The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2022, 10:36 AM   #26
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Starter brace for 350 SBC

I got mine on a bit ago, got the Starter Brace Mount from Summit (a Chevrolet Performance 3965589) and I got the Starter Brace Mount Bolt off eBay. Fit perfectly! I have to say, getting that bolt onto block isn't easy with the exhaust all hooked up. I was able to get maybe 1/2 turn with my wrench. Now getting off the started has been made into a real ***** next time.

Hopefully the brace will help (and my outer shims) me... twice since December I have to unbolt the starter and just put it back on, as it started grinding something god awful.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 01-18-2022 at 10:41 AM.
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:02 PM   #27
pjmoreland

I was not aware of the existence of this part until I saw this thread. Got that same one as you, Richard, from Summit as well.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:08 PM   #28
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

It is supposed to be important and also the most thrown away part too.

I was struggling getting my starter to behave, so I gave up and took it to a "starter shop" that was recommended by my general mech shop. It's happy now (or at least the truck hasn't stop starting) but the Starter Mech was like, "I can't believe you have that brace - they are never there! They are such a PITA!!". I was like ya, it wasn't fun getting on at all!

Edit: I see you don't have your manifolds on or it seems that way. With the Ram horns / tail pipe installed, I was only able to get like 1/4~1/2 turn and had to keep flipping my wrench! I am telling you, it took FOREVER to get that bolt on the block tighten down for me ;-)

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:12 PM   #29
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
It is supposed to be important and also the most thrown away part too.

I was struggling getting my starter to behave, so I gave up and took it to a "starter shop" that was recommended by my general mech shop. It's happy now (or at least the truck hasn't stop starting) but the Starter Mech was like, "I can't believe you have that brace - they are never there! They are such a PITA!!". I was like ya, it wasn't fun getting on at all!

Edit: I see you don't have your manifolds on or it seems that way. With the Ram horns, I was only able to get like 1/4 turn and had to keep flipping my wrench! I am telling you, it took FOREVER to get that bolt on the block tighten down for me ;-)
Fortunately for me I was able to install it before the headers were in place, so it was a piece of cake. I could see it being a real pain with everything else installed.
Old 02-16-2022, 03:42 PM   #30
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I have removed a bunch of those over the years as they tend to be a pain in the rear to reinstall when changing out a starter. I have about 4 of them in a parts bin somewhere.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:50 PM   #31
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I have removed a bunch of those over the years as they tend to be a pain in the rear to reinstall when changing out a starter. I have about 4 of them in a parts bin somewhere.

Gary
I hear ya. I got some kind of strange satisfaction from installing that bracket though. That, and replacing all of the missing screws some PO didn't think were worth his time to install in the inner fenders.
Old 02-16-2022, 03:52 PM   #32
zicc1835

Subd
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote