The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
jim-bob

Rack & Pinion Advice

Some people go with it and some don't..I need to know if there are any reasons why not to go with a power Rack & Pinion if you're having to install all new stuff concerning the steering anyway. I've gotta get a new steering column, new power gear box (or rack & pinion)..all new suspension and etc.
Thanks..
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
jim-bob

Re: Rack & Pinion Advice

...aw..come on folks..Rack & pinion eliminates the steering box right? And I'm not too sure what a good ratio is..say if you have a 14:1 gear ratio, what is turning 14 turns while the steering wheel is turning 1 complete turn..hate to sound like a dummy but I can't figure out the best or shortest turning ratios..
I want a ratio so I don't have to turn a 14"-15" steering wheel as many times..
Sorry if I not making good since!
Old 09-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
boostedc10

Just to give you a little feedback and hopefully answer part of your question. A steering ratio is the number of degrees the wheel turns per 360 degrees of the steering wheel. The higher the ratio the less the wheel will turn per 360 rotation of the steering wheel. A 14:1 steering ratio will turn the wheels approximately 25.7 degrees per each 360 of the wheel (360/25.7 = 14:1). A 12:1 will turn the wheel 30 degrees per 360 degrees of the steering wheel. There are a few companies that make kits for rack and pinions like No Limit but they are pricey (about $1000).

Instagram: DRVFSTR

Current Project: Beatrix - 1967 SWB LQ4/78mm Turbo/4L80e/ on bags

Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634691
boostedc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #4
slowcpe

This is an area I researched to death last year. My steering box leaked and had it in my head I had to have rack and pinion. Its definitely not an inexpensive option and can result in your project to take a major turn . I looked at the Unisteer kit, NoLimit's, Porterbuilt dropmembers, and NoLimit's wide ride. I even did a cost analysis to help make up my mind I decided on the PB Level 1 Dropmember.

Basically what it boils down is what you are wanting to accomplish and how much you are willing to spend. I'm going for an old truck with modern suspension. It all started with wanting R&P and new control arms, which led to spending a little more for the DM, etc. Now its better brakes and shocks. Had I replaced my steering box I could be close to driving my truck by now
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
boostedc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
This is an area I researched to death last year. My steering box leaked and had it in my head I had to have rack and pinion. Its definitely not an inexpensive option and can result in your project to take a major turn . I looked at the Unisteer kit, NoLimit's, Porterbuilt dropmembers, and NoLimit's wide ride. I even did a cost analysis to help make up my mind I decided on the PB Level 1 Dropmember.

Basically what it boils down is what you are wanting to accomplish and how much you are willing to spend. I'm going for an old truck with modern suspension. It all started with wanting R&P and new control arms, which led to spending a little more for the DM, etc. Now its better brakes and shocks. Had I replaced my steering box I could be close to driving my truck by now
Lol looks like a lot of us start with "I'm just going to replace a few parts" to "Wow, what happened to all my money!"

Old 09-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
jim-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedc10 View Post
Just to give you a little feedback and hopefully answer part of your question. A steering ratio is the number of degrees the wheel turns per 360 degrees of the steering wheel. The higher the ratio the less the wheel will turn per 360 rotation of the steering wheel. A 14:1 steering ratio will turn the wheels approximately 25.7 degrees per each 360 of the wheel (360/25.7 = 14:1). A 12:1 will turn the wheel 30 degrees per 360 degrees of the steering wheel. There are a few companies that make kits for rack and pinions like No Limit but they are pricey (about $1000).
..Wow..never would have thunk it to be that far over my head This has help greatly to know the ratio meaning. Since I'm on a roll here let me posed this: So the greater the ratio, say 20:1 meaning it's gonna take more turns of the steering wheel to get the wheels to turn than it would take a 12:1 right?..so why are the reasons, in your opinion(or anyone else reading this), would someone buy one over the other?
I really appreciate your reply..Thanks!
Old 09-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
jim-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post

..Thanks Ryan, I'm going for the same..I'm wanting to leave outside in it's patina for awhile and want to do the same as your thinking..I'm gonna look into your build and steal some of your ideas metal:

Last edited by jim-bob; 09-04-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #8
boostedc10

A higher ratio requires less effort to turn. Lower ratio is a faster response.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #9
Xeen

Quote:
Lol looks like a lot of us start with "I'm just going to replace a few parts" to "Wow, what happened to all my money!"
I know that's right!
Old 09-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #10
indymachinist

A steering box system in good repair is fine for most things. If all your stuff needs replaced you will still likely be cheaper to just replace it then dig in deep and swap in a steering rack system.

IMO, for average joe the only reason to swap in a steering rack is because you want to, not because a steering box is inadequate for even performance street driving.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #11
boostedc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
I know that's right!
Haha Xeen I know you do for sure!

Old 09-04-2015, 09:12 PM   #12
slowcpe

Quote:
No truer words have ever been spoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bob View Post
..Thanks Ryan, I'm going for the same..I'm wanting to leave outside in it's patina for awhile and want to do the same as your thinking..I'm gonna look into your build and steal some of your ideas metal:
Not many ideas in my build. Just a display of my lack of ability to make decisions. Progress should pick up shortly.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote