The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2024, 04:53 PM   #1
Luke87gt

Purchased a 1969 C10 Short Bed - Pleasanton, CA

Hello everyone,

I’ve been lurking on this forum for some years now but finally registered as I just purchased a 1969 C10 short bed 6cyl with a three on the tree manual trans (it is a converted longbed). I’ve wanted a 67-72 C10 for years but it was never the right time. It’s probably still not the best time but I went ahead with it I’m hoping this forum will be a place where I can learn more about the truck and establish some community with like minded enthusiasts.

The truck was shipped from Washington to my home in Pleasanton, CA this week. I’ve wanted a short bed c10 for some time now and finally pulled the trigger. I’ve included some pics below.

I have had project cars in the past (late model Mustangs and Corvettes) but this is my first carburetor equipped toy and my first experience with vintage Chevrolet.

A few things I’m hoping you all can start me off with:

a.) I bought the car from an 80yr old man who had it since the 1980s. The truck is obviously an i6 but he couldn’t remember whether it was a 250 or 292cu in engine. Can anyone tell me how I can ID which engine it is? When I do a search on RockAuto, it’s actually showing (4) different 6cyl options in 1969. I always thought there was (2)?

b.) The truck has been sitting for years. The owner would occasionally start it but it’s been a long time since it’s been registered for road use. It’s running very rough and struggles to hold an idle (it has some smoking and you have to goose the throttle to keep it alive). I suspect some carb related issues. I’ll start with a basic tune-up including spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, fuel filter, and air filter. Any other items I should consider while I’m doing this? Also, plan is to mostly use RockAuto ACDelco parts. If you recommend any others, please let me know.

c.) What oil do you recommend for the first oil change? Let’s assume it’s a high mileage i6. 10W-40 conventional sound right?

d.) What rearend came in these trucks? I’ll take a picture and post here.

e.) If it turns out that I need a hand, does anyone know any C10/classic Chevy shops in the Tri-Valley (Bay Area) that know their way around a carburetor?

I’ll be checking back in frequently and plan to utilize this thread for updates as I go. The first priority is to get it running well enough where I can drive around town with my 5yr old son.

We live in Pleasanton, CA which hosts multiple annual GoodGuys and downtown classic car shows which we hope to be a part of in the coming years.

Thank you and look forward to being part of the community here.

Luke87GT
Attached Images

Last edited by Luke87gt; 03-02-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Luke87gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 05:00 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Purchased a 1969 C10 Short Bed - Pleasanton, CA

Welcome aboard! I'd also have the gas tank flushed, and replace all the neoprene fuel lines. The carburetor probably has a bunch of dried fuel in it, and should be rebuilt, imo.
For all kinds of service and repair info, specs, etc., go here and download the manuals-
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ghlight=hatzie

You would be well advised to look at the points inside the distributor, as well.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 05:01 PM   #3
chevmn

If spid (decal in glove box) is visible and still intact, post a photo. That will give quite a bit of info, including engine, rear axle ratio (if optional), along with other options it had. Does not appear to be a higher option truck, but nothing wrong with that.

P.S. Sure wish they looked that good in Misouri. The salt and chemicals kill them here if winter driven. I had a 67 I purchased when it was about 10 years old, and the rockers were already gone, and had been filled with bondo by then. You can imagine what 50 years do to them.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 06:13 PM   #4
Luke87gt

Thank you, here is the tag. Still struggling to find how to ID the engine other than it’s a straight 6cyl
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2024, 06:28 PM   #5
oneshotkyle

A) engine looks like a 250 to me. You can tell from th passenger side of the block with pics to.
B) do a complete tune up and flush the fuel tank. Plugs cap rotor points condenser at minimum. I bought a hei distributor off ebay cheaper than i could buy cap rotor points and condenser. It is a major upgrade to points style distributor
C) nothing special for oil straight 30w would be just fine
D) yours is a truck 12 bolt
oneshotkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 06:38 PM   #6
yuccales

Good looking truck. When you get a chance, post more pics! You know how we are!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 07:07 PM   #7
Luke87gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshotkyle View Post
A) engine looks like a 250 to me. You can tell from th passenger side of the block with pics to.
B) do a complete tune up and flush the fuel tank. Plugs cap rotor points condenser at minimum. I bought a hei distributor off ebay cheaper than i could buy cap rotor points and condenser. It is a major upgrade to points style distributor
C) nothing special for oil straight 30w would be just fine
D) yours is a truck 12 bolt
Thank you. Maybe someone can post both a 250 and a 292 and show the differences?

I’m assuming it’s an open rear? I’ll jack up the rear and rotate one of the wheels to be sure but I expect it’s an open.

Pardon my ignorance but what is a “points” and “condenser”? Mind pointing me to that in RockAuto? Wonder if those have another name I’m more used to… Thanks
Old 03-02-2024, 07:40 PM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

Welcome aboard and here is some ID information.
Basically 250 has fuel pump in front of motor mount and on a 292 it's aft of the motor mount.

https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=516277
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 08:14 PM   #9
oneshotkyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke87gt View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what is a “points” and “condenser”? Mind pointing me to that in RockAuto? Wonder if those have another name I’m more used to… Thanks
Points and condensor is internal of the distributor cap. Old school and higher maintenance than a electronic ignition
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2024, 08:37 PM   #10
Luke87gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshotkyle View Post
Points and condensor is internal of the distributor cap. Old school and higher maintenance than a electronic ignition
That’s helpful, thank you for the education. Is this an install and forget it or do those pictured parts have any level of adjustability that you have to get right? Thanks

Last edited by Luke87gt; 03-02-2024 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:49 PM   #11
oneshotkyle

Quote:
That’s helpful, thank you for the education. Is this an install and forget it or do those pictures parts have any level of adjustability that you have to get right? Thansk
You will need a dwell meter to set the points correctly. And from time to time you will have to keep up on them. Thats why id recommend a HEI (i got mine off ebay for like 55 bucks) or a petronix conversion kit. That kit will be electronic and fit in factory distributor.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:49 PM   #12
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

The points need a gap adjustment. Based on OnShotKyle's post, I'll agree that an HEI may be cheaper. Points and condenser prices were stupid high (to me) last time I did my truck. It has an HEI now, which eliminates points and condenser, and maintains tune for a lot longer, to boot. Maybe check into an electronic kit that just replaces the points. They are on par with those parts, and will last a lot longer than points. You don't have to mess with the ignition harness, either.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:20 PM   #13
Luke87gt

I confirmed that the fuel pump is in front of the motor mount so it looks like it’s a 250 i6. Thank you guys for the tip to positively ID the motor.

I’ve had the car sitting in the garage overnight and came out in the morning to a very strong gas smell that was starting to find its way to the house.

It looks like there is a gas leak between the carburetor and intake manifold. It drained the little fuel filter container overnight.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a carb rebuild kit?

I’ve included a pic of the fuel leak
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2024, 09:30 PM   #14
Luke87gt

Is the HEI just a drop in distributor replacement? So I wouldn’t have to get a cap/rotor/points/distributor.

Anything else needed to make the HEI work? Thanks
Old 03-02-2024, 09:33 PM   #15
oneshotkyle

Quote:
Is the HEI just a drop in distributor replacement? So I wouldn’t have to get a cap/rotor/points/distributor.

Anything else needed to make the HEI work? Thanks
Drop in yes. Will need wires and to run one new wire from distributor to firewall plug also. Thats it
Old 03-02-2024, 11:06 PM   #16
zicc1835

nice find .....congratulations lots of great knowledge shared here.... good luck enjoy that first ride with your son get us more pictures when you can.....PLEASE
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 12:05 AM   #17
67 twins

For ignition components like cap, rotor, points & condenser I always use Blue Streak parts. If you do decide to upgrade to HEI remember you get what you pay for. An $89 ebay distributor is no bargain. Get an original GM distributor & rebuild it if necessary. Tom Lowe at 12bolt.com has used distributors for your 6, as well as other new & used parts.
Welcome to the board.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 01:29 AM   #18
Rust_never_sleeps

Welcome, neighbor
Monument Auto carries Blue Streak ignition parts, and Hygrade carb rebuild kits.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:42 AM   #19
dmjlambert

That is a beautiful truck you have there. I have a 69 of the same color, although mine is rusty. Great purchase. Congratulations. It appears the 80 yr old man took good care of it. You graduated from lurking to posting, that's great. Post lots of questions and lots of pictures. An amazing amount of knowledge and opinions are right here waiting for you to ask. These wonderful folks have helped me with a ton of stuff on my truck. This forum has the most helpful and friendliest vibe on the Internet, I think you will be amazed. I will share a these things that I didn't know when I got started with my truck, and I wish I had known from the start:
  1. Original and good reproduction service manuals, owners manuals are available on eBay and from all the catalog vendors.
  2. There are numerous online vendors who sell parts for these series of trucks.
  3. Many of the vendors let you request a free catalog by mail and those catalogs will give you good ideas. Examples LMC, Brothers, NPD
  4. Quite a few but not all of the catalog vendors have been purchased by Holly, and the quality of service and parts have suffered because of that in some people's opinions. Examples Brothers, Southern Kentucky Classics. Something to be aware of.
  5. Some vendors directly support this forum and are members here and have very good reputations here as selling stuff that is good quality or the best quality that is available for the particular aftermarket part you're looking for. They may not have glossy catalogs or easy click websites, but for the reasons I mentioned are worth considering making your favorites.
  6. For many parts it is not necessary to buy aftermarket, and original used or rebuilt parts or parts you buy used and restore yourself often have superior quality, and this forum has for-sale sections. If you are a premium member you would be able to post parts for sale and post want-to-buy ads. Recommended. I went through a phase of buying aftermarket Chinese parts that would fall apart in my hands as I would put them on the truck, or last a couple months and crap out. Not recommended.
  7. National Carburetors is a vendor who sells new and rebuilt carburetors that are the exact replacement for the one on your truck, so if you get into yours and discover things like stripped threads, warped parts, worn bushings, etc. and you don't want to spend big bucks they can bail you out. Or they can provide you a carburetor that will let you continue to drive your truck while you really dig into your original carburetor.
  8. The original carburetors on our trucks came with a fuel filter holder built into the carburetor. I may be mistaken but that may include your carburetor and you can get rid of your plastic external filter and rubber hose, and return to an all-steel fuel line which would be less of a fire hazard. It is not hard to bend your own fuel line and flare the ends and install, or vendors such as Inline Tube have pre-bent metal lines. I personally don't recommend stainless steel as it is too hard and prone to leaks, but if you have a leak with one it may be dealt with using copper flare gaskets.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:25 AM   #20
jjzepplin

Welcome to the best site ever! I grew up in P-Town out on Tassajara before the houses went nuts out there. 6363 to be exact. There is a school there now. We had a bunch of these on the farm. In fact my Blazer was stored there in the 80's. Nice start. I always lik the feel of the all original 6 and three speed. Fun and reliable. I miss that area sometimes. Where are you at?
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:29 AM   #21
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Thumbs up Re: Purchased a 1969 C10 Short Bed - Pleasanton, CA

I'm going to dissent here. After having sudden death with a "high quality" aftermarket electronic distributor, I have switched back to points on my 1972 Cheyenne.

On Ebay, there are scores of NOS Delco points, condensers, caps and rotors to make your original distributor work as well as it did new. DO NOT use the currently available offshore electrical parts. They will leave you stranded, or offer overall poor performance.

Spark Plugs:

Rotor:

Condenser bracket:

Condenser:

Cap:

Vacuum Advance:

Complete wireset:

1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:16 AM   #22
HalfBrit

If you want to keep your distributor, but still upgrade, it's hard to go wrong with the Petronix kit. Successful installs on 3 vehicles over the years.
https://www.amazon.com/PerTronix-118...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
HalfBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:53 AM   #23
factorystock

From my experience, the 250 is a solid reliable engine. The biggest issue is usually a poorly performing carburetor, as Steeveedee mentioned ( dirt and gunk blocking orifice's and or accelerator pump in carb worn). Usually, a professional rebuilt carb does the trick, assuming your getting a fresh constant fuel supply from the tank. The other issue is the extra long intake-exhaust manifold which tends to warp over time, causing a vacuum leak where it attaches to cylinder head. Sometimes you get lucky and there just loose bolts and or intake-exhaust manifold gasket needs to be replaced. IMO, this issue is the main reason GM went to a head with integral intake-exhaust around 1975. The fully synchro 3 speed in '69 is a big improvement from the non synchro unit found in '67-68 6 cylinder pickups, it is actually fun to drive, gears are nicely placed. 3.73 ratio in rear are comfortable up to 60 mph, over that, your mpg start to drop significantly.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:56 AM   #24
D.B

Welcome and congrats on finding a nice-looking truck. It appears by the pics it is pretty straight. Looking forward to seeing what you do to it. As others have said - Please post as many pictures as you can so we all get to enjoy what you do to it.
D.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 01:32 PM   #25
Luke87gt

Thank you to everyone for all the help.

I have my tune up parts all selected but struggling to find a P/N for the Blue Streak Points for a ‘69 250. Is anyone able to help with that?

Thank you again.