The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
Bruce88

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
Are the spare tire mounts the same from a 55 first series pick up the same as the ones you are showing?
There are two left over ones on the shelf and one drivers side fender from some builds past.
Thanks for the canister info, as I need one for my LSx transplant and this info will be very helpful for my EEC system

Hi solidaxel
I do not know that the 1955 pickup spare tire mounts are the same as the 1967 – 1972 spare tire mounts. You didn’t say if it’s for a short or long bed, the long bed mount is different from the short bed. The only way you might tell is to break out a tape measure and compare the different years to each other. See post #786 on http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...318544&page=32

Glad you found the canister info helpful, Remember that is just a basic EEC setup that was used in 1972 trucks as they went forward in years they just got more complicated with additional items added, the added items are not essential for an operative system but are sometimes needed for a computer controlled engine.

Good luck
Bruce
Old 02-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
solidaxel

Thanks!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
Bruce88

Hine sight is 20/20

If I had known that there had been so much interest in some of the things that I did to my truck I would have put more information into the posts on this build thread. One of the items was the spark plug wire looms, it seems every few months I receive a question about this installation by privet message or posted on this build thread. What I hope this post will do is bring together most of the information for those that are interested and layout how I approach bringing things together to get the look and function I want. I must be crazy to think I can do this, but I’ll try (smile).

First I would like to help everybody with their build, but I’m not there and don’t know what your end goal is, or your total engine/truck configuration. Your there and the only one that can make the decision on if the parts will work with your setup or if modification may be necessary to make it work or maybe you just need a different part altogether. Yes I’ve made the mistake in the past and on this build and it will probably happen in the future (buying a part that I decided not to use), I just try to hold it to a minimum. My personal opinion is if I take a part out of its package I bought it and will not return it unless it’s broken from the factory or due to shipping.

First you see a setup in a picture/catalog or maybe just in your mines eye. Then the question where do I buy that? Yes we all just want to buy one kit and install it and be done with it. I’ve found over time that one kit doesn’t have all the parts that I want or need for the look or function I want. Maybe it’s what I consider a simple thing like, panting, using a shorter/longer or stile of bolt, making an additional bracket, adding additional parts, all to achieve my end goal/look/function. So I should apologize for possibly some misleading posts where a part number is listed, you should look at the part numbers listed as the base item that I started with and then made modifications to fit my needs. Very few kits I just installed out of the box without some modifications, some with minor changes and others with major changes.

The spark plug wire looms fall into the category that the kit listed will not have all the parts seen on my installation, yes modifications have been made by me and will probably be needed by you to meet your installation requirements. For those interested in this installation please take a look back on this build to see posts concerning my attempts to answer questions (see links below) (my attempt to bring it all together)

First seen on this build and some parts listed Page 1 (post #7) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=318544

First attempt to answer a question Page 5 (post #101) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=318544&page=5

Another question Page 12 (post #297 - 300) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...318544&page=12

Will it work with a different configuration Page 32 (post #794 – 796) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...318544&page=32

I’ve received some Privet Messages that I did not include the answers in the build thread but might be of help to some in their build in regards to this installation. Names have been removed to protect the innocent (smile). Here are some of the questions and my answers.

Privet Message Question
Can you send me a web link for the ENOS CUSTOM COMPONENTS catalog? I cannot find it on their site.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just checked the home page for (Enos Custom Components) http://enoscustom.com/index.html they use to have a link on the bottom of the page to download a catalog on this page, the link is no longer there. I did find their (Adobe Acrobat) PDF file catalog on the internet at http://enoscustom.com/images/enos_custom_catalog.pdf . I hope they’re not going out of business, they’ve been around for a long time and I’ve always had good service from them but they’ve never been that web savvy they usually deal primarily over the phone. You might want to give them a call to see if their still in business and if they have an updated catalog.

Privet Message Question
RNM-1101S - R&M billet wire looms
Question about the four wire separators you used on the rear of the engine. They look just like the ones in the kit but I can't find a part number for them... Can I buy them separate from the loom?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’ve had this question before and I made my attempt to answer it on my build thread page 5 (post #101) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=318544&page=5. I’m not sure if ENOS Custom Components is still in business their web site shows very little and you would have to call them to see.
If you go to R&M Specialties web site http://www.rmspecialties.com/ they say that (Accessory 4-hole plug wire clamp – black only) is part number A-200. On their web (where to buy) they list a number of different places to buy their parts. Another one of the places other than ENOS is Summit Racing and the A200 is on their web site for $16.97 for a pair.

Privet Message Question
Separator bracket for plug wires
I am getting ready to start making the separator brackets that you posted. I have a couple of questions if you have time.. It looks like the bracket is 1 inch where it mounts to the block and narrows as it goes up.. If you have time I would like to get the measurements on you brackets.. (From the bottom to the first 45 and then second and the overall length.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can’t get back to the standoffs to take measurements, and I’m not going to take things apart to obtain them. When I make things like this I start with a cardboard mock up and eyeball a lot of it to determine the jog all and then determine how high the wire block needs to be to clear everything I want to clear and how high the block will need to be. The cardboard mock up saves time and wasting metal creating them out of metal. Yes the bottom area of the bracket appears to be about 1 inch square before the first bend, the upper end of the bracket appears to be 1/8 to ¼ inch wider than the block and the taper between the lower area and the upper area is done in the middle area. Once I have the cardboard mockup made I transfer the pattern on the metal cut it out and sand to finish as well as drill the mounting holes. Most of the sanding to final size is done by eye holding close to the mockup but not exact except the hole locations need to be right. Only you can determine the size that you need to clear things on your engine, every engine configuration can be different and thing you need to clear. Save yourself time and make your cardboard mockup as close as possible, you don’t want to make it out of metal to find out it doesn’t fit or work. I would just say that my pictures of the brackets are just a general guide and they fit my engine configuration and not necessarily yours.

Hope this helps you out their not that hard to make, it just takes you paying attention to what your engine needs to clear things and the desired look you want.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where to buy parts is always changing, parts discontinued, companies out of business, best price today, and so on. As far as all the part numbers listed in this build thread you should treat them as a base that I started with and probably made some minor or major modifications to. I look at it as at least a starting point for you to build a pound for your build if you want to do something similar. You’re going to have to build your own locations of where to get your parts from your local area and on the web. This includes the simple items such as nuts and bolts, raw stock metal for brackets, and so on. I have way too many places that I use to list and some are just local and not available in your area. A good starting point is the manufacture of the kit/part if they have a web site and start building from there.

I hope this post helps in your build and understanding the information that I’ve included in many of the posts on this build thread.

Enjoy your build
Bruce
Old 04-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
mcm1209

Didn't exactly read through the whole thread but I'm working on a 67 frame off and looked at all your chassis discussions. Needles to say, you sir did a job that only a few shops would do. The attention to detail is insane

Thanks for the thread and i know I will find myself on this thread countless times.

I would disagree with you on the high end shows. I don't see why this truck would not fair well in any show.
mcm1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
mewddsltd

Great build thread...thanks for all of the information

Build threads like this make it easier for the rest of us...especially like that you stayed with Gen I SBC...although the Gen III/IV engines are great I think the Gen I has proven itself AND can have almost all of the modern enhancements seen in the Gen III's and IV's
Old 12-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
gdavis

Going back to page one. I like the wire holders, where did you buy them, or are they home made? I need a set just like them. If you made them How about doing a set for me. Or are they a lot of time involved.

Cars I owned in the past.
1962 chev II Nova - 1965 Chevelle SS - (2)1966 Chevelle SS 1965 chev C10 57 belair chev
1967 Chevelle SS - 1969 Chevelle SS - 1972 Chevelle SS

1967 Buick electra 225 1995 Harley Davidson bager

What does not kill you will make you stronger

1968 c10 short wheel base stepper
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
Bruce88

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
Going back to page one. I like the wire holders, where did you buy them, or are they home made? I need a set just like them. If you made them How about doing a set for me. Or are they a lot of time involved.
Hi gdavis

The parts for the wire holders can be bought and some of the brackets need to be made to fit your engine setup. All the information and aid to help you build your own set of wire holders that I have can be found on page 33 of this build post #810

Hope this helps you out
Enjoy your build
Bruce
Old 12-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
gdavis

thanks for answering my question on the wire looms. I will contact the distributor here in Florida

Cars I owned in the past.
1962 chev II Nova - 1965 Chevelle SS - (2)1966 Chevelle SS 1965 chev C10 57 belair chev
1967 Chevelle SS - 1969 Chevelle SS - 1972 Chevelle SS

1967 Buick electra 225 1995 Harley Davidson bager

What does not kill you will make you stronger

1968 c10 short wheel base stepper
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
67chevemall

WOW, what a truck! Great Job! Didnt get a thing done at work today! What a great read that was!
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #10
BrianG

This would sure make a nice book. Your attention to detail is amazing, and the information contained in this thread alone is amazing. Thanks again for taking the time to put this together and continuing to update it from time to time.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:43 PM   #11
LDO

Here is my clumsy attempt at duplicating your plug wire separators. Hanging on a hook after some DEI Silver high temp paint, waiting for satin clear.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Attached Images

LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:17 PM   #12
Bruce88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO View Post
Here is my clumsy attempt at duplicating your plug wire separators. Hanging on a hook after some DEI Silver high temp paint, waiting for satin clear.

Thanks for the inspiration.
You are more than welcome LDO

Sometimes it’s the small things that I make to finish off an installation like brackets and such that I know it makes everything work. Each installation may require slightly different parts and this is where customizing it to your needs falls. Hope your wiring brackets that you’re making are just the finishing touch that works for you.

You have some nice build threads, keep up the good work
Enjoy your build
Old 05-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #13
LDO

Thank you sir. Coming from you, that means alot to me....
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #14
Bruce88

Storage Area

After moving the gas tank from behind the seat
What do you do with the open area now?

The area is somewhat small, not flat, and almost anything that you put back there slides side to side or finds its way under the seat or in the sloped corner areas. I’ve been looking at this area for some time and wondering what I could do?

I didn’t want to drill any additional holes in the cab, just use existing fastener holes. I did make a small bracket to mount the small air compressor for my air shocks in the passenger side sloped area that I did some time ago on the build, I’m not going to change the compressor bracket and is the reason the bracket/frame I designed does not go all the way over to the passenger side corner. I’m primarily going to use the boxes I made for tie down straps, trailer hitch ball, and scissor jack storage.

Material I used to make the bracket/frame and boxes
2 inch X 1/8 inch Aluminum bar for forward bracket/frame legs and brace between forward and aft angles
1 inch X 1 inch X 1/8 thick Aluminum angle for forward edge of bracket/frame and corners of the boxes
1.5 inch X 1.5 inch X 1/8 thick Aluminum angle for aft edge of bracket/frame and aft legs
.025 thick Aluminum sheet for the boxes
3/16 blind rivets 1/8 & ¼ inch grip length
¼ - 20 X 1 inch bolts and rivnuts for box mounting bolts to bracket/frame
5/16 – 18 X 1 inch bolts for mounting bolts to floor (old gas tank lower fastener holes)
¼ inch thick rubber for cushion on aft legs
I had some tool box liner mat that I put in the bottom of the boxes to minimize any rattling and sliding in the boxes

I’m not going to give any exact measurements concerning the bracket/frame or boxes. Because each truck could be a little different plus different seats that could be used. It’s kind of build to fit your needs bracket/frame and boxes. So if you like the concept and want to make your own you will need to break out your tape measure and build to your truck (smile).

Here are some pictures of the bracket/frame and boxes from different angles out of the truck.

Name:  storage area 1.jpg
Views: 2659
Size:  91.3 KB

Best pictures I could get with the bracket/frame installed, seat moved forward for access and viewing.

Name:  storage area 2.jpg
Views: 2638
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  storage area 3.jpg
Views: 2618
Size:  98.1 KB

Best pictures I could get with the boxes installed on the bracket/frame, seat moved all the way aft to its normal driving location.

Name:  storage area 4.jpg
Views: 2624
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  storage area 5.jpg
Views: 2587
Size:  81.0 KB

Enjoy your build
Old 06-21-2015, 11:06 PM   #15
88Stanger

Thank you for this write up!!!
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #16
crakarjax

Thanks for the detailed build Bruce, I always enjoy seeing how people accomplish things; it gets me motivated and thinking about my own build! Nice meeting you the other day and thanks for the practice doors
Old 03-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #17
72peace

Phenomenal build, don't want to lose this one. ttt

Cheers,
72peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #18
El Dorado Jim

great job on your truck!!!!
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:52 PM   #19
KMAT

Look great. Why does the rear brake lines have to run down pass. Side of frame rail? Wouldnt driver side be shorter distance?
KMAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:14 PM   #20
dracko

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMAT View Post
Look great. Why does the rear brake lines have to run down pass. Side of frame rail? Wouldnt driver side be shorter distance?
You could customize any route but at the rear PS there’s a junction block fitting in the frame and the stock lines on the diff are set up to take line from the PS. So it’s easier.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:49 PM   #21
LT7A

Hey Bruce, it does not look like you have been on the site for quite some time. I hope things are well and that you are enjoying your truck immensely. I'm so glad that I discovered this thread and I read it avidly over a period of days.

I think some folks get caught up in trying to replicate what you did. I understand that because it's outstanding. For me, the approach that you took and your efforts to research and simplify things are great teachers.

We're nearly neighbors, and I will be watching for your truck. I hope to see it and meet you sometime. Thank you for all the effort that you put into documenting your build process.

PS, I'd also like to hear more about the Volvo with the 327!

Take care, and may your road be as straight or as twisty as you wish, and may your small block Chevy get you down that road at whatever speed makes you happy.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:24 AM   #22
BLP1969

How do I subscribe?
BLP1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:51 AM   #23
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLP1969 View Post
How do I subscribe?
Once you post in a 'thread' it typically will populate your page when you first log-in to the site (if there were any additional posts)
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote