The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2023, 06:38 PM   #1
402Bowtie

Build Date Discrepancy

I would like some opinions...

This truck on BAT has a SPID and VIN plate with matching serial numbers. However, the VIN plate has the incorrect rivets. The listing also includes a build sheet, but the section with the serial number is missing.

Based on the SPID, which appears to be original, I would have guessed an April '72 build date. However, the build sheet shows a November build date.

Question for the experts: Should the options on the build sheet match the SPID identically? Or do some options on the SPID get called out in further detail on the build sheet (maybe Z84, for example). Can anyone identify an obvious clue that the build sheet is not original to 2Z162151?

I'm leaning towards thinking the build sheet belongs to a different truck, but it appears the options are very similar.
Attached Images

Last edited by 402Bowtie; 12-05-2023 at 06:51 PM.
402Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 07:16 PM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Build Date Discrepancy

They won't match exactly, because of the way some options are packaged.

For example, the build sheet might show an uplevel grille, body side moldings and wheel opening moldings, but the SPID might show that as some kind of exterior decor package.

But - the VIN appears on both the SPID and the build sheet. If the VINs don't match then they are not for the same truck.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 07:37 PM   #3
402Bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
They won't match exactly, because of the way some options are packaged.

For example, the build sheet might show an uplevel grille, body side moldings and wheel opening moldings, but the SPID might show that as some kind of exterior decor package.

But - the VIN appears on both the SPID and the build sheet. If the VINs don't match then they are not for the same truck.

K
Thanks Keith. The first part of what you said I think matches with what I'm seeing comparing the build sheet and spid. However, the build sheet has the serial number torn off, so I'm not certain to which truck the build sheet belongs.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:07 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Why would you expect an April 72 date? Unless I'm missing what I learned from Keith, the serial numbers vary by some factory locations. You've probably seen the build date thread project, if not, take a look. Ooops, it's your project

All you can do is compare available call-outs on the sheet and SPID, and if they all match good.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:08 PM   #5
Keith Seymore

They are different trucks.

The model on the build sheet is KE10734; the model on the SPID is KE10934.

One is a Short wheel base; one is a long.

They way the options line up is pretty dang impressive, though.

Truck has a big block in it (and 396 callouts on the fenders); both the SPID and the build sheet say 350 cu in.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 12-05-2023 at 08:19 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:09 PM   #6
54blackhornet

I have echoed this before but does anyone believe the present generation of GM pickups will obtain this level of scrutiny in the future ? My thoughts are no way ! Today there is just not the attention span to allow it to happen….
Old 12-05-2023, 08:32 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
I have echoed this before but does anyone believe the present generation of GM pickups will obtain this level of scrutiny in the future ? My thoughts are no way ! Today there is just not the attention span to allow it to happen….
Right, brains got all messed up with the internet, SMART phones, automation and such. We no longer need to calculate math, read a map or spell. Most people don't even know how to solve problems, because they don't have to or would rather not. Short locating a WIFI signal.

I can just see an auction block, big money for a P/U. Try to explain the finer details, and the buyer with a blank look says "neat", "neat", "neat".
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:42 PM   #8
402Bowtie

Quote:

Truck has a big block in it (and 396 callouts on the fenders); both the SPID and the build sheet say 350 cu in.

K
That answers it. I missed the model number. Thanks Keith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Why would you expect an April 72 date? Unless I'm missing what I learned from Keith, the serial numbers vary by some factory locations. You've probably seen the build date thread project, if not, take a look. Ooops, it's your project

All you can do is compare available call-outs on the sheet and SPID, and if they all match good.
Lol! I'm definitely going cross-eyed looking at the numbers so much lately.

2Z162xxx trucks were in built in April '72 according to the build date project thread. Just this build sheet (which now I'm certain is for another truck) threw me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
Yes, I think you are correct. The peculiarities and finer points of knowledge regarding these trucks has definitely sucked me in!
Old 12-05-2023, 08:46 PM   #9
CKfan

Quote:

K
The 1st thing I noticed was the Model # issues.
People go to great links to get "supporting docs" for their trucks which enhances the value. Sometimes an honest mistake, other times..........
I have run into many issues like this lately and have wasted lots of miles traveling to see a potential buy. Bummer its come to this in our hobby.
CKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:09 PM   #10
Bob B.

396 in a 4X4? Not sure if it's a long bed or short bed. No rosette rivets on the VIN plate? (wonder what VIN is stamped on the frame rail!). Already bid to the moon? Run!
Old 12-05-2023, 11:12 PM   #11
Bob B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKfan View Post
The 1st thing I noticed was the Model # issues.
People go to great links to get "supporting docs" for their trucks which enhances the value. Sometimes an honest mistake, other times..........
I have run into many issues like this lately and have wasted lots of miles traveling to see a potential buy. Bummer its come to this in our hobby.
Couldn't agree more. This has been going on a long time in the Mopar market, just looked at a real funny '70 Challenger T/A.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:25 PM   #12
Jason Banks

Our own GeorgieB giving em hell in the comments on BaT.

I personally wouldn't own a truck that had the pop rivet vin tag. So many trucks on BaT have the pop rivet non rosette vin tag!
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 02:14 AM   #13
leddzepp

This auction was from August 2022

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 02:24 AM   #14
402Bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
This auction was from August 2022
Yes, I happened to come across the auction listing when looking for build sheets for the build date project thread.
Old 12-06-2023, 06:12 AM   #15
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
Our own GeorgieB giving em hell in the comments on BaT.

I personally wouldn't own a truck that had the pop rivet vin tag. So many trucks on BaT have the pop rivet non rosette vin tag!
Remember the rosette rivets are available if you know where to look—so even that cannot be fully depended on.
ghackett1 is offline   Reply With Quote