The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
TooT

2 knob in dash cassette deck?

Howdy everybody. i wanna put a radio in the 69 but dont wanna cut the dash. what is everybody using for a stereo? i'd like to find the old pioneer supertuner cassette deck to put in it but they are hard to find. whats everybody recommend? thanks!
TooT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
72step

Re: 2 knob in dash cassette deck?

You can probably find a custom fit stereo through Custom Auto Sound, but it won't have a cassette player for 200 and change. You can opt for the stereo/CD changer combo, that will set you back 479.

http://customautosound.com/

They're not exactly cheap, and I've heard through other sources that they are not the best in sound quality by today's standards. If you want quality, get a standard din stereo and custom fit it inside the glove box. It all depends what you want.
72step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
TooT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72step View Post
You can probably find a custom fit stereo through Custom Auto Sound, but it won't have a cassette player for 200 and change. You can opt for the stereo/CD changer combo, that will set you back 479.

http://customautosound.com/

They're not exactly cheap, and I've heard through other sources that they are not the best in sound quality by today's standards. If you want quality, get a standard din stereo and custom fit it inside the glove box. It all depends what you want.
yeah i didnt wanna spend that kind of money on one....just something cheap that works so i wont have to cut the dash
TooT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I`ve put standard in-dash am/fm/cassettes in these trucks for years.I guess they don`t make them anymore.I just pull them from old trucks when I see them.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Don't be a wimp, cut yer dash. Just kidding. Might try E-bay for a cassette player.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
70cst

Geeeee...I have an "Automatic" brand AM/FM Cassette player that is suppose to work for these trucks. The shafts adjust from left to right about 1/4" or so. It was reburbished and is suppose to be ready to go. I bought it for my truck a number of years ago and then decided to go with the factory AM/FM radio with a GM 8 track. A friend of mine has it and was going to put in on ebay. I have no idea what it is worth. But as been said...ebay would be a good place to find your radio but you got to be sure the shafts will fit. If you went this way you will need to either go with a dual cone front speaker or install a set of kick panel speakers. Good Luck.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 11-09-2008 at 04:37 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
moon

I bought CS1140 (without cassette) but have not installed it. The bench test I did indicates it is a plenty good sounding system.

They are on sale right now...

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/products.asp?dept=1022
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #8
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I bought CS1140 (without cassette) but have not installed it. The bench test I did indicates it is a plenty good sounding system. They are on sale right now...
http://www.brotherstrucks.com/products.asp?dept=1022

But one must remember the sound will be directly connnected to the speakers etc. Unless one is willing to "cut" into the kick panels or doors the quality will be very limited. If cuting doesn't bother one...then the skys the limit. Remember...when these trucks were built...radio sound quality was not an issue. JFYI.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
cparman
sharp as a marble

I installed a RETROSOUND unit in one of my customers 71 Blazer a couple of months ago. Looked good in, and is not a cassette, but has IPOD, and USB capabilities. IF you do not want to hack the dash, I think this is the way to go.

www.retrosoundusa.com
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
69TowRig

That retrosound looks sweet, thanks for the link!
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote