The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
CoyoteCustoms

My 81 Sport truck rebuild

I have been putting off starting a build post for a while but I might as well get one started. First off, this forum is the BEST place to get information on these trucks. It is a big reason my truck is getting restored.

I need to give a back ground on this truck so I am sorry if I ramble too long. When I was in grade school, a guy across the street had a SWB Chevy truck that I thought was the coolest truck out there. I remember the sound of the engine, how cool the truck sat, and everything about it. The guy kept the truck prefectly clean all the time and I wanted a truck like it when I was old enough. When I was in the 8th grade we moved outside of town so I didnt get to see that truck anymore but I did get to begin building my first one. I built a 74 SWB with my Dad and learned how to weld and do alot of work myself. I kinda forgot about that old truck but one day my Dad said he needed another pick since the one I built was his old one. He told my Uncle who owns a Chevy dealership and they found him a cheap SWB. He brought it home and someone had tried to make it a 3/4 ton so we did some work to clean it up. I was 14 when he bought this truck. He drove it everyday until about 4 years ago when he gave it to me. The truck was pretty worn out by then so I started patching all the rust and changing some things around. I painted it flat black, put a lowering kit on it and put my shop name on the doors. I have been building motorcycles for the past 10 years. We put air ride on it for a while and just had some fun with it. I knew I would fully restore it one day but I just didnt have the time.

One day, my Dad was in town and ran into the guy that owned that truck I used to stare at every day. They talked for a while and put some missing links together and figured out that the truck I now owned was the exact truck I used to dream about. It was a 1981 Chevrolet Sport SWB. I was in shock and mad at myself for changing the truck from what it was.

Once I found this out I started my search online for information about the Sport Package. I stumbled on this site a few years ago and it helped me realize that I owned something pretty rare. My bike business was so busy I just checked here sometimes and looking through all these trucks made me decide to start this one up and make it what it should be.

I tore the truck down about a year ago and didnt have as much time as I thought to work on it. I sold part of my motorcycle business and now, I have the free time I need to do this truck right.

My plan for this truck is to restore it back to the Chevy Sport look but give it a few custom touches similar to what it had back when it was new. I am not real big on prefect restorations because I think every car or motorcycle should match in the individual.

I took the new frame and put my air ride back on the front for the adjustability and smoother ride. I flipped the rear and for right now I am leaving off the air ride. I might add it later but right now a C-notch with good shocks is kinda the look I want. I am taking the body off my old truck and putting on this new frame and in the process I am repainting, powdercoating, and restoring all the pieces along the way.

Here are my pics so far and sorry for the long winded story.

Here is the truck when I got it.
[IMG][/IMG]

Got all the rust out of it and got it ready for some flat black.
[IMG][/IMG]

I drove it this way for a while. I planned on restoring it anyway so I thought, lets have some fun with it.
[IMG][/IMG]

And we had alot of fun with it. This is what I normally build. I sponsored a bike show so we used the truck to sell T-Shirts out of.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is how it sits now waiting to be transformed. I now have the front clip off and the engine pulled getting it back to looking good. We are painting the inner fenders, firewall, and core gloss black. Our new bike shop is the set up for restoring cars. My business partner has a few things we are going to build down the road.
[IMG][/IMG]

I hated the blue interior from day one with the black and silver paint. I seat guy is recovering the factory bench with a graphite gray leather and we are dyeing all the parts to match. I might use a hounds tooth pattern in the seat similar to the 69SS Camaro.
[IMG][/IMG]

This is the parts truck I bought to help with my restore. $200
[IMG][/IMG]

I bagged the front, flipped the rear and got all the stuff off I didnt want.

Since its going to be a driver, I stripped all the rust off the frame and painted it with some Heavy Equipment gloss black so I can touch it up easily when needed. This paint works well if you prep the parts correctly.

I think I will have this done by the Summer 2010 but I am not rushing it. I want it to be cool and functional. I don't mean this to sound cheesy but this forum has been a big inspiration to make this truck new again. I have been on here for 2 years trying to figure out how I want this to look in the end.

I am going back with the factory paint, black on top and silver on bottom. I found the original blue stripe it had on it on the inside of the driver door so I will be putting that back on it. I am trying to find out if it said Chevy Sport on the stripe over the rear wheel but I have not found anything yet. I know some of them did. The engine was updated to a 87 TBI 350 so I am keeping that but giving it a fresh look. The wheels I am still up in the air about. I would like 20" Coys or something like those but I think 18" or 17" wheels would fit the style of this truck better. Opinions on any of this would be great. I went to the salvage yard today and was able to pull an original grill in good shape, prefect set of sport mirrors, and a set of black seat belts to go with my new color. A few months ago I found a brand new sport rear bumper and a Chevy Sport hood ornament from an 82 model.

Thanks again guys and I will keep you posted.

Jason
CoyoteCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Re: My 81 Sport truck rebuild

Nice idea for a tshirt booth. bgrafx
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Very cool Jason!
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
menace121978

nice story...

good luck on your build Jason. looking forward to seeing updates and the end result buddy.

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
JohnC

Great to see your thread started for this truck. That's a great back story, and I'm sure the truck will turn out amazing from the looks of those bikes!

I like the 20" wheels, but I also like the smaller wheel look too. I like the look of a little more tire on there. Either way I think it would work. The great thing about a larger wheel is even on a pure stock truck they work.

Subscribed.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Looks like your off to a good start...again. The frame looks great all cleaned up. You should go ahead with the C-notch now. If you don't you will kick yourself later.

I love the idea of retaining the stock "Chevy Sport" theme. It would look awesome with the factory two tone and sport strips dropped over a set of 20" Coys.

Keep the progress reports coming.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 11-28-2009 at 11:49 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Looking at the two tone pics again, I am wondering if it was a "Street Coupe" rather than a "Chevy Sport"

Have you checked the glove box for option codes?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #8
CoyoteCustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Looks like your off to a good start...again. The frame looks great all cleaned up. You should go ahead with the C-notch now. If you don't you will kick yourself later.

I love the idea of retaining the stock "Chevy Sport" theme. It would look awesome with the factory two tone and sport strips dropped over a set of 20" Coys.

Keep the progress reports coming.
I did the notch on it last week. I couldn't do it at the shop in the pictures because I didn't have my welders there. I tried that once before without the Cnotch. When you throw a bike in the back of the truck it is useless.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
CoyoteCustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Looking at the two tone pics again, I am wondering if it was a "Street Coupe" rather than a "Chevy Sport"

Have you checked the glove box for option codes?

I checked the glove box but the sheet is gone. Correct me if I am wrong, and you guys know more than I do, but I think the Street Coupe was the GMC option and the Sport was the Chevy option. I found a junk 81 sport on craiglist that is trashed so I may go look at it and try and get some parts I might need.

Thanks for checking out my build. I will keep the updates coming.

Jason
Old 12-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #10
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

cool build
Old 12-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
truckfan

Thumbs up Re: My 81 Sport truck rebuild

lurking.....
Old 12-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
CoyoteCustoms

Here is a small update on my project. With Christmas around the corner I have not had the time I would like to work on this. I am building part of this truck in my old shop because I am trying to keep my Dad active doing something. He retired recently and has gotten a little lazy. The other part of the build will be done in my new shop. I will be getting the frame done, motor in place, and all the plumbing ran then taking the truck to my new shop to put it all back together. I know kinda confusing.

I took the engine out of the original Sport truck and hauled it down to my shop where the new frame is waiting. The engine is a 5.7 TBI 350 that was rebuilt about 6 months before I started driving the truck. It runs really good, it just looked like a 20 year old engine. I want to keep it somewhat stock looking under the hood and I know this year had a black engine but I could not leave it that way. I went with the classic Chevy orange. I got a few chrome parts for under the hood just for a little bling but I am mostly looking to keep it simple.

So, here is the engine after a good steam bath and a few coats of engine paint. I took the manifold off and cleaned it up and painted it with some bright aluminum paint. The transmission got the same color.

Next week I should be able to get the engine in the new frame and start running all my lines for the air ride, brakes, and fuel. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 12-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #13
JohnC

Great minds think alike. I just painted the engine for my truck Orange too. There is just something about an orange motor!
Old 01-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
CoyoteCustoms

I have not had much time to work on the truck during the holidays but I did get the engine in the new frame. I can finally get this truck into my bike shop and start getting the body back on this truck.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #15
JohnC

Looks sweet man!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #16
CoyoteCustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Looks sweet man!
Thanks John. Its coming along slowly. Is there going to be an Oklahoma meet this year? I need a deadline date I think to get me going.

Jason
Old 01-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
JohnC

Yeah there is going to be one. The progress on it got slowed down due to the holidays. We are looking at the weekend of May 15th. Check out the link in my sig for more info.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #18
joe231

I'm in on this one!
looks like a sweet build!
The Okies just keep coming out of the wood work
Old 01-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #19
JohnC

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
I'm in on this one!
looks like a sweet build!
The Okies just keep coming out of the wood work
And building sweet trucks too!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #20
scotts62
One day...

Yeah we linger around a bit

Welcome man! (well again, looks like you've been around longer than me ) from well you can see!

93 crew cab build
Project 62

Last edited by scotts62; 01-08-2010 at 10:27 PM.
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #21
CoyoteCustoms

Smile Re: My 81 Sport truck rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts62 View Post
Yeah we linger around a bit

Welcome man! (well again, looks like you've been around longer than me ) from well you can see!
Thanks for the welcome. I was mostly a lurker for a while so you have been around more than me!!

I am going to try and get busy on the truck this week. I am building a bike right now too so my time keeps getting split.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #22
JohnC

Yeah funny thing about being a lurker. I originally found this site right when it first got going. I remember looking at it when I had my old 84. I don't know that I ever created a userid, and just looked at the different threads and pics mostly. Then low and behold here I am a few years later, and am addicted like no other.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #23
scotts62
One day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteCustoms View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I was mostly a lurker for a while so you have been around more than me!!

I am going to try and get busy on the truck this week. I am building a bike right now too so my time keeps getting split.
Yeah i hear you there.. i have too many right now too

When/if i get my trans back together im going to clear out the garage and work on the 62 so i dont go to the meet and people b@#$h about what i havent done

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #24
JohnC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts62 View Post
Yeah i hear you there.. i have too many right now too

When/if i get my trans back together im going to clear out the garage and work on the 62 so i dont go to the meet and people b@#$h about what i havent done
We'll do that anyway!