The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
70 Suburban
Rods

Re: Does your wife help you work on you truck?

lol well mine does. she want to learn to change her oil cause im to LAZY to work on her car. but i do have to say she did ask to learn how to tig weld. and I do my own body work she want to learn that too. so yeah im happy with it. as long as she is helping me i can spend the shoe money on the truck
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:41 PM   #2
harlyworkr

My wife (aka "tool *****") helps me when asked and is always willing to say "Just go get a new one". During my current restore she *****ed about everything being new or rebuilt except the alignment spacers, now I have a gift certificate to LMC and new alignment spacers. PS, that's her 69 Camaro that I built and am restoring, or so she says.
harlyworkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Mine keeps the cold drinks coming or brings out dinner if im working late . She also likes the transformation from old truck to classic . I see her looking at my work and being proud of it . You know it looks bad then painted , wheels blasted and painted with new rings and caps , fresh bed wood , new carpet , she likes seeing it come together . I pile up parts so i have everything ready , then take on one project at a time . She is supportive and occasionally likes to ride around with me .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
LEEVON

6 years of marriage she's helped me pump the brakes a couple of times and once waxed my wheels. She doesn't say much about the trucks...just tolerates them. Doesn't like gasoline, exhaust, or gear oil smells. We don't see eye to eye on the $ but we've learned to compromise. Her name is Jessie, but she's no Jessi from Extreme 4x4, I don't think I'll ever catch her welding.

She's starting to see my point that at least I have a hobby that keeps me home, not at the bar or hunting somewhere.

Gotta love her though because she keeps me in line on everything else.

Last edited by LEEVON; 12-04-2008 at 11:58 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:04 AM   #5
Willys47

Re: Does your wife help you work on you truck? not a hope in
Old 12-05-2008, 12:14 AM   #6
drivethechevy

well she aint my wife she is just my girlfriend, but she loves trucks and puting accesories on them, the bad part is she lloves ford trucks she doesnt care what "old peice of crap chevy"(her words) i drive and that she has to bee seen in as long as when she buys accsesorys for her 03 f350 deseil i have to teach her how to install them all, i have helped her learn how to install a brush gaurd, wire up and mount kc lights, put a 4 in suspension lift in, put new tires on the rims, set up a winch, repair the winch and most importaly how to take care of her truck and keep everything working and looking nice in minnesota, it may have all been for a ford, but im hoping she sees the error of her ways someday and asks me to help her buy a chevy

1971 chevy k10 custom deluxe
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341257
1968 chevy k/10 fleet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334731
1948 desoto custom coupe fluid drive(family heirloom)
drivethechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
CheyenneShop

the BOSS lets me buy em' and for the most part thats about all the help I get. With three kids - 6,3,1 she stays pretty busy! She will help when I ask but usually not looking to. When I met here she had a 66 mustang, her dad still has his original 66 C-10 that she would drive if the stang was busted - so she gets it, and that is all I can ask for really!
68 C/10 shorty - "Picacho" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428379 sold to "93redsled"

Have you heard about C10 Talk? C10 Talk is a podcast all about C10 Trucks, the builders, the vendors, and most importantly the C10 Community. Check us out online at www.c10talk.com
CheyenneShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:05 AM   #8
53burb

Yup, she helps me if I ask her to. When I pulled my 350 out of the Burb and replaced it, then pulled it out again, she helped. And she also helped when I recently changed out the fuel pump on our '04 Burb. She's been asking me to get the '69 Burb going again & she has been asking for a 67-72 2wd longbed, but that will have to wait. And she does a good job of spotting old Chevy trucks as we are driving thru the city. I guess I'm lucky, but don't tell her I said that.
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:50 PM   #9
69halfton

wow, must be nice. I'll admit my Girlfriend loves driving around with me, and she even uncorked the headers once, all by herself! and then she rode around with me while i made all the noise!

she wanted to learn, so now she can name every single part under the hood. including the power steering pump & fuel pump. i was pretty impressed. im teaching her engine internals soon

If you can turn, Youre not going fast enough.

Favorite caption:

first car to 200 mph in the 1/4 mile, no parachute, drum brakes all the way around..
..back when men were men.
69halfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #10
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Ex g/f wouldnt help at all, new g/f at least hands me the beer when Im working under the truck, yep nice girl
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #11
b-rad
Account Suspended

i dont want my wife to help. thats my chill time
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
Indyuke

My wife won't help if it was her choice. But every once in a while she will if I ask. Then she goes all out. She's helped me change out engines... wrestle transmissions into place by hand and such. She's a tough one.

Course then I help her with the kitchen, soup making, crocheting, (I even know how to spell that word! ) and all the stuff that constitutes as her "toys". We think it's important to take care of each other.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #13
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

My wife is awesome. Always willing to help. And even asks to do so. I've had her blocking doors and such for me, even helped to weld a patch panel one time. She's great and it wouldn't be as fun working on the truck without her.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #14
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

My wife to be helps out willingly most of the time. I have had her holding parts while I tacked them, of course with all the proper gear. She started working in my old boss's body shop part time afew years back because she wanted to learn how to do it. The only real problem was, when i got my 92 Ford put back together after the cummins conversion, she didn't want to be seen in it because it was 3 different colors. I made her ride in it and she eventually got over that. Since we have been together 7 years and I am always working on stuff outside of work, she has gotten really interested in cars/trucks. She went out and baught a 95 Firebird Formula 2 years ago. She loves the power of it. My biggest surprise to me was when I found my uncle's old 40 ford for sale on CL. I told her the story and wasn't even going to try and buy it and she told me to call the bank and see what I could do.......... I was like am I hearing you correctly? We are saving for her, our, wedding. And lately she doesn't like it when I buy new projects. So I was really surprised at that one. Oh yeah, when I picked up the 69 K10 here recently, she didn't say a word. I knew she wasn't happy because it looks like a turd. Then we went to MN to pick up a rust freer cab and the guy had a pretty nice 71 orange and white 2 tone truck. Funny thing is now the K10 is her truck and it can be done first now. I can't complain, she's a keeper.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWD02 View Post
Hey guys I was just wondering how many of us are lucky enough to have our wives "willingly" help work on the projects. I realized how lucky I am when she logged on to the site and posted on a board trying to get me a Christmas present. I would have never known, except, someone made a comment regarding the fact that she did it. So of course I got the email to the forum.

Oh yeah... those who have to fight the other half just to buy a few parts..... "I'm sorry."
My wife will help any time. She almost took one of my headers off for me yesterday because i had to wrap it... ahaha...

Here are some pics of her in the shop.
THis is in NON help mode.

And her in work mode......

yes my mind was in the gutter. ahaaha..
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #16
420am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
yes my mind was in the gutter. ahaaha..
I think we can find a way to forgive you.

Waste my bandwidth and listen to some great tunes >> http://www.radioxenu.com (Live Shows with yours truly every Friday)
420am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #17
bdydrp97s10

most of the time i jsut put her to sanding things.. but she trys to help

Name:  Picture 138.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  Picture 143.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  39.5 KB
Old 12-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #18
STOCKISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdydrp97s10 View Post

Attachment 409251

Attachment 409252
Thats great she likes to help. Cute too, definately a keeper.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #19
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

my wife won't even help me sell trucks/parts. She just wants to know how much I'm getting.

Not only that, but whenever I try to sneak off and turn a few wrenches - all I hear is "are you almost done" or "when are you goona be done"

Then when I sell a part or a truck, she gets pissed I spend the money on more parts.

So, I guess to answer your question: NO.
blazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #20
AK72K10

First time posting, been enjoying the threads, especially the ones containing pics of the rides that well, considering the blood, sweat, & tears (Amongst other things) we pour into them, could very well be considered immediate family by some of us. I know I am fortunate, blessed even, to be able to share this with the woman of my dreams, my bride, and I doubt many 34 yr old guys can claim that. It all started for me in September this year, that was when I purchased my dream truck: a 1972 K10. She gave me the green light and I proceeded to jump in with both feet (And no experience I might add) into a full restore. A couple of manuals here, a few websites there, and several busted knuckles (Not to mention $$, the cases of Guinness Drought, and the mentorship of my Father-in-Law) and my truck is well, on the road. Thankfully my wife is very supportive. We just bought a house w/a 900sq ft garage, and she actually knows as much or more about trucks as I so we put it to good use, and I think the entertainment factor for her was too much to pass up anyways. But it doesn't hurt that she was raised with old school values on a farm in Washington, and that her father had a shop out back where she learned how to weld & helped him build/restore muscle cars & Chevy p/u trucks. Anyhow, she pitches in, even helped me remove and reinstall the hood just the other day (And let me tell you, that was a joy!); couldn't have done it without her. The work we have done and the time we have shared makes me appreciate the rumble of the 350 and the occasional thumbs-up while driving the Alaskan roads all that much more. OK, I digress, I am just thankful that I found a God fearin Finnish gal whos not afraid of gettin dirty, pitches in, and has the looks to match her heart. Only thing is, now she wants me to buy & restore a 68 Camaro with her, we shall see...
AK

------------------
1972 K10 Custom Deluxe 350/350
2008 Suburban LTZ White Diamond
1972 2WD F100 (Hey it was free!)
AK72K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #21
royo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdydrp97s10 View Post

Attachment 409251

Attachment 409252
PLEASE tell me there s more than that pos jack under that truck. you dont want to smush her now that she helpin
Old 12-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #22
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

My wife (before my child was born) would help anytime....And with anything....She does not mind as long as there is nothing Greasy....LOL....At one time when she was a estimator she had more certifications than i did....Although she could not do the work.....She knows what it takes to do something.......She is a keeper,well for the next 18 years anyways..lol.
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #23
shaneschevys
Its always something!

My wife helps me find them, part them out, & even helps at the swapmeets. 2 weeks ago she helped me change the transmission in her 72 suburban. Shes pretty helpful & knowlegible(sp) when it comes to these old trucks.
67 GMC One Ton Flatbed
64 Short Fleetside
57 Chevy 2DR Hard Top
57 Chevy 2dr wagon
65 f*** short fleet
63 C 60 Flatbed

Member of the patina club
shaneschevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #24
STOCKISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneschevys View Post
My wife helps me find them, part them out, & even helps at the swapmeets. 2 weeks ago she helped me change the transmission in her 72 suburban. Shes pretty helpful & knowlegible(sp) when it comes to these old trucks.
That's awesome!

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #25
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice, have fun on the camaro!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote