The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #1
Flmarine71

Stock Air Cleaner Clearance with Edelbrock Carb

The PO of my 78 K5 Blazer decided to slice up the air cleaner to clear the fuel line housing on carb instead of using an air cleaner spacer. I am going to get an Edelbrock 8092 spacer but my question is do I need to be worried about patching this hole up for air flow? Thanks.
Attached Images

Flmarine71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Stock Air Cleaner Clearance with Edelbrock Carb

another alternative and the way I ended up going rather than a spacer is a flat air cleaner base, see how yours is dished, I like the flat ones because not only does the air cleaner sit higher and clear things, but you can actually see the carb

well short answer to your question would have been yes close it up especially the part that is inside the air cleaner element as the tiniest of particles will wreak havoc on the internals of your carb especially the float bowls and needles
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
Flmarine71

Thanks Gregski!
Old 07-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
Dead Parrot

I was able to fit a stock air cleaner to the same type carb by putting a dab of paint on the banjo fitting, seating the cleaner, then using a punch to indent the cleaner where the paint was. Doesn't take much. Maybe a 3/4" wide dent about a 1/4" or so deep. On mine, the dent is on the outside of the air filter ring.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #5
Flmarine71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
I was able to fit a stock air cleaner to the same type carb by putting a dab of paint on the banjo fitting, seating the cleaner, then using a punch to indent the cleaner where the paint was. Doesn't take much. Maybe a 3/4" wide dent about a 1/4" or so deep. On mine, the dent is on the outside of the air filter ring.
That's a good idea- thanks. The carb heat insulator gasket I put on a while ago has already changed the angle of my metal breather tube from cleaner to valve cover to where it is difficult to keep on. Another inch from an air cleaner spacer and I'll probably need to find a fix for that too- ha, it seems everything I fix creates 2 more problems.