The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
General23cmp

Mar-K, my experience

I thought I’d share my experience with Mar-K as it’s been extremely frustrating. I consider myself moderately picky (I’m not an OCD customer). I purchased a complete set of upper and woodgrain lower trim for my swb 72. This was over 4 months ago. I went with them because the are the best.

Upon receiving the trim after a long lead time, which they communicated would be the case, I was very disappointed in the woodgrain pieces. As you know, the woodgrain is simply a long vinyl sticker applied. Several pieces had vinyl areas that were not sticking to the trim below it (making a bubble or crease), and the vinyl was not even applied straight on some pieces leaving gaps along the top or bottom. No matter how much pressing I did of the raised areas, the vinyl would release back to the way it was received. Even on the back side of the pieces where the vinyl wrapped around and is supposed to be attached to hold it, was releasing so it just flapped. There was no way these pieces would last when actually installed on the truck if the don’t last inside protected plastic wrap.

I contacted Mar-K, and to their credit, they arranged for me to send back the pieces (I only sent the 5 worst ones back), and they sent replacements to me. Upon receipt, 3 of the 5 pieces were worse than what I had originally sent back. I made one piece work, but shouldn’t have to do that and question if it’ll last over time. But the 2 pieces left were not good. I couldn’t even press the vinyl down as it would cause a raised crease on one, so there was no way it was ever down correctly/smooth. I contacted Mar-K, and they sent two more pieces for these (again, credit them for that), but one is still in the same boat. It seems like they would’ve taken a good look at the pieces before shipping to me at this point, but clearly they did not. I haven’t bothered contacting them about this one, as I’ve given up. Three shipments should be enough to get it right. All I can do at this point is caution others about the woodgrain. A picture of one of the last pieces received is attached. As you can see, it won’t press down without a crease being made.

So in summary, after three attempts and 4.5 months, I still do not have a usable full set of lower molding. Their customer service has been good, but I did go a while without responses at times. I’m also very concerned that the woodgrain pieces that looked ok, will not last when installed. I just wanted to share my experience as trim is a very big investment. I don’t know what I would do differently if I could do it over again as there aren’t many quality trim companies to choose from, but perhaps a less expensive company could do this part just as well. I know other companies apply a strong tape to the back side to hold those back side flaps down better. I like that and will probably do that to mine before installing (I shouldn’t have to do that if buying high quality).

I hope Mar-K monitors these types of sites as I’d love to end up with a complete set, but I know, like I am, they are probably tired of hearing from me on this transaction. But more importantly, they need to look at this product more closely. We need complies like them and this won’t be the only truck I need trim for. I know others had great luck with them, but it can’t be just me if I’ve had multiple replacements sent with similar issues. Maybe it’s a result of covid, too, and I’m getting product that is atypical.
Attached Images

General23cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #2
MAC71Cheyenne

Re: Mar-K, my experience

Rather unfortunate... In the same boat but haven't gotten that far on fixes yet. Just an idea, suppose a cabinet shop or even big box would have a roll of wood grain liner that could be cut and used? I know this is crazy but I work in an elementary school and at one time they topped off their heat shrouds with this stuff and it is a real bit**h to get off of there, even using a heat gun.
MAC71Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
52napco

I have used both in the past with no issues from either but the last Mar-K kit my friend bought some of it was counterpart stuff.. so I need a complete set for my K20 and a SWB GMC for my friend and I'm going to just order everything from AMD in Georgia this time.
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
Davidf

Well, I have been trying to get the same pieces from Brothers. Same quality issue as the OP. I ordered my set on 9/30/20 and am still waiting to get a useable order. About 10 days ago I received my trim pieces, but the packaging was so poorly done that every single piece was damaged. Replacements on their way. I did notice the stickers were poorly adhered and some poorly aligned. I can fix the adhesion problem, but not the alignment so much.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
best view

Your better off getting it in black and buying a roll of the wood grain and putting it on yourself dam easy and done right
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #6
General23cmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by best view View Post
Your better off getting it in black and buying a roll of the wood grain and putting it on yourself dam easy and done right
You’re probably right. I considered it, but thought the pros would be better. I’m also concerned if I want to fix a couple of pieces, that I’d have to do them all to match.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:17 PM   #7
General23cmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52napco View Post
I have used both in the past with no issues from either but the last Mar-K kit my friend bought some of it was counterpart stuff.. so I need a complete set for my K20 and a SWB GMC for my friend and I'm going to just order everything from AMD in Georgia this time.
Mar-K does say which pieces aren’t made by them. It’s 90% theirs, but you are correct.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:25 PM   #8
StingRay

I got the 67-68 trim and found lots of small flaws. They replaced a couple pieces but it's not much better. You have to look close to see anything so I'll live with it.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:08 AM   #9
Wobpb377

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52napco View Post
Sorry to thread jack. But how is AMD vs Mar-K? For
A full kit it’s about 200 cheaper.
Wobpb377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:59 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

I would have kept dealing with Mar-K until they sent good stuff. I don't know why they wouldn't have been inspecting the replacement pieces they sent, but I would insist that they do and stop wasting my time and their money. Mar-K is a company that makes old truck steel bed parts. Been doing that for a long time and they are good at it. The vinyl trim is not their kind of thing, traditionally. I don't know, but it's probably farmed out and they need to be getting on that supplier on quality control

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:17 AM   #11
52napco

It's just my red neck opinion and I'm always that guy that will pay a lot more for made in USA vs China products but I'm gonna be cheap this time. Most of the reproduction parts are made at the same factory but labeled per vendor anyway.
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:41 AM   #12
BigBird05

Has anyone tryed one of the Vinyl wrapping places?
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #13
tdangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by General23cmp View Post
... Maybe it’s a result of covid, too, and I’m getting product that is atypical.
I really getting tired of people and companies saying their lack of customer service is a result of covid. What does it take to inspect the product prior to sending it out. You pay top dollar and get junk, not right. Did the trim get covid?

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #14
best view

I have wrapped several blazers without taking the molding off lmc tape sticks real good don’t know how the pros can screw it up
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:25 PM   #15
terry b

I bought Mark-K side trim for my 72 about six year's ago. Still look great. Different time's i suppose.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:55 PM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Mar-K, my experience

Call them up and send it all back. Don't settle for anything less. Either get what you paid for are get your money back. Then order the plain trim and the tape do it yourself.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #17
vics stuff

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Last edited by truckdude239; 11-16-2020 at 04:51 PM.
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote