-04-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #447
Dan in Pasadena

Nothing got done today on the doors because I got THIS chrome grill from a member here who shall remain nameless. I had errands to run this morning but did manage to get this and the front panels & bumper back on.

I'm re- IN LOVE! ha ha. I can't help myself, I like chrome.

I suppose it's not THAT noticeable to anyone else but it pleases me. My buddy says putting this much chrome on a rattle canned truck is like dressing up a wrinkled old whore with red lipstick and lots of jewelry! He made me laugh, but I don't care.

It's a Chinese repop grill and doesn't truly fit for **** - but I don't care. No one but people like us would ever know. Love is blind you know! ha ha.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 04-06-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #448
Clarance J

Sure looks good from here. I just wish I had that much chrome on my truck. I know someday I'll get my nice shiney parts for Clarance J. For now he's gotta be satisfied with just paint. I noticed the holes in the hood for the badge. What are your plans for that? I took mine off years ago and filled them, but now I'd like to replace it. Your truck is looking great. It would mean more chrome on the front.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #449
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarance J View Post
....I noticed the holes in the hood for the badge. What are your plans for that? I took mine off years ago and filled them, but now I'd like to replace it. Your truck is looking great. It would mean more chrome on the front.
Thanks!

I've always intended to install the hood ornament. I even have one but the chrome is very dead. I'm kinda liking the way it looks without one though. Opinions please!

Since a repop hood ornament is $200, I'll be waiting (yes, I KNOW I didn't intend to buy the mirror arms, the door handles, the grill OR the bumper, ha ha)

Can anyone answer these questions?:
I read somewhere that the '55.2 side emblems have a white painted background and the '56's have black painted backgrounds. Is that correct?
I'd also like to put the "V8" emblems on. I'm not certain if they came on the '55.2's? And I don't know exactly WHERE they go?

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 04-06-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #450
Number 9

It looks great.