The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Why do Suburbans have 3 doors?

As the title states why would they go with such a configuration?

Was it for passenger safety as I have read before.

Or was it a cost cutting thing since SUV's as they are now known were not a go to family vehicle at the time. So borrowing a thought from Bucky Knudson, and car at every price point for every person.

As prior Burbs were essentially 2wd Blazers. Albeit with better passenger sitting arrangements, and more room to get in back.

Granted people through the years have come to expect more, and more for each new generation of vehicle.

Such as from my point of view SUV's really took off in 1992 when the GMT400 Burb came into the market. The 60's, and earlier wagons were the big hit till late 70's roughly. Then Conversion vans, and passenger vans were the "best" family vehicle as decided by the market. Coming in the early 80's mini vans became the dominate van in the van category. All the while wagons were still power players in the ultimate family vehicle category. Then 1992 came, and wow over night litterly suburbans everywhere as the ultimate. Getting into the 2000's, and CUV's have taken over somewhat. But the Suburban is still big time, and bigger then ever.

I left the Square body Burbs out as I am 45, and honestly do not remember anyone I was familiar with owning one for a family vehicle. Rather countless Vans of all styles, and wagons. Of course living in the LA area can taint my remembrances.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
Killer Bee

Re: Why do Suburbans have 3 doors?

I believe for the same reason some passenger vans, limousines, or any any multiple passenger row vehicle had curb side access for passengers and only driver door on street side..

cool r&d rig posted in here Fourth door

either way, still trying to figure it out

Old 05-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

It is one of those questions no one will ever know the truth about. My opinion is that GM was seeing Jeep and International gaining market share with their 4 door utility vehicles and in typical GM fashion found a cheaper route and then put a marketing spin on it for safety. If you read the link below on model development you will see there was a 4 door clay model made but it never made it farther than the clay model.
Once the 4 doors came out in 73 is when Suburban sales started to really take off. In hindsight GM made a mistake with the 3 door instead of a 4 door model at least sales wise.
I really like having such an oddity, and all the conversations it starts.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=7720919
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 05-16-2020 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Forgot link.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

The clay model is crazy. I wish I was born in 50 so I could of owned the cool New vehicles.

Plus food was better then too
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:39 PM   #5
chewychevy67

I believe it was standard that all rear passengers were to exit to the side of the sidewalk. If you look at 1940s vehicles most doors only have locks on the passenger door and not the driver side. It was this way so the driver would be made to exit the passenger side if they desired both doors to be locked. The 1940 ford truck my brother has is this way from the factory
chewychevy67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:51 AM   #6
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

When I watch old black and white movies, I always wondered why the driver most often slid across the seat and got out on the passenger side. (Sidewalk side) If you Google it, it was considered safer.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:39 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Suburbans have three doors to allow better rear seat access than in prior years. That is why it is on the curb side. This is when the Suburban began being more of a family vehicle.

Maybe the question should be why don't Suburbans have 4 doors. For me, that answers the 3 dr question. Adding the third door was a great improvement and a safe way for rear passengers to exit, as well as a convenient (safe) side access to cargo area. Then when the body style changed came the 4th door to be just like the car-based station wagons. The Suburban took two steps to go from utility vehicle to jumbo family wagon

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote