The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
drillingmachine
Married to my Truck

Lopesided Suspension problem

My '89 suburban's rear passenger suspension is higher than the rest of the wheel well areas for some reason, I can't fiqure out why. The back leaf springs have the same amount of springs(5). I first figured this out looking at the front of the truck a while back, the driver side looked like it was lower than the other. I didn't think anything of it, I thought it was the driveway not being level. Then when I lowered the front 3 inches and the back 2(this was done because most suburbans are known to have that sagging ass look) that wheel well did not make too much of a difference, the lowering went well with all the other wheels but not that one. Can anybody tell me what the hell is going on?
drillingmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: Lopesided Suspension problem

I wouldn't focus attention to the body/tire relationship a ride height issue. I know that's what your eyes are drawn to and notice, but it can be something other than the suspension.

You could have a slight frame tweak or wiped out body bushings or a weight issue. I would first confirm if you have a spring issue or not. By taking some spring measurements to measure deflection you can tell if you got a weak spring or not. This might be hard with a lowered Sub but you could with 4 drive on ramps so the trucks weight is still on the tires/suspension. I'd suggest using a floor jack to get the truck up and slide the ramps under one end at a time. Once the Sub is up where you can slide under it, heres how to take some deflection measurements. On the front, Find the bumpstop on the lower control arm. Then look up and see where the bumpstop would touch if you hit full compression. What you want to do is take a tape measure and measuere down from where the bumpstop would touch to the metal just next to the bumpstop. You don't want to measure to the bumpstop itself as they might not be the same height and could skew your reading. What you are looking for is a measurement that is equal or close to it side to side. In the rear you can measure from the frame down to the top of the axle tube on each side.

If your measurements are equal or close (1/16th or an 1/8th of an inch) start looking at the body mounts. You might have one crushed on the opposite side of the one you see is higher than the others.

If the springs look equal and the body mounts arent trashed, I'd get it back on the ground and take some frame to ground measurements. Take them in the same spots side to side from the front to the back. The ground would need to be as level as possible, but again your just making side to side comparisons so as long as you don't have some side slope to the driveway or floor for drainage you should be ok. The frame to ground measurement is really basic but if there is a tweak you might be able to catch it. If you see some differences you might want to let a body shop with a frame bench take some more detailed measurements.

Last edited by Zoomad75; 01-04-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
redneckgirl

I moved this to suspension so that hopefully you'll get more of a response.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I had to shim the LH rear spring stack on a Ranger(I think due to the gas tank being on that side), caused some droop on the spring over the yrs. at any rate, a 3/8 flat steel spacer , bolted to the bottom of the spring stack added just about 1" height @ the fender lip. CrazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
XXL
Seņor Member

Could just be the classic 'Chevy Lean' ... which isn't really easy to spot on stock trucks because they're so far from the ground. If all the frame measurements are good (or you have no reason to suspect a damaged frame), you'll just have to fake it with shimming something to get it level... or live with the 'Chevy Lean.'
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
drillingmachine
Married to my Truck

thanks for taking the time zoomad. I measured from frame to top of axle tube and there is a 1/2 inch difference in height. I also took measurement of the shocks and the one shock on the higher side was about 3 inches more extended than the other, which is about the amount that side is higher. Could it be a locked shock problem?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drillingmachine View Post
thanks for taking the time zoomad. I measured from frame to top of axle tube and there is a 1/2 inch difference in height. I also took measurement of the shocks and the one shock on the higher side was about 3 inches more extended than the other, which is about the amount that side is higher. Could it be a locked shock problem?
I'd like to predict that the PASSENGER side is the one that is lower.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:17 AM   #8
duane67c-10

i had a little nissan truck that the passenger side wheels stuck out an inch more than the drivers side, i never noticed until i put wheel on it and lowered it, then i talked to another guy who had a lower one to and he had the same problem. mabe its just a factory thing. ??
duane67c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:41 AM   #9
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL View Post
I'd like to predict that the PASSENGER side is the one that is lower.
Wow your good, and this post isn't even about my truck
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
drillingmachine
Married to my Truck

What if I took out the bottom shortest leaf spring and used a stiffer shock on that side? That leaf spring is an inch thick at the U-bolt mounting. Would there be any problems?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:11 AM   #11
drillingmachine
Married to my Truck

ttt